Heinkel He -111.

TimHepplestone

Closed up the fuselage today. Fit was overall not bad. Seams will need a bit of work but nothing too demanding. I've seen some brilliant work on super detailing interiors in these forums. Afraid I didn't really bother (hence no photos). Just a basic paint job with a few photoetch details, none of wich is really visible anyway.

de7Nj6El.jpg

What is apparent is this is going to be a big plane though. Next to a 1/48 Hurricane for comparison. By the time this is finished I'm going to need a bigger photo table

tdf0wg6l.jpg

Quick update. Painted op the SC 250 bombs and the bomb bay. Did a little bit of light weathering on the bombs. Base coated the body of the bombs dark green. Then took some very diluted sand coloured paint, and with the airbrush dialed down too such a low preasure that the paint just kind of splattered out, used that to create a sublte worn/mottled apprearence. After masking that if painted the fins black green to add a bit of contrast. Finally a dark brown wash for a bit of depth. 

The bomb bays are from the HE-111 P sprues rather than the external torpedoes or bomb rack that is appropriate to the H6 version. I felt the internal bomb bay was more relevant to the H2 or H3 version I'm trying to end up with though.

zCAQqDml.jpgVo9xheZl.jpgqOh1zAsl.jpg

Nice work on the bombs.  I'm coming to that part of my Mossie build and will definitely try out your technique for a heavily worn/weathered appearance on the bombs.

Cheer mate. If I'm honest though I can't take credit for the idea. I first came across it on Chris Wauchop's website, coincidentally on his his build of your Tamiya Mossie.

If I may propose a change in colour of the bombardier/navigator rack from brown to black. Those are not wooden planks :), it is a black cushion , please check the picture below.

DSC02229.JPG

Thanks Martin. Good point. I've seen some period photos where it seems to vary from a dark brown to almost canvas like colour. But it is definitely a pad and not a wooden door . There's also a simile pad in the ventral gondola. I think I might change it to a weathered light leather colour but I want to find some more period photos of it if I can before I decide. Gonna miss that wood though

When ignorance is bliss....

If I may propose a change in colour of the bombardier/navigator rack from brown to black. Those are not wooden planks :), it is a black cushion , please check the picture below.

DSC02229.JPG

After trawling the internet found this

BVjiJVdl.jpg

Looks like a faded brown for the bomb aimer/nose gunners padding. So youre quite right, wooden is totally inappropriate. The part been removed and is sitting in a bath of isopropyl alchohol to strip it for repainting. Thanks for pointing that out. Lesson here is always check your references!!

Small update tonight. As was rightly pointed out to me I had the bomb aimer/ nose gunners position down as wooden. Its not :oops: . Having trawled the internet for period photos it seems it was a brown (in some photos a khaki green) padded mattress like structure. Similarly the gondola also featured some padding although I'm nost sure how much comfort this brought to the crewman. The problem is the kit part looks like this..IdO7UOHl.jpg

..a piece of wood. No matter how I try  to paint it it still looks 2 dimentional and wooden. So I got oul the milliput, rolled it into a thin sheet and using cocktail sticks attempted to sculpt it into a more 3d padded surface. Then  I lighly pressed on it with some fine gauze to try and give it some texture. This was followed by a base coat of Tamiya hull red followed by dry brushng with progressively light shades of brown. Finaly a dark brown enamel was to give it some depth. The end result looks like this

ctFeRb9l.jpg

I think I might dp spme more lighter drybrushing in the morning, depending on what it looks like after its dried

While I was at it I added a bit of detail to the cockpit. Some airscale placards and some extra wiring to the control column and rudder pedals.

JoaH2Pgl.jpg

2kQkWnsl.jpg

Actually looking at the pics I need to tidy up the wire on the control column a little. I'm sure the Germans arranged their wiring a lot neater than that...