F4U-1A Corsair RNZAF- Finished and off the bench

BloorwestSiR

Great stuff - that looks like a really interesting scheme.

I've just finished reading Carrier Pilot by Norman Hanson about largely his FFA Corsair flying off HMS Illustrious in the Pacific campaign - look at this build too makes me want to add this kit to my stash at some point.

Torben

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Can't believe your 'production' - simply amazing. The Corsair is looking spot on and your attention to detail and paint work is a joy t follow

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Great stuff - that looks like a really interesting scheme.

I've just finished reading Carrier Pilot by Norman Hanson about largely his FFA Corsair flying off HMS Illustrious in the Pacific campaign - look at this build too makes me want to add this kit to my stash at some point.

Torben

Thanks Torben!

I've got a couple more in the stash that I'll be doing in FAA markings. One will be in the Temperate scheme and the other will be in GSB marked as Hampton Gray's Corsair.

Carl

Can't believe your 'production' - simply amazing. The Corsair is looking spot on and your attention to detail and paint work is a joy t follow

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Thanks Peter! I've really gotten into this build. So much so that I haven't done anything with the F-4E recently.

So I ran into my first problem on this build. Nothing to do with the plastic thankfully.

My preference of late is to use masks for as much of the markings as possible. Usually they work great and I don't have any problems with them. Unfortunately that wasn't the case tonight. I figured it would be easier to get the fuselage roundels done before the wings got in the way so I started those. Montex make a set for the markings I wanted so I used them. They were a bit of a disappointment. After I had applied the main outer mask to the plane, and started to fill it in, I noticed that it wasn't symmetrical. Unfortunately this was after I'd put on the white. So I continued onwards. The roundel is ever so slightly oval. It took a second set to completely cover the blue so that I could paint the yellow border. Which led to some bleeding.

DSC_0044-L.jpg

Fortunately, I can touch it up but this was a first for me.

Carl

it'll be fine Carl, I doubt the "real" ones we're perfect

Thanks Shawn! I took about 20 minutes to touch up some of the roundels but couldn't do everything so left the rest as is. Meantime, I painted the outer wings and tailplanes. Here's a quick mockup.

DSC_0062-L.jpg

Now back to the landing gear.

Carl

I decided that it was easier to paint the wing roundels on while the outer wings were still separate parts. This went much better than the fuselage roundels did.

DSC_0063-L.jpg

DSC_0065-L.jpg

The gear is now assembled too. Just need to do the retraction struts in silver.

Carl

Hi Carl, I haven't been commenting much apologies for that.

One thing, why are gear bays white? Wouldn't be overall dark blue?

Here are some pics. of NZ Corsairs .

Cheers

M.

RNZAF-5Sq-Maintenance-Unit-Bougainville-

Vought-F4U-1D-Corsair-RNZAF-NZ5406-BuNo-Vought-F4U-1A-Corsair-RNZAF-as-NZ5324-BuRNZAF-5Sq-Maintenance-Unit-landing-mishaVought-F4U-1A-Corsair-RNZAF-as-NZ5372-Bu

HI Martin,

Thanks for dropping by and for the pics.

The front fuselage was originally in the three color paint scheme like the rear half and had just been repainted in GSB before becoming the donor front end. I couldn't find any pics that would've showed if they had repainted the MLG bays and legs at the same time. It seemed reasonable to me that they could have been left in white as a result. Looks like I might be wrong. Which with the gear in place now is a bit too hard to fix. Maybe on the next one...

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Awesome progress. Decals looks beautifully done. My vote, leave the paint/bays as they are ... looks good to me

Keep 'em comin

Peter