Tamiya P-51D, Maybe Big Beautiful Doll?

CANicoll

Finally getting down to the last stages, finding that I still had decal problems and a few broken pieces to deal with as well.  On a lark and based on some of the model pictures here as well as from the internet of period photos I took the jump and plumbed the drop tanks.  I'm a bit of a pack rat so in my stash I had some solid core wire that I thought would be perfect for the task.  I drilled out the indentations already in the kit piece and in the drop tanks as well.  I painted the insulation black.  

Z%20BBD%201a_zpso4twkze1.jpg

It took a bit of fitting to get the lengths correct, made more difficult by the solid core wire that is fairly stiff (but a plus for adding rigidity).  I used thick CA glue inside the gun port part to really anchor the wire figuring (correctly) that I'd be doing some further bending to get the wires properly situated on the drop tanks.

I really like the effect but still need to paint on the hose clamps.

Z%20BBD%206_zps8wij1hnn.jpg

Also I was literally seconds away from attaching the filler cap to the drop tank when I realized I had the wrong cap - late model drop tanks had the flush cap (verified by pictures).  Had to go back into the bag of unused parts to find the right ones and hit the paint again. 

Taking the masking off the canopy I somehow had broken the canopy reinforcing arch in two.  I was able to glue to back together but have not put it back in the canopy yet.  Also, had a bit of bleed on one of the front masks I need to fix, but am definitely winding down (FINALLY!)

You will probably notice that the red outline is now a lot thicker than previous photos.  For some reason, the Zotz red outline would not adhere to the model and flaked off on handling - even under a light coat of clear.  Back to the decal set and pulled in the EagleCal outline which adhered beautifully and set down as usual with the EagleCal decals.

Z%20BBD%203_zps9yhru8dp.jpg

Not perfect, but after 2 years, happy to be wrapping this up!

Z%20BBD%202_zps0xkzam2a.jpg

Z%20BBD%205_zpsltsfhnc4.jpg

Z%20BBD%207_zpsvgyjqdxa.jpg

Will finish her up this weekend and take some more complete photosets and post over in the Ready for Inspection forum.  

A few pics after a bit more clean-up - still trying to figure out how much weathering I'm going to do but now have the wings sealed up with a gloss coat getting ready.  Fuselage is already sealed.

A%20BBD%208_zpsuxexbhdi.jpg

A%20BBD5_zpszqj6mvfp.jpg

Here is the 'little brother' 1/48 scale kit I did many years ago...

A%20BBD4_zpscuj7nx0k.jpg

A%20BBD2_zpsqsgthdce.jpg

Last post here I think.  I'll put the final over in 'Ready for Inspection'.  THANKS everyone for all of the kind comments and support.  Really nice to get back into the hobby on a high note so really appreciate it.  Next up is a 'What If' American Volunteer Group P-51D in Flying Tigers marking based on the Dragon Kit.  

• 6 months later...