P-47D The Farmingdale Jug PT2: UPDATE 9/1/13: FINISHED

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Matt

I'm with you on all accounts. I've been a lot more selective on what I buy, as the cost just keeps on going up and up.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

THE FARMINGDALE JUG

HASEGAWA P-47D ‘NOSE ART’

PT 2

What I originally thought would take a few nights or a week at most, has stretched into nearly four weeks of work. Being in the swimming pool business, this is our busiest time of the year and modeling time, except for my day off, was nearly nonexistent. Of course, the other side of the equation was the sheer amount of parts and details the MDC comes with, coupled with a very blurry set of instructions / photos, made for a lot of trial and error and quite a bit of back tracking. The front office is nearing completion, with a few more details to be added, some dry brushing and a bit of touch up detail painting being needed. Getting this bad boy to fit and sit correctly in the fuselage is going to take time. Learning as I’m going, it’s been quite an experience so far.

Enjoy

Peter

DSC_0004D.jpg

DSC_0005D.jpg

DSC_0006D.jpg

DSC_0007D.jpg

Guest Peterpools

THE FARMINGDALE JUG

HASEGAWA P-47D ‘NOSE ART’

PT 3

With 90% of the front office done, it was time for what seemed like hours of sanding and fitting to work the assembly into place. A cradle was then built up from square Evergreen rod and Testors Liquid Cement, which worked out perfect, since it was a hit and miss proposition as I went. The idea was to keep things where they should be, while the CCA would set up for a permanent install (just not yet). Of course after seeing the photos, it was obvious, there was still quite a bit of sanding dust in the cockpit, which would need to be cleaned out. Not a problem, as the cockpit is only resting in place and will be removed for one last thorough cleaning and then permanently installed.

The lower cowl flaps were a bit on the thick side and they where cleaned up and thinned out with a X-acto #11blade for a more scale appearance. Once done, I realized you would be able to see right through them and also through the turbo waste gate door (hope I’m calling them by the right names) and directly up and into the empty fuselage. Evergreen stripe boxes were built up and painted black to solve the problem. I know the interior of the aircraft should be yellow zinc chromate but I wanted it to appear as you would be looking into a dark fuselage with no light to illuminate the interior. After the boxes were done, I followed up with some epoxy for extra added insurance and then air brushed then flat black.

Last up was the exhaust, with its waste gate. Hasegawa just molds a so exhaust and a vertical strut to represent the exhaust, which just doesn’t look very convincing. The exhaust opining was drilled out and Evergreen rod was cut and fitted, along with a waste gate door for a better look. Sorry for the poor photo but after painting and weathering, it should show up better in new photos.

Well, that’s about as far as I have progressed and next up, will be the Vector P&W R-2800 Big Bad Radial. Of curse, I’m not sure how much of it will be seen at this point, as I’m flying by the seat of my pants! They called it dead reckoning when I learned to fly. Yup, me, Orville and Wilbur.

Enjoy

Peter

DSC_0003E.jpg

DSC_0001E1.jpg

DSC_0007E.jpg

DSC_0006E.jpg

DSC_0005F.jpg

DSC_0009F.jpg

DSC_0010F.jpg

DSC_0008F.jpg

WOW Peter, the office looks great I'll think about getting the MDC for mine. Oh yea, the seat belts look great too! :whistle: ....Harv :goodjob:

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Harv.

The MDC cockpit is well worth the money for the detail and looks. Even though they provide a complete set of seat belts and harnesses plus buckles and latches, I used the RB seat belt set, which is top notch. This is all new ground for me and I can't believe how much time I spent dry fitting and sanding to get the cockpit to fit correctly but in the end, I would do it over again in a heartbeat.

Peter

Wow Peter, it looks great. You're really moving along now. Already getting the fuselage ready to glue together, that's a great pace. Can't wait to see more on here, the P-47 does look pretty cool, maybe I'll have to put on together here in the future....

Matt :party0023:

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Appreciate the kind words. Guess the old saying of a lot of little steps adds up to one big one. Will be trying to keep moving along a a steady clip and once the fuselage is together, tonight or tomorrow, it's time to tackle the Big P&W.

Thanks

Peter

Ahhhhh the Hasegawa P-47 and the JH Models stand!!!

Great combo Pete!! I have both, and they go together well, fit nice and do exactly what you purchased them for.......... :D

Has jug is a great kit, and that stand is immeasurably adjustable and handy (even on my damn near 800mm long beast). Looking good mate :speak_cool:

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by Out2gtcha

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Brian

The Has Jug is a great kit and the stand was a great modeling tool addition, which I learned about right here on the one and only; LSP Forum.

You're right that if it can handle your Beast, the Jug is a piece of cake.

Peter

Looking great

Note with the wings. Do not glue the trailing edge of the wings halve along the flap area. The wing is to thin at the wing root trailing edge and will leave a large step between the wing and fillet if you glue the halves tight. If you leave this un-glued you can separate the wing trailing edge for a nice flush wing root joint that requires no filler. The gap in the trailing edge is hidden by the flaps.

Good luck

Ron