Hans beat me to it... He-219A-7 Combat Models

Well, after seeing that I was missing a fuselage half in the Ta-152 box (I dont remember where I put it!) I decided to go and dig out the He-219. It's crude, rude, and just the thing to get me out of a 202 funk!!!!! This is going to be a long term build- Not sure I will finish it in time for the deadline, but I want to participate anyway. I am thinking of a NJG 1 machine, or possibly one of the few that were based with NJG 10 out of Norway- There are no known photos of these 219's, but there are photos of other aircraft from the day units which give ideas of unit markings, etc. It was also confirmed by a few mechanics of NJG 1 that six airframes were built in the field from spares- Now that is dedication! I think it is a testament to the crews' love of this machine! The great thing about these airframes, is there are no official records, and no assigned Werk numbers either. No photos exist, and that leaves the modeler with a bit more leeway in the realm of field markings......But I am a long way from paint, so I have some time to decide. I will post photos of the kit, its included resin parts, and some of the refs I have for this beast. I understand that Jerry Rutman once made a set for this aircraft, but I will be using the Tamiya 48th kit, as well as the Aires detail set for a guide. Should save me a bit of time......Look for pictures shortly!!!!!!

And Dave- Would you be so kind as to deleting my Ta-152 post? Since I am not going to do that one now- I do not need the post- Sorry, I should have looked in the box before I opened my mouth!!!!!!

See ya guys-

THOR :D

First shot....Landing gear- Resin main wheels are not even close- Landing gear struts are not good either- Nose wheel looks like a repop of a Fw-190 Main- Most of this stuff is fictional.......We shall se what we can do with it......

post-719-1203098579.jpg

Next shot- Cockpit parts- The seats are repops of Fw-190 seats, the sidewall and console parts are decently detailed, but I will not be using them. The stick looks ok, and the radio/radar gear, although decently detailed, looks to be about a third of what really in the back seat!!!!! Most of this I will not use!!!!

post-719-1203098699.jpg

Next- a shot of the typical wings. Their shape looks to be a bit off- Might have to fix that. The vac prop spinners are cruched in my example, and the wheels will not be used. I will remove the controls surfaces and flaps, and rebuild and position them.

post-719-1203099067.jpg

Quite a project- The first step is to remove all of the parts I am going to use and get them sanded down. Once that is complete I will move to the creation of interior reinforcement bulkheads and a wing spar design. Once that is done I can then turn my attention to detailing the interior. I will need to make the cockpit tub, and the wheels wells first. I will decide from there how much more to add to this Uhu.....Thanks for looking. Will post more when there is more to look at!!!!!

THOR ;)

Hi Thor,

Good to see I am not alone ;) .

Photos of the Norway based Heinkels seem to exist, but I have never seen one in the flesh. If you are interested, There is a build on Hyperscale of an A-7 of Njgr. 10 in dark green camouflage with hints and tips on modifications to be made to the Tamiya kit (it actually represents an A-2 version, not an A-7) for a correct A-7.

As you said the vac is rather crude; the fuselage is too high and the wings are wide chordwise, but as far as I can see nothing that can't be corrected by cutting and gluing. The engine compartment has too big a radius and must be corrected as well. I Have yet to check the airfoil profile of the wings though.

I will use the drawings that come with The tamiya kit, along with the kit itself, enlarged to 1:32 scale. I compared these with a set of drawings from Owen Thetford "aircraft of the fighting powers vol. 7 and they an almost perfect match.

Hans

Hi Hans-

Yeah I noticed the chord of the wing being off- As far as correcting the airfoil shape, I will concentrate on getting the correct thickness, but will not go much furhter than that. I am currently working out dimensions of what the major measurements should be. I have noticed a few odd features about the Tamiya kit- It is close to a -7, but not quite there- But the kit scales out beautifully, and Tamiya did their homework!

As far the fuselage profile being to high- My kit scales out well in that department- But, It seems to be a bit short in length from the emmpenage back. Gonna have to verify this, though. My intitial calculations are about 8 mm short. I also noticed the vertical tails are gonna need to be reworked a bit! This is gonna be fun!!!!!!!

Looking forward to see what you do with yours!!!!!

Thanks for stopping by.

THOR ;)

Well- The plot thickens....and thanks RAY!!!!!

It seems that there are no known photos to exist of the NJG 10 airframes. The article Hans referenced on Hyperscale shows photos that the author claims to be of a wrecked machine from Norway- However, I have those same photos in various books, and it is more likely that the machine was one of NJG 1's trainer aircraft....The scheme is still interesting, as it has a mottle of late-war greens on her.......But the unit markings are tough to decipher- Also- Some books show a mixture of photos claiming they are the same airframe. The search continues-

I have rough cut the parts off the carrier sheets, and will start the initial sanding of all mating surfaces to get a clean fit. This step seems that it is gonna take some serious time......But I'll get there. Still debating how much I am gonna add to this model. Cockpit and wheels wells for sure, but, from there I do not know. Will post more pics when I can. Thanks-

THOR ;)

Thor,

Have some intel for u and as to the plans as well.First of all.The plans are right,but the parts are some what bigger as to alignment and etc. when u start adding parts here and there.I would say to u and this could be of some help as to make the plans fit to the parts.This has happened to me as to the two 219's i have built and it just messes with the whole build as to getting things to align when say,gluing the wings and watch out for that gullwing that's inverted on the owl.I really messed up my first and had to redo it as to the wings being right as to the plans.

The Robert's Detail is wrong as to the tries and some other stuff u posted in the pic's.Smooth tires for the mains and the nose wheel is a mag type that one could use a model car type.Worked for me.Long time model car builder.The wheels as well can be a model car type as well.But finding them can be a problem and as to coming close is some what a plain type wheel.

One can use a thin sheet to mate the wing halves as well.Same for the tailplane as well and the twin rudders too.I also used the tamiya 48th sheets as a guide for doing mine and it willl help u out in the long run and to detailing and etc.But as u said,it will be along process for u'er first vac and u'll go nuts at times when things and parts fight back and they will fight back.

The following is something as a rule of thumb for finding parts from the parts box and some u might not have.But if u need some help just yell and i'll help as much as i can.

1.Antennas one can use from the revell 110 kit.But one can make his own as to the styles the 219 used as to the Fug202 type.Wire comes to mind and some soldering will be need there.I would use the 110 for sizing up if u go this route.

2.PE set from any german detail set will work here as well.

3.Prop blades should be used from the old hase 190 kit or if the ones u got from jeff roberts have the same degree of pitch will do.

4.The radio gear that is that set is not the deal for the 219.I would redo them or reset the ones with some other type of facing as to dials and etc.

5.Wheel wells should follow the revell 110 style as to fit and spacing.

6.Watch the opening in the cowl.U can get it out of round.I would use a engineers circle templates here to help with the alignment here.

Other than that,that's all i can think of.But one thing too.Make sure u do not make the flight deck to hight and use the planes for that.It does make the difference.But if u need any help.Just let me know.OH!And Welcome to the art of Vac Building.I know u'll do the kit justice.Larry

Thanks Larry- Here are some of the things I have noticed on the plans that came with the kit. First- I noticed that they seem a bit off. I have some great plans in a few various publications that I will enlarge, then use instead. Also- as far as the interior bits, I can scratchbuild anything I need- but, I think the wings are gonna be the real pain of this kit. Since they are formed into upper and lower halves, not only do I have maintain the thickness of the i/b half, but I also have to make sure I sand them down in the right areas, especially the cowls.. The demarcation lines are a bit blurry on my samples.

I think all will turn out well. By the way, did you use the kit's plans templates for the interior bulkheads? I was curious if the shapes were right, and whether they fit as drawn without too much trouble......

Right now I am worried about getting the vac parts fit, finish and proportions right. The rest will be fairly standard for me.

Thanks for the intel....

THOR :unsure: