Large Scale Tank

JohnW

A 1/16 scale Tamiya M4 Sherman kit with the 105mm howitzer.  In U. S. military jargon it a medium tank M4 (105) HVSS.  This was a Christmas present from back in the 70's.  The original peak of my model building hobby.  Radio controls were never fitted, so it spent most of its time as a static display.  Seeing some pictures of Shermans with the longer 76mm gun, a new barrel was carved from a wooden dowel.  Modelling accessories were unkown to me back then.  A crew figure was also carved from wood.  One of the model boxes in my collection had a picture of a Korean war Sherman with the fierce tiger face.  That was the paint scheme used.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_027.jpg

Jumping forward to 2003, my father had just passed away.  He had a collection of boxes stored in his house.  One box contained the Sherman tank.  No worse for wear.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_001a.jpg

A few years ago, while browsing the internet, M4A3E8 upgrade parts were found.  A new T23 turret and gun were obtained.

Back in June a summer project seemed like a good idea.  It gets pretty hot here in Texas, so an indoor activity is not a bad idea.  Based on all of the parts available on eBay, the decision was made to work on the old Sherman.  The newer kits have many more features like turret rotation, gun elevation, and gun recoil.  That seemed like a good challenge.  There are even more M4A3 parts available now.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_004a.jpg

The project began by collecting parts and materials.  My first thought was to use the original gear train.  The looks of that old system has some appeal to me.  It original cam with 2 gearing options.  The two motors could drive one gear and a clutch system to handle turning.  Probably not that different from how the real Sherman's are steered.  The second option used two different gears to separate the motors for left and right operation.  One of these optional gears was found in my electrical part box.  It was surprising to me that this gear could still be found after over 35 years; unfortunately, the second gear has not been found.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_011b.jpg

An unsuccessful attempt was made to find the gear.  In the end, the decision was made to go with a new set of gear trains.  Some of the track end links are also missing.  Another set of tracks was found on eBay.  The track links are metal on the exterior.  That will work well on carpet or outdoors.  Some tracks with rubber pads would be ideal for hard surfaces in the house.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_015.jpg

07/29/2017 - Post Photobucket updates to linked images.

Edited by JohnW

Awesome Project John, Oddly Enough, I just inherited a 1974 edition of the E8 last week and was lucky enough to get Nick Agular's T-23 Turret and new transmission cover as well. I havent decided what to do with mine yet, its still got all its original"guts" so RC may be in the distant future for it as well.

I'll be following with interest.

Paul 

I have the Tamiya figure parts and a resin head.  The SOL figures look really good, but the price is a bit much for me.  Taking inspiration from Jerry, some experimentation with resin molding is being considered.  We'll see where that leads.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_028a.jpg

Edited by JohnW

Some work on the turret.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_005a.jpg

A Pershing recoil unit is fitted.  The bracket is from the M51 Sherman kit.  A piece of 3/8 inch tubing is used as a liner for the barrel.  It is an almost perfect fit.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_031a.jpg

A 0.30 cal. machine gun barrel is modified for the coaxial gun.  The back end of the barrel is used.  I like the way it looks.  The LED is very bright at 5 VDC.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_030.jpg

The front of the turret needed some cutting to allow the recoil system to fit.

Edited by JohnW

Looking Great John!  I cant wait till I get my F/O Panther here soon. Then your Sherman will have something to shoot at.. :)

I finally found a source that has STOCK of the Impact parts for the Sherman and Panther upgrades.. check out the tracks and sprocket set for the Sherman.. all metal detailed like resin.

http://mitosal.com/811.htm

Paul

Thank you Paul.  The Panther is a nice looking tank.  It should be a nice RC tank.

The website is interesting.  That one is new to me.  The tracks with rubber pads might be good for running on hard surfaces in the house.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_026.jpg

The turret drive motor mounts and guide wheels were added to the older hull.  Aluminum tubing threaded for M3 screws and inserted into various sizes of plastic tubing made the mounts.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_029a.jpg

Tried using thread to cut out the hull hatches.  It works well.  Some threads work better than others.

Edited by JohnW

This is the conversion set purchased from Nick Aguilar.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_004a.jpg

The originally purchased turret.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_006a.jpg

The hull pieces obtained recently.  Some additional Tamiya parts from the American Armoured Foundation, Inc. (AAF) Tank Museum.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_010.jpg

Prices for original Tamiya parts is very good!

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_019.jpg

The latest gearboxes used by Tamiya for the newer editions of the M4 Sherman kits.

Edited by JohnW

More periscope work.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_035a.jpg

Periscope guards from Shapeways.  An internet service for 3D design and printing.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_007b.jpg

Six periscope guards and a 0.30 caliber Browning M1919 machine gun.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_037a.jpg

M6 periscopes and holders in the hatches.  A small vertical end mill, compound table and rotary table would be nice to have.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_043.jpg

Edited by JohnW

• 1 month later...

The front hull hatches are cut out.  Some details have been added.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_038a.jpg

The thread method was used to cut the plastic around the hatches.  It works very well.  Finding the best, most durable thread was the most challenging part.  The 105mm gun travel lock mounts have also been removed.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_039.jpg

More work has been done on the hatches and M6 periscopes.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_040a.jpg

Since the gun elevation is limited by the standard M4 turret rotation components.  Modifications are being tried to find what works best.  The top of the turret ring gear is covered with plastic sheet.  Material is removed where it interferes with the gun recoil unit.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_042a.jpg

The rear engine deck has been removed.  Some supports for the new resin parts needs to be made.

Tamiya_56005_M4_Sherman_041a.jpg

Edited by JohnW