PBY-5A Catalina (Cutaway)

kkarlsen

Kent this is nothing short of Inspirational. I have the big cat and I was really trying to work out how not to loose all that lovely interior detail. Your work is a perfect solution.  although very nice, I didnt want the full cutaway version as the full aircraft is sooooo impressive. I am sure I will be copying your working methods at some stage, if you dont object of course. 

Keep up the good work its superb! 

Working on the bunks...

I decided to paint the HPH/HGW bunks in another tone than the green, I'm afraid everything will just become a 'green in green' interior...

And when I was at it decided to do some bed linen from paper tissue and white glue.

7698-231017135211-12365799.jpeg

7698-231017135212-12367114.jpeg

7698-231017135211-1236652.jpeg

Some old magazines LIFE etc... was printed to add a little life to the bunks.

And finally a copy of Osprey Combat Aircraft 65 arrived...

7698-231017140416-12369657.jpeg

In this book the PBY operations in Greenland during WWII is described by Icelandic Author Ragnar J Ragnarsson.

Edited by kkarlsen

Those bunks are totally cool! What a great idea painting them a slightly different shade of green. How did you print those magazine so small?

Bryan

http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/ver0012.htm

Above link is some samples. There's manufacturers do Playboy Esquire life and you can even find World War 1 stuff. You have to check under 1/35th scale.

Vandy

Those bunks are totally cool!  What a great idea painting them a slightly different shade of green.  How did you print those magazine so small?

Bryan

Thanks Bryan, googled magazines 1943 ;) they are printed on my inkjet printer, I'm also surprised of the details...

7698-231017201253-12370834.jpeg

Regards: Kent

Edited by kkarlsen

Kent, Amazing work and love the details.  I SWEAR those pillows look like the real (and soft) thing. WOW.  As do the blankets and linens - fantastic work.  I missed it, did you happen to post the details on how you did the linens and pillows?  Those are works of art just themselves.

Chris

Kent, Amazing work and love the details.  I SWEAR those pillows look like the real (and soft) thing. WOW.  As do the blankets and linens - fantastic work.  I missed it, did you happen to post the details on how you did the linens and pillows?  Those are works of art just themselves.

Chris

Sorry Chris I got carried away and simply forgot to document the steps :-(

I just used some folded up pieces of paper tissue and soaked them with a paintbrush using diluted white glue...

7698-241017081125-123741460.jpeg

The result when placed in the bunk compartment...