Shadow Hobby Thinnerline Circle Cutter

BloorwestSiR

I recently picked up this new circle cutter released by Shadow Hobby.

20170626_093718.jpg

It's a new style of circle cutter without the drawbacks of the much more common compass style circle cutters many of us have and use.

It's basically a large cartridge bearing with a plastic (acrylic?) insert mounted to the inner bearing race. There's a non-slip ring mounted onto the backside of the outer race to keep it from slipping.

The cutter comes with a single 60° blade which according to the instructions is suitable for materials up to 0.1mm in thickness. There are 30° and 45° blades available as well for thicker materials.

20170626_093805.jpg

There are gradations marked along the slide to assist in setting the needed diameter.

20170626_093847.jpg

The blade is inserted into the holder and then you adjust the depth accordingly. They recommend using a cutting mat under the circle cutter to prolong the life of the blade.

I tested it out cutting some circles out of green painter's tape. You basically put the cutter on the tape, set the diameter, rotate it counterclockwise a revolution or two and you're done.

20170626_094016.jpg

20170626_094145.jpg

The nice thing about this cutter is there is no centre point/hole that you would get from the compass style cutters and it doesn't wobble or slip.

It also lets you cut really small circles. This one is just over 1 mm in width as you can see by the ruler. Being able to make circles that small should help for masking dial faces on those kits that have clear instrument panels.

20170626_094547.jpg

I'm really happy with my purchase and if you do order one, I would recommend getting some spare blades at the same time.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

It's one of those things my head says 'oh you'll use that a lot Ade, best get one' but in reality I know it'll not get used as much as I think, probably not even half of what I thought it might. I'll stick with the pre cut ones from Maketar for now. Have a mountain of them to get through anyway.

$50 & $3 for a blade?

I'll make do with my trusty old hole punch.

Best part is when this tool was first discovered by modelers I saw it posted on FB, and the price at the time was $7.95.  Too bad I couldn't figure out how to order one then.

A quick Google search has produced a cheaper source. Not sure if it's really bona fide, though ...

https://www.goodnsave.com/thinnerline-star-xiaolan-cut-round-device-round-knife-support-1mm-small-round-accurate-526319375022

Hubert

PS : oops ! Forget the link and the $ 6.75 price tag... when trying to place an order, the price becomes $ 45.70, plus 29.94 for shipping to France :(

Edited by MostlyRacers