1/32nd scale B-29 Superfortress - ID Models Vacform

Tom, I found this forum the other day and spent over an hour going through the in-progress pics of this build. This is just an incredible build and I can't believe you finished it as quick as you did. I've had models on my desk longer than this that I build straight from the box. I hope that I can reach this point someday and make something that looks half as good as this.

Great job! And thanks for the inspiration! :goodjob:

Congrats on finishing your mammoth project Tom. It's been a revelation watching this one come together and I greatly admire your tenacity, problem solving and stamina.

The highest accolade I can think to bestow on this build is that it looks like a high end injection molded kit.

Bravo!

an amazing effort. true modeling skills on this one. very clever solutions executed. really enjoyed following your WIP reports on ths one.

now for the big question: Where and How will you display this beauty?

Hi Tom,

Sorry to go a little off-topic, but I just noticed the Qantas 747SP on your website. How was the Welsh kit to build?

Kev

It was a fantastic little kit.

In my opinion, Welsh Models are some of the best vacforms around. Once the parts are out of the backing sheet, they go together like any injection molded kit. The kit even supplied bulkheads and spars which are a massive help. The only difference is the need to line the joins with thin plastic card for a better gluing surface and thus stronger join.

The white metal landing gear set was also well cast, and beautiful resin engines are supplied too.

I 'cut my teeth' on Welsh vacs and for those who are tempted to give a vac a go and haven't yet plucked up the courage (not that it is needed!) I heartily recommend a Welsh kit upon which to enter the dark side...

Tom

Your kind words are very much appreciated...

It was worth the hard graft and I'm pleased with the result.

Now... when to start my 1/32nd B-50 conversion... :hmmm:

Tom

I want a Tu-4, with the 23mm cannons! No, wait, the turbo-prop Chinese AWACS version!

Regards,

Jason

P.S. For those who don't know, the Tu-4 was the Soviet reverse-engineered B-29, almost identical visually to the B-29, although there were hundreds of detail changes.