AIMS Me 262 A-1a/U3 conversion

Pastor John

Hi everyone, I can not resist any longer - I want to make something for myself so I am saying goodbye to my Me 262 A-1a/U3 in test shot configuration and want to finish it. I only have the MBI title and photos from the internet and a myriad of builds of this Trumpeter kit so think i will be ok. Only made one other 262 in my whole life and that was the 1/72 Revell kit but reading the builds on this site I can see what is ahead of me. I bought a few goodies to help me along - looking forward especially to seeing what my AIMS Rb 50/30 cameras look like with clear 5mm lenses bought from Modelling tools.co.uk. My only hesitation or 'dead-zone' so to speak is that I am tempted to model a bird with Mk 108 in the nose but I have never seen evidence for where an ejection port would be for this centrally mounted weapon (just above the nose - not in its center as per MBI title drawings)? Not to worry - will most likely end up modelling solid white '2' with the painted nose cone and no weapons

20151114_111635_zpsfg0ucrm1.jpg

Hi everyone, well just prepping really, Eduard's overly blue rendition of RLM 66 toned down with hand painted Xtracolor enamel - most likely looks terrible under a microscope. I knew about the sink marks from other builds long before I opened the box - I tend to light dry sand over the area with P600 both to highlight the issue and key it for micro filler. the filler in question is from the automotive industry - just go to any car paint supplier that stocks Lechler products and ask for a tube of Spat-o-rapid. It goes on easy - sands in half an hour with P600 and lots of water. One tube will last you ages unless you are an armour modeler also and notice that it is great for mud on the tank tracks and wheels.

20151114_131530_zps50u4nv3l.jpg

O and i got the wrong size lenses - 5mm is too small so have ordered some 6mm. Also they do not really look right - obviously i would sink then into the lense body - not just stick them on top like in photo but the lense really needs a dark backing. no problem as you can peel off the silver backing and paint gloss black

20151114_131823_zpsa6bp2lbp.jpg

Hi everyone - I want to by some 1/32 ribbed flexible airhoze - I know I have seen it available but cannot for the life of me find it again - can anyone help?

Best wishes

John

PS. Does anyone know if the aluminium inside the Me 262 wheel well / outside of cockpit tub is natural or painted aluminium? Does this extend to the gear bay area in the wings or just inside fuselage? I would have thought it was natural metal given the war-time situation but thought I would ask those of you who make these birds on a regular basis. I assume this aluminium look is throughout the fuselage as want the fuselage hatch left open/

Hi everyone - I want to by some 1/32 ribbed flexible airhoze - I know I have seen it available but cannot for the life of me find it again - can anyone help?

Best wishes

John

Hi,

Cutting Edge used to sell this many years ago and I think MDC also sold it. Personally, I use guitar string as I prefer its rigidity. A small diameter copper wire rolled on a thicker one is another option.

Hth

Thierry

I got some flexible resin air hose from MDC last year. Not sure of a source since they ceased dealing with retail customers but it looks like good stuff. Alternatively there is always making your own with solder wound with thin wire.

Looks like you had the same dreaded sink marks in the wings as I did. I also had sink marks in the the engine nacelles. Not the easiest model to put together, but does at least look like a 262! Good luck with your build.

Cheers

Adam

Thanks Adam.......well it has been a weird few days, yesterday an order from Hannants arrived containing a Revell 1/32 F-8 and a Profimodeller Ju 88 Bomb Bay. Well in the Revell kit I saw something I did not want to see - an extra part for faired in upper gun troughs (indicating future Mistel kit no doubt - bad for me). In the Bomb bay kit I also saw something I did not want to see - 2x forward wingspar bulkheads - instead of 1x front and 1x back. And today I discover that not only did my Trumpeter 262 kit not contain any instructions - which I knew about at the beginning but today during building I discover it also lacks the whole of frame 'M.' And so I am grounded!

Does anyone know who I contact for replacement Trumpeter parts?

Best wishes from a frazzled ex-pastor