MiG-17PF Fresco

Azgaron

This will be my first NMF jet in 32nd scale! According to what I could tell from the sprues it's copyrighted 1999 so it should as I understand fit within the frame of this GB! If not, please move it! :blink:

I thought I might as well start with some pics of the box and contents!

mig-17pf_fresco_box_640x480.jpg

There are two large frames with body and wing parts, and two smaller frames with cockpit and engine parts!

mig-17pf_fresco_sprue_2_640x480.jpg

mig-17pf_fresco_sprue_4_640x480.jpg

mig-17pf_fresco_sprue_3_640x480.jpg

And one frame with clear parts and a bag with rubber tires!

mig-17pf_fresco_sprue_1_640x480.jpg

One set of decals!

mig-17pf_fresco_decals_640x480.jpg

Finally a sample of the instructions!

mig-17pf_fresco_instructions_640x480.jpg

One nice feature is that you can show the engine!

I'll get started right away with the cockpit!

Cheers,

Håkan

If everything work out as planned you will! :huh:

I've been preparing several parts for paint and looking at conversion tables for the colors!

I've looked around for pics of the engine!

Cheers,

Håkan

I wonder, could this be one of the reasons you've never seen one built? ;)

mig-17pf_fresco_ejector_pin_marks_1_640x480.jpg

I've started to clean 'em up, but it ain't easy sanding inside the fuselage!

mig-17pf_fresco_ejector_pin_marks_2_640x480.jpg

There's a few things I wonder. Is there anywhere I can find pics of a split MiG-17?

Does the end of the wing root really sit on the separated rear part, and how does it look inside?

The inside of the jet pipe seems to be pretty slick. Can I just make a pipe and insert into the kit pipe to make it look more like the real thing, or should I just paint the inside black (as no one sees it anyway)?

Seems like Trumpeter have simplified thing a tad too much for a kit that can show the engine. Maybe looks better in 1/48!

Not an expensive kit, I know, so I guess you get what you pay for!

I'm thinking of adding some wires and stuff to the engine. I'll be looking at pics and use a lot of artistic license! :)

Cheers,

Håkan

Thanks for the tip Harv! :)

Why didn't I think of looking for MiG-15 pics as well, as the engine basicly is the same!

No I haven't seen any pics of Harolds cockpit! Doesn't seem to bee any pics on his site!

Cheers,

Håkan

Thanks for the link Harv!

Good looking stuff he makes!

Meanwhile I've been working with the exhaust pipe!

mig-17pf_fresco_exhaust_pipe_1_640x480.jpg

Not entrely sure if it should look like this or how to get it entirely even! Then there's a slight problem with the larger diameter in one end!

Won't see much there though, and the fan can still be seen!

Perhaps if I find something with the same diameter that I can wrap the plastic sheet around and dip it into boiling water!

Cheers,

Håkan

Hi Håkan,

Nice you tackle the Trumpeter Mig 17PF!

i'm building the same kit (Hobbycraft box) as a Mig-17F (withhout the radar nose) in Egyptian markings

Reading the thread, I think I can add some more information.

Yes, the Mig 17 is a derivative of the Mig 15.

It has a longer fuselage, higher swept wings i.e. the sweep angle is larger

and, more importantly for you if you intend to display the engine:

It has the same engine as the Mig 15, with an afterburner fitted.

This means the exhaust pipe is totally different, compared with the Mig 15.

If you don't display the engine, just use the pipe you're making now. ;)

And in that case, glue the forward and aft part of each fuselage half together on a flat surface.

Fit of parts is so-so.

Otherwise, you'll have to start all over again.

The pipe ha a varying diameter, being the largest where the afterburner is located :)

I'm afraid Trumpeter made some mistakes and omissions with this kit...

The radar nose is awful. The central radardome is too small and the splitter plate in the front intake part is too wide.

It doesn't look like the real thing.

Also, the stays between the outer fuselage and the central portion of the intake are to lare and too far forward.

you can stil remove the offending stubs and their rectangular location in from the fuselage.

Replace with something a bit smaller and furhter aft in the fuselage.

Plenty of wood glue wil be required to fair everything in in the visible area of the air intakes.

Trumpeter forgot the ventral fin below the fuselage. Is a thin sheet of metal, except where the tail bumper is located (which is present on the fuselage parts.

The holes for the droptanks are at the wrong location below the wing, easy to correct.

O, yeah, while we're at it, remove those silly protrusions from the leading edge of the ailerons and glue them in the rest of the wings.

The main wheelbay's are correct for a Mig-15, not for a Mig-17, but no-one will notice... i didn't modify them... :huh:

To help you with your build,

The following link contains excellent drawings of the Mig 17 on a French website with numerous scale drawings of aircraft:

http://membres.lycos.fr/wings2/3vues/mig17_1_3v.jpg

http://membres.lycos.fr/wings2/3vues/mig17_2_3v.jpg

And yes, cybermodeler has also a walk around of a Mig-17PF, i found it with Google:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/mig-17/mig-17pf.shtml

There are many more!

Good luck with your build, I'll follow it with interest

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks for the answer Peter!

Now I only need to comprehend all the information! :rolleyes:

Not sure how to make a part conic shape! Perhaps it would be easier if I split the exhaust pipe and dress each side separately!

I never thought of using wood glue to achieve smooth surfaces!

Is it the two small tabs on the ailerons that I should cut of and glue in the wings! Should the surface be flush too?

I found those drawings and printed them out earlier today! Might come in handy! :)

Much work to do it seems, but I'll see what I can do!

Cheers,

Håkan

If you're lucky, there were some Cutting Edge resin bits for this kit, including a splitter plate and the missing fillet for the underside of the fuselage.

Canopy replacement is a must. The kit one, like the '15 cockpit, is a figment of somebody's imagination.

Tim W.

Meanwhile, trying to figure out some things, I've been working with a few things!

I started to clean up the parts for the trolley!

mig-17pf_fresco_engine_trolley_1_640x480.jpg

I've also did some cleaning up inside the fuselage parts!

mig-17pf_fresco_clean_up_1_640x480.jpg

Then I assembled the wings and fins too!

mig-17pf_fresco_wings_and_fins_2_640x480.jpg

Sorry for the somewhat crappy pic!

I marked with a line and arrow where I understand I'm supposed to cut and move the tabs to the wing instead!

Now all I need to do is contact Harold about a pit, and try to find some Cutting Edge parts and a canopy!

I'll be working som more on the engine and trolley, but other than that, I don't think I can do much more before I have the parts I need!

One more thing that I come to think about. How is the body halves attached to each other? Not with snap fit as on the kit I imagine! :)

One thing I'm thinking of is adding a thin sheet of plastic around the edge of the front or rear end, with a slightly lesser diameter than the fuselage!

Then I'll make a lot of holes to ressemble the places where the screws will go. Then I'll make simular holes in the other half of the fuselage!

This is purely my imagination, as I have no idea how it really looks! :)

Adding some internal stuff would be nice too!

Cheers,

Håkan

Hi Håkan

Thanks for the answer Peter!

You're welcome

Now I only need to comprehend all the information! :)

Not sure how to make a part conic shape! Perhaps it would be easier if I split the exhaust pipe and dress each side separately!

I think so. Below you'll find some pictures of a restored american example, I found on the internet a few years ago.

I never thought of using wood glue to achieve smooth surfaces!

Is it the two small tabs on the ailerons that I should cut of and glue in the wings! Should the surface be flush too?

Well, wood glue has many uses in the modelling world. I use it for many years now :)

And yes, the two small tabs it is, as you correctly show on your picture.

Here are the pictures from the internet:

The exhaust pipe:

post-4267-1251653749.jpg

The engine:

post-4267-1251653791.jpg

Note the connectors for the aft fuselage half on the wing root.

next picture next post :lol:

Here's a picture of the Mig 17 without aft fuselage on the tarmac.

post-4267-1251654531.jpg

And here is a picture of the rear fuselage half removed:

post-4267-1251653937.jpg

Hope it helps!

note that the aircraft has non-original white painted undercarriage, wheel wells and - doors to aid maintenance :)

Cheers,

Peter

Harv, thanks for the info! I'll check Squadron then! :)

Thanks for the great pics Johan!

They'll help a lot, or at least I hope so! ;) It all comes down to how much I'm able to do! :)

I'll try to figure how most lines and cables go and try to do something simular!

Seems like I'm up for quite some work! :)

As far as I can tell there seems to be some kind of rim around both the for and aft fuselage halves! Is it to keep the joint tight?

Still not sure how the halves are kept together!

Then I'll see if I can shape the existing nozzle into what can be seen on the pics!

Split the pipe today and started dressing the inside! Pics when I'm done! :)

Cheers,

Håkan

After looking at the pics I noticed that they've made the splitting point all wrong!

mig-17pf_fresco_body_split_640x480.jpg

As I understand it should be where I drawn the line in the pic!

Seems like I have some cutting to do! :)

Cheers,

Håkan