F4D-1 Skyray VF-13 1962: Update 9/19 Forward fuselage

EmperorKai

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had a chance to update this post for awhile, but I have been poking along on this build.  So I have lots to share this time around.

IMG_0868_600_zps4mhxs7rw.jpg

First up, the elevons.  After bringing the main airframe together and test fitting these, I felt there was too much of a gap where they insert into the trailing edge of the wing.  They were split open on the interior portion and expanded to they would fill the gap better.  Some additional sanding helped improve the gap.  I missed taking a pic of the gaps before hand.

IMG_0874_600_zpsggultv0l.jpg

Once the gaps on the trailing edge were addressed, it shifted how they fit slightly in relation to the fuselage.  The gap along the fuselage edge was shimmed so the elevons correctly fill the space once aligned with the fuselage and ailerons.

IMG_0814_600_zpsp3xu6skm.jpg

Next up, adventures in decals.  Once I had composed the graphics and arranged for a half sheet, a draft print was run.  The colors will have much better presence on the high quality print run.  As a note going forward, red displays funny in these pics- they actually look pretty good when looking at them. I should also mention that these are specifically for AC 102 during the 1962 cruise.  I found several variations of the AK tail codes so I included two versions.

A single coat of Testors decal bonder was sprayed over the top and allowed to dry overnight.

IMG_0817_600_zpsnleywbpx.jpg

The first question was whether they would react to decal solvent and how they would take to surface detail.  Using a Revell 1/32 P-47 as a worst case scenario (raised panel lines and RIVETS!), a sample was cut out and applied.  Here, the decals reacted in frightful fashion to decal solvent.

IMG_0832_600_zpsazeaw91k.jpg

After settling and drying, it was evident that there is a limit to how much they can take.  Some minor tenting, and some crinkly effect remains.  It also appeared that the ink was disintegrating and needed a second coat of bonder.

IMG_0844_600_zps2nwxokgh.jpg

Here, a test on the aileron with another single coat sample.  Aside from a slight mis-alignment, the result was better.  I found that once decal solvent was applied, there was a very small window to play with the decal (such as nudging for alignment) before the decal would tear.  Hence the crinkling in the center.  This also confirmed that the graphics were sized correctly.

IMG_0859_600_zpszaycagoq.jpg

A final test of the single coat sample on the rudder.  The black ink started to separate to a more extreme degree than the red.

IMG_0851_600_zpsgrujc4yv.jpg

A second coat of bonder was applied to the remaining sheet, and as a result, the decal laid down much better (just a little crinkling).  The decals are noticeably thicker, though not to a critical degree.

IMG_0852_600_zpspjw3f8uy.jpg

A close up here where the decal did crack while positioning it on the aileron.  With the second coat, they are not as flexible.

IMG_0866_600_zpswpda0bnv.jpg

Taking a step back to get a sense of the net result.  The home-grown decals approach will require some finesse, but the markings are pretty darn cool and I'm both motivated and confident it will be worth the effort.

I have a few more pics, so this update will run into a second posting.

Kai

(edited for grammar)

Edited by EmperorKai

Hi Kai,

Great work so far. I admire your ingenuity.

Given your decal woes, have you considered painted on markings as an alternative? The scheme you've chosen would not be too difficult to mask, as it's mostly comprised of straight lines. For the black stars, I'm sure you could find a commercially produced set that would fit the bill.

Rich

Work on the intakes has been ongoing for some time, but I'm now at a point where it comes together. 

IMG_0392_600_zpsxuoughyn.jpg

Here, a pic taken earlier in the build (before the wings were glued together).  Readily apparent in this view from the bottom are the gaps where the intakes meet the fuselage.

IMG_0397_600_zpsohun5f9j.jpg

In this view from the top, the intakes have been positioned tight against the fuselage, but now the join along the leading edge of the wing is mismatched.

IMG_0404_600_zpsaaerr0nv.jpg

A view from the front to get a sense of the potential reshaping that would be necessary to smoothly join the wing to the intakes if they were used as-is.  The intakes fit against the side of the forward fuselage VERY well.  

f4dfuse_62_600_zpseklhgseo.jpg

However, when compared to references, the splitter plates would be a little too close to the fuselage if pushed inwards.

IMG_0876_600_zpsvssaskmk.jpg

To push the intakes out from the fuselage a bit more, they intakes were shimmed along the join with the fuselage with .040 strip styrene.

IMG_0884_600_zpspkqydkx8.jpg

Here a frontal view after addition .015 and .010 shims were added.  CA was used to smoothed out the join.

IMG_0962_600_zps2jrnwjdl.jpg

Once the fitting question was resolved, the intakes were masked off.  Here, the ducts have been painted white with Gunze C69 Off White, masked and an initial coat of Gunze C327 Red FS11136.   The inside of the splitter plates were painted with the upper fuselage color (Gunze C307 Gray FS36320) since will be difficult to get at this area once the intakes are in place.

IMG_0907_600_zpsuazsoaud.jpg

Lastly, the cockpit is almost done- just a few painting details left to go.

IMG_0928_600_zpsmbczvzb5.jpg

Here, the cockpit taped together for fit.

IMG_0939_600_zpsmwuxnnwt.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Kai

(edited for grammar)

Edited by EmperorKai

Hi Kai,

Great work so far. I admire your ingenuity.

Given your decal woes, have you considered painted on markings as an alternative? The scheme you've chosen would not be too difficult to mask, as it's mostly comprised of straight lines. For the black stars, I'm sure you could find a commercially produced set that would fit the bill.

Rich

Hi Rich-

Thanks and yes, definitely!  I decided to try this route mainly to explore the process.  If it doesn't work out, my plan B is to mask and paint the markings.  Luckily I have access to a die-cutter for masks, and if I end up going this route, I'll share this approach as well.

Kai

Edited by EmperorKai

Guest Peterpools

Kai

Glad to see the Skyray is moving along and you have the fit issues under hand and in control;. Sure looks good. The decals look as if it is going to be a fight to the finish and my money is riding on you.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Lovely work, Kai! I agree with Rich, though. I'd paint on whatever markings are possible to do so, and just print decals for the rest. The red/white stripes on the elevators is a good example: I'd paint the red and white stripes, and then just print the stars as a decal.

Looking forward to more!

Kev

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys!  Thanks for keeping me going.

As usual, I've been plugging away at it a little at a time and have some updated pics.  Have more to show actually, but I'll start with these for now.

IMG_0888_600_zpspbqybaem.jpg

To backtrack just a bit, the intakes are tricky to mask along the interior edge, and are much easier if done BEFORE gluing them into place.  Paul's instructions point this out and it is good advice.

IMG_0961_600_zpsewvqh1le.jpg

A pic before the forward fuselage is joined to give an idea of the join lines.

IMG_0964_600_zpsowlzvmou.jpg

A last look at the compressor face.  Once the intakes are in place, only a small part of this will be visible.

IMG_0967_600_zps9zp8tvy5.jpg

Here, the intakes are dry-fitted in place and not quite lined up yet.  It is also possible to see here where the underside of the upper clam shell was ground down with a Dremel to make the joining step go trouble free.

IMG_0983_600_zps1zksdiwm.jpg

The intakes and fuselage finally in place with CA.  The intakes went in first, and were aligned with the fuselage and wing.  Then they were cleaned up and the seam lines filled.  Then the fuselage went in last- everything went according to plan without any issues.

IMG_0973_600_zpsue7wiyie.jpg

The join line on the spine had a considerable gap, which was filled with plastic and CA.

IMG_0978_600_zpsv9j6xa9g.jpg

The joins between the forward fuselage, clamsell and inakes all come together here.  All the previous prep work has paid off nicely and very little is left to do here.

IMG_0987_600_zpsyfrrulka.jpg

Stepping back a bit to see how it all comes together.

IMG_1023_600_zps1q1p4z0b.jpg

Once the seams were all cleaned up, lost panel lines were re-scribed and missing panel lines were added.  There is also a dimple that was added on the underside, seen here on the right side of the pic.

IMG_1020_600_zps83igs7gi.jpg

Lots of additional panel lines were added on the underside, mainly along the center sections.  The aft fuselage section features prominent rivets, especially around the unpainted section, which were added.

Will have more shortly- thanks for looking!

Kai

• 2 months later...