Photobucket trying it on............ again!

PhilB

Yes, I know, I know, not another photobucket saga!

But, this is info for those that have a Plus 20 account that is still valid.

Before all the problems kicked off recently,  back in October last year I renewed my Plus 20 for another two years expiring October 2018.

Seeing all the aggravation I was comforted a bit by the fact I was ok for third party hosting until it expired as existing accounts would be honoured.

Really?

Had an e-mail from them a few days ago saying the Plus 20 had "finished in 2015" and mine had been "backed onto" or some expression another account.

They went on to say unless I paid for one of the "new" accounts my account would revert to a free one in 30 days and of course no third party hosting.

:hmmm:

Not being one to take this sort of attempted extorsion I mailed them back asking if the plus 20 had finished in 2015 how come I was able to renew it in October 2016?

Also as I had paid for a two year subscription,  then as they wanted to revert me to a "free" account nearly one year early then I would get a refund for the remaining period ?

:fight:

A few days later I had an email in reply which said amongst other things :

"Thank you for reaching out to us about this. In regards to the email you received, we have decided to make an exception for your account. You will be able to stay on your current Plus 20 subscription and will not need to upgrade your account at this time. Your subscription will expire on October 14, 2018."

Not an exception.

They were trying it on.

So any of you who have a current Plus 20 bear this in mind if they try it on.

In this country it would be classed as attempted fraud.

Edited by PhilB

Wow, Phil that is a bit weak of them needing to get "caught" before they upped what you were owed!

I'm in Kevs boat, and will hopefully have what I need replaced before mine expires.

I downloaded all my albums and pictures off there when the stuff hit the fan so they won't be getting a renewal.

Interestingly the second para of their e-mail to me hinted at some sort of extension to 3rd party hosting ?

"As stated in our current Terms of Use, you will continue to have 3rd Party Hosting capabilities until the end of December 2018 or when your next renewal ends in 2019, whichever comes last."

Probably just total nonsense.

:deadhorse:

Edited by PhilB

While I was a loyal customer of PB for several years, when they started playing games, I just switched over to a paid image shack account, and have had no problems since.

That's exactly what I did. Imageshack works nicely as well. It took a me a few minutes how to delete and move things, but better than PB. My FB account is due to expire sometime next year...buh bye.

• 2 months later...

Hmm, the saga continues.

:rofl:

It looks like things are beginning to "bite" at PB with people deleting their accounts.

Had an email last night saying they had introduced a new "Premium" account.

I quote :

"We would like to offer a tailored plan for users just like you - our Premium plan for $99.99 / year.The Premium plan will provide 3rd party hosting for non-commercial use on your forums, blogs, and personal websites*. Additionally, you will be able to store up to 300,000 photos.We are working on some exciting changes for 2018. This is our exclusive introductory price and this offer will expire in 7 days."

So we are now down to $99 per year for third party hosting eh?

I wonder how much this will continue to fall as reality dawns on them? I'm paid up until October when I will be taking my images elsewhere.

:D

Edited by PhilB

It made me laugh when I got an email from them this week, something like 'We have an offer for people exactly like you'. What, people who have deleted all their content and would have deleted their account if they could work out how to?

I have unsubscribed from their emails

Richard

ALL of the above. Im with K1 here. Even if they did this up front, forcing someones hand who has, and already (did) continue (ed) to pay them is equivalent to extortion in my book. 

But, considering they not only tried and DID extort people who were already paying, they tried it with a hi-jacked price about 4 times what that same person was paying. 

I defended PB right and left, right up until they pulled their little stunt.   

Then to add insult to injury, they put up their little hi-jack signs to remind everyone that they were not only hi-jacking everyone's pics, but essentially ruining some peoples business, along with ruining a big part of the internet as far as web forums, blogs and discussion sites go.

Never, EVER again.  

Guest The Southern Bandit

Deplorable company, there must be hundreds of thousands if not millions of ruined threads all over the internet from different walks of life and forums that are now ruined because of the way they went about things, they could have just as easily made their changes "from" the date they decided to change things and with good will left past practise, as they knew what was happening all along... "as is" ... but no, they got greedy and thought everyone would rush to pay silly money to restore their pictures .. its all quite sad :(  Its not as if their service was that good to start with, it was always flakey IMHO.

Oh well, we have what we have, the loss of Photobucket is their loss and they have bought this mess upon themselves, its made me look around and see there were always much better alternatives in the first place, its also reminded me not to keep all my eggs in one basket ... if they go down I do feel sorry for any employee's whose fault is none, its the greedy CEO who made this ill thought out decision who is to blame, but no doubt he will be set for life even after this monumental goof and now seemingly climbing down.

I know there is a sort of workaround to show old photo-bucket pics, but it does not always work.

Still cant believe anyone made this decision and thought it would benefit the company in the long term?  Beyond crazy and malicious and greedy ... *shrugs*

"We would like to offer a tailored plan for users just like you - our Premium plan for $99.99 / year.The Premium plan will provide 3rd party hosting for non-commercial use on your forums, blogs, and personal websites*. Additionally, you will be able to store up to 300,000 photos.We are working on some exciting changes for 2018. This is our exclusive introductory price and this offer will expire in 7 days."

Right here is the catch.  I downloaded everything I had I wanted to save, and uploaded to Imgur.  Then I find out Imgur has the same clause and I cannot use it on websites flagged by them because they have a classified forum as we have here.

I  don't mind paying a fee, but I want to try a site out first and see how user friendly it is.  Imgur burned me on this since it is not the easiest to navigate.  Using my phones app, I cannot figure out how to get to my images.

While I was a loyal customer of PB for several years, when they started playing games, I just switched over to a paid image shack account, and have had no problems since.

Kevin,

I just sent a message to Imageshack about their Basic plan.  I'll ask you too to see if you know.  Can you use it for posting images on forum classified sections?  Imgur blocked The Garage Journal from any postings because of this.