HK B-17...C 11/2 progress resumes!

brahman104

Thanks very much for the comments and encouragement!

Another couple of days here and there and the rest of the "glass" is in.... Next I'll be doing the framing over the top and I still have to polish the sections but it's looking a lot more complete now :)

fJBLdzB.jpg

U7xJNdO.jpg

u3bFOoq.jpg

Still need to add the little ball socket things for the guns, but I'll have to go searching for some small plastic beads or something..... I might have to pay a visit to the craft store later.

Cheers,

Craig

Superb work, that nose cone looks amazing, glazing looks amazing!

Regards. Andy

Thanks Andy. It has definitely been a learning curve, but I think for the most part I've got a handle on it now. As long as you're prepared for a lot of failures, it's all good!

Oh my goodness Craig! You're nuts! My kind of nuts but nuts nonetheless.............

I would never have thought of doin' that.

Cheers,

Wolf

Hahaha, I feel I'm getting crazier by the day Wolf! :)

That's hardcore! 

Cheers mate!

Bloody amazing work Craig ... hats off.

Jim

Thanks Jim! I could still never match the finish you've got on your hornet though :)

Craig, for heat activated material look in any good radio control model shop, having done RC for a while there are plenty of options, textures etc.

Thanks mate. Good model shops are unfortunately pretty hard to come by in my part of the world, but I think I've tamed the acrylic sufficiently for my purposes at the moment :)

Love it!  Some truly inspirational modeling going on here.     Looking forward to more! 

Thanks Brian! I see you've been fighting a few battles of your own on the Cat..... keep up the good work mate, she's looking great!

wow, thats one for the books right there

Cheers Shawn. Yep, another trick to add to the resume :)

Well I hope everyone had a good Christmas...... although I doubt there was much time for modelling ;)

Between building a new fence and renovating a bathroom, I've squeezed in a little more on the nose. In fact, it's mostly done externally now, I'll have to do some tidying up of the internal paintwork and see if there's any little defrosting ducts I'm supposed to add, but for now I'm calling this part complete.

I spent a while trying to find out the dimensions of the ball sockets where the .30 cals mounted in the nose cone. In the end it worked out that the diameter of the ball was more or less exactly what HK had...... Yes! I'm using another kit part!!!!! :)

After all the work of getting the glazing done, I was terrified about drilling holes into it, especially as I had to ream them out to 3mm. Working very slowly, I stepped up in sizes by 0.1mm to give me the best chance of avoiding any cracking..... so far so good..

PoFg48N.jpg

I also had to punch some "washers" out of litho to surround the ball sockets. Eventually, if I do this right, these might even hold the sockets in place....

RscISPa.jpg

It was then a case of slowly adding the framework to the exterior in litho.... Yes, it took me about 8 hours to do :)

LuhJ5VF.jpg

Altogether, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out...... not the greatest attempt at a hinge for the little kick door, but passable in this scale...

EthXwXu.jpg

ukyIBqp.jpg

8nvoY6X.jpg

Nushzrh.jpg

And lastly with the kit barrel sitting in there for fun. Eventually, I'll get rid of the barrel and drill out the centre..... once I figure out how to do it.

Ocakafk.jpg

After my recent experiences with vac forming, I'm now tempted to go back and make a master of the complete bath tub to vac form, rather than using the printed parts..... at least I'll know the glass will fit too!

Craig