Navalized Ju 87

imatt88

Hey all,

Has there ever been a conversion set out there to convert a Ju 87 to the Navy version for the Graf Zeppelin?

It would be interesting to build that version

I think the wing folds would be the hardest part to get right..

Cheers, Ian

Edited by imatt88

jECmRWq.gif

With the huge success of the Junkers Ju 87 dive bomber in the early days of World War II (the Battle of Britain did not yet happened at this time), it is no big surprise that the "Stuka" was selected as the primary dive bombers to be used on German aircraft carriers.

The Junkers Ju 87C-1 was an adapted version of the Junkers Ju 87B-1 which was build between 1938 and 1940. While engine and armament were the same as in the land based version of this famous dive bomber, several enhancements had to be made to adapt it to a carrier bases aircraft.  In addition to a more massive fuselage, storable wings and an arrestor hook, the landing gear could be dropped for emergency landings in the ocean.

At least one Prototype of the Ju 87C-0 was completed and several others were under construction when the construction of the Graf Zeppelin was stopped. Those planes were later rebuild to the Ju87B standard.

When it was considered to complete the Graf Zeppelin , the C Model of the Ju 87 was already obsolete at this time. Therefore, the Ju87D was chosen as the new carrier bomber, in the role of the dive bomber and as a torpedo bomber. It was projected to make the same modifications to the original Luftwaffe design as it was previously done in case of the Ju87C, but none of those aircraft was ever completed.

3ie9xUb.jpg

Ju_87_C.jpg

2h8rT4M.png\\

Ju-87-1.jpg

On 18 August 1937, the RLM decided to introduce the Ju 87 Tr. The Ju 87 C was intended to be a dive and torpedo bomber for the Kriegsmarine. The type was ordered into prototype production and available for testing in January 1938. Testing was given just two months and was to begin in February and end in April 1938. The prototype V10 was to be a fixed wing test aircraft, while the following V11 would be modified with folding wings. The prototypes were Ju 87 B-0 airframes powered by Jumo 211 A engines. Owing to delays, the V10 was not completed until March 1938. It first flew on 17 March and was designated Ju 87 C-1. On 12 May, the V11 also flew for the first time. By 15 December 1939, 915 arrested landings on dry land had been made. It was found the arresting gear winch was too weak and had to be replaced. Tests showed the average braking distance was 20–35 metres (66–115 ft). The Ju 87 V11 was designated C-0 on 8 October 1938. It was fitted out with standard Ju 87 C-0 equipment and better wing-folding mechanisms. The "carrier Stuka" was to be built at the Weserflug Company's Lemwerder plant between April and July 1940.

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/119904-ju-87-c-premium-aircraft/

I like the idea of painting a Ju-87B in the usual splinter camp pattern of the era but instead of a green or brown a medium gray and a medium to dark blue.

But then I am a heretic, which entitles me to do things like that.

:wicked:

Talking about German carrier planes, I wonder what would have been a likely color scheme. "Normal" grey scheme (RLM 74 +75), seaplane colors (RLM 72 + 73), or something completely different :hmmm:

I like the idea of painting a Ju-87B in the usual splinter camp pattern of the era but instead of a green or brown a medium gray and a medium to dark blue.

But then I am a heretic, which entitles me to do things like that.

:wicked:

Awesome.

I plan to do Rudel's Stuka. However, I am going to change all the national insignia to gay pride colours and paint the aeroplane bright pink.

All the other markings will be Rudel's. I'll weather it and everything. I reckon it'll be funny. :D

Awesome.

I plan to do Rudel's Stuka. However, I am going to change all the national insignia to gay pride colours and paint the aeroplane bright pink.

All the other markings will be Rudel's. I'll weather it and everything. I reckon it'll be funny. :D

If I can do it I may copy a paisley print cloth, reduce it in scale, print it onto decal sheets and use that the camo scheme. Mauve color bombs and a flesh color torpedo. 

Just a little subtle something.

:whistle:

Sculptor

I fell in love with this aircraft when I first found out about it - maybe 10 years ago.  My goal is to build it in 1/18 scale, and I have NOT made a lot of progress on it so far!  Ebay has a 1/72 conversion kit, and there is also a set of Peddinhaus decals in 1/72.  I wrote to him and asked if he could enlarge the squadron symbol up to 1/18 scale (figuring that it would be the most difficult for me to find or paint).  To my happy surprise, he was willing to enlarge the whole sheet to 1/18!  (Cost a bit more than I wanted to spend, but now I have a complete set of correct markings).  I've tried to make a link to the 1/72 set, but this site won't let me; so I guess you have to look it up on your own - search Ju 87 C.  -Mike