Matchbox Spitfire 22/24

LSP_Kevin

Ah, I'd totally forgotten about that Derek! :doh: I've just gone and bought the Master Model ones. I'll definitely do better at keeping yours in mind the next time I need some. Thanks for confirming their appropriateness though.

Kev

OK, thanks Kev...I'm still waiting for my 'first customer' for these sets (I had actually made mine quite a while before Master Models came out with their brass items - I just couldn't get my website up and running in time before they got theirs out!). I have sent a set to Aeroscale for review - I'm hoping that they can actually get them onto a Spitfire model, then you can see how they actually work :).

I also have the Matchbox kit like you Kev for some F.21/22/24 AM wings to convert the PCM Mk.XIV/Hasegawa and Matchbox/Revell kits in due course (my original master pattern wings warped when I had them filled with resin, so I have decided to abandon them and start again).

Derek.

Edited by Derek B

HMMM, it says MK.22 from the 607th.....Harv

...Could be...A lot of F.22s had the larger 'Spiteful' type fin and rudder (as did all F.24s)...I'd have to check the airframe serial number, so we'll go with F.22 for now...:)

Cheers

Derek

Edit: Checked it out, and this one is definately an F.22 :)

Derek

Edited by Derek B

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't really been near this kit since starting this thread, and I really need to clear one of the Fw 190s off my bench before I can do very much. This post is really just to note that today would have been Russ's 55th birthday.

Too young.

Kev

I have one of these in the stash, as well as a resin conversion set from Jen over at Britmodeller to build a Seafire 46/47.

Cool! Jen's a member here, so I don't know why she doesn't sing out about it on here.

Kev

• 2 months later...

Saw the note as regards the Mk 22/24 Spitfire.... of Matchbox. Have completed one in the past 6 months after having held the kit for 30+ years. The decals even worked. I am new to the forum so am not certain whether I can down load photos of the completed kit but it is on show at ARC on 18th March. Several comments. I was fortunate in that I had ready access to the Mk 22 at Bull Creek museum in Perth Western Australia which assisted in both cockpit and undercarriage detail. The big prrobleem is tthe undercarriage. I cheated and replaced the oleos with Scale Aircraft Conversion for the Mk 9. However there is a need to actually reverse the oleos so that the torque links are at their rear. Apparently the 22/24 had such reversal. I also have photos of the cockpit from Perth which greatly assisted in modifying same to a more reasonable matter inclusive of making a scratch built gun sight. If I can down load photos I will if requested as despite online research I have not found details of the actual undercarriage arrangement. If desperate use the Airfix 1/48th scale one to help guide you. Its not too bad and provided some answers as to how to attach the outboard undercarriage doors.

If I can be of help contact me on jaslevo@nsw.chariot.net.au

James Levingston

Saw the note as regards the Mk 22/24 Spitfire.... of Matchbox. Have completed one in the past 6 months after having held the kit for 30+ years. The decals even worked. I am new to the forum so am not certain whether I can down load photos of the completed kit but it is on show at ARC on 18th March. Several comments. I was fortunate in that I had ready access to the Mk 22 at Bull Creek museum in Perth Western Australia which assisted in both cockpit and undercarriage detail. The big prrobleem is tthe undercarriage. I cheated and replaced the oleos with Scale Aircraft Conversion for the Mk 9. However there is a need to actually reverse the oleos so that the torque links are at their rear. Apparently the 22/24 had such reversal. I also have photos of the cockpit from Perth which greatly assisted in modifying same to a more reasonable matter inclusive of making a scratch built gun sight. If I can down load photos I will if requested as despite online research I have not found details of the actual undercarriage arrangement. If desperate use the Airfix 1/48th scale one to help guide you. Its not too bad and provided some answers as to how to attach the outboard undercarriage doors.

If I can be of help contact me on jaslevo@nsw.chariot.net.au

James Levingston

Thanks for chiming in James, and welcome to the forums!

:post1:

Check out the tutorial on linking photos to LSP in General Discussion for help in that regard. It's essentially the same process required to post photos on both the ARC and Britmodeller forums (and a few others besides). I'd certainly be interested in seeing a few! If you're willing, and think the photos might be of interest to a larger audience, you can send them to me via email and I'll endeavour to post them on the main LSP website as a Walkaround (bearing mind that, for technical reasons, this may take some time).

Thanks for reminding me that I really must make a start on this build too. I've got the Airfix kit, and intend to build it concurrently. Good idea on using it as a template for some of the detail parts. I just need to finish my D-11 build first.

Kev

Hi Kev,

Thanks for your comments. If you can send me an email I send back to you some photos on the Mk 22 as well as the model whcih I made.

James

Thanks James - I shall do so when I get the chance!

Kev

• 4 weeks later...

OK, after 6 months and a couple of pages of chit-chat, I've finally started this thing! No photos at this stage, as I'm just assembling the engine, drilling out the exhaust stacks and generally getting a feel for what needs to be done. I was hoping for a reasonably speedy build, but it's clear to me now that this kit will require quite a bit of work, especially in the cockpit. Looks like I'll need to brush up on my references!

One thing that struck me though, is that the vac canopy from Grey Matter looks noticeably smaller than the kit's canopy. Is that to correct an over-sized kit part? My main concern about it is that, at first glance, there's no way you could pose it closed, as the vac sliding portion would virtually slide inside the kit windscreen.

James, I saw your build on ARC - very nicely done!

Kev

Photos!

I fitted the gun bay covers, and added the internal framework on the assumption that it would add some internal strength to the otherwise quite flimsy parts. They do interfere slightly with the fit to the bottom wing, but nothing serious.

bbieda.jpg

The fully assembled engine:

aCB0z7.jpg

I'm not planning to expose it, so it'll just be there for its structural requirements.

Here's a couple of photos that attempt to illustrate the size difference between the kit and vac sliding canopies:

5DK6QD.jpg

nPaMFL.jpg

Quite hard to capture the outlines with clear parts! They appear to be similar in height, but the vac part is far narrower in cross-section, and would not mate up the windscreen at all (it would probably slide inside it in fact). Is there any obvious reason for such a discrepancy? Is the kit part too wide by that much?

Kev

Dad and I have both built this kit and you will need metal landing gear legs or at very least, reenforcement of the kit parts, the tail wheel included, otherwise it will collapse under it's own weight in 12 months.

If you want to do a Syrian one, I have a picture.

Thanks for the heads-up on the landing gear Brad. I've already had this happen to my Hasegawa Emil from a few years ago. I'll see what I can come up with. I may end up drilling and pinning them. Are there even any metal landing gear available?

Kev

SAC do a set of metal gear for the PCM Mk 9/16...having a look at pictures and the gear, they look pretty much the same and you'd get away with it in scale. I always apply the rule; will anyone walk up to me and say, ha - they are not MkXXX items, they are MkXXX ones. If no, then I go for it.

http://www.justplanes.com.au/htdocs/images/Scale%20Air%20Conversions/32038.jpg

Master Models do some nice turned 20mm cannons for this kit too.