RFI - Foiled RAAF Hasegawa P-40E

Out2gtcha

I share in your dismay about the judging at these meets, and what IS, and IS NOT judged. Craftsmanship is always the most important criteria, and is simply a term that describes how well something is done. I think this is where the judging becomes grayed. Many of the judges think that adding detail simply adds to the potential for error, and it is rare to give credit for the amount of research or effort a modeler puts into any model. The modeler who builds a replica in lieu of a model is now at a disadvantage to the "weekend wonder". Models in a meet should be judged on equal craftsmanship criteria with consideration for the degree of difficulty and effort. Documenting the research and build, as you do, is part of the fun of the modeling process.However, judges typically state that they do not have time to look through documentation.

I think you should take your competition results with a grain of salt. Your real judges are here on the forum, and it is obvious that these modelers, from the world over, believe that your modeling skills are second to none. I love what you do, and thank you for taking the time and effort to take us along with you through the trials and tribulations of building unique and wonderful models. The best results come to you from your friends and fellow modelers without competition, and that recognition is worth a lot of shiny awards.......

Ken Friend