Messerschmitt 263/Junkers 248

Thanks for the encouraging words.

James - this is the old ID Models vacform - kindly given to me by Iain over at 32nd SIG. All I shall be using from the kit is the fuselage halves. Wings and possibly tail will come from a donor Me 163 kit.

All else has to be scratched. Does look like it used Me 262 mainwheels and tires.

One prototype was completed and flown (allegedly not under rocket power). Parts of others found in closing weeks of war. This will be the V-1.

Matt

Hi all

Camera batteries charging so just some words and a side view.

So far fuselage halves removed from sheet. Arthur Bentley's excellent plans have been scaled to 1/32 using some measurements found on a factory drawing. Fuselage slightly too long so 4mm section cut out in front of wing. Made up a couple of bulkheads and starting work on the Hasegawa 163 wings (163 wings used as on the real aircraft).

Mainwheels appear to be Me 262 size and it makes sense that already in production parts would be fully utilised. Nose wheel/tire are same diameter as the tailwheel of the Me 110.

Profile below is of a production a/c (none known to have been produced) which differs from the V-1 in having gear doors - the V-1's u/c was locked down for test flights and featured closed and faired gear doors.

Will try to get some pics up tomorrow.

263_32nd_fusleft.jpg

OK, pictures of progress over the last couple of days - done quite a lot!

First pic shows outer fuselage half. Line in front of wing LE is where a few mm were removed. Milliput used to build up rear cockpit fairing. Wing fairing needs re-shaping both in side and plan view.

263001.jpg

Next is inside of this fuselage half. Couple of half bulkheads in place. Milliput used to thicken up strategic areas and a piece of aluminium used to line what will be u/c bay.

263002.jpg

Next up the wings as 'donated' by one of my Hasegawa 163s. Why did they have to put a joint running along the middle of the ailerons and flaps!!?

263003.jpg

Wings after they've been relieved of flaps, ailerons and speed brakes. The fairing covering a fuel transfer pipe was re-located on the 263 - mine has been removed but not yet refitted. Flap and aileron will be sanded down to get rid of fabric effect. All surface detail removed from wings.

263004.jpg

Finally, major components taped together - its a nice looking plane. The wing root closest to the camera has been filled with milliput and about 50% re-shaped. Original vac tail is taped on but I'll probably butcher one off the 163 for this build.

263005.jpg

The 263 is about 40% bigger (longer) than the 163 so its roughly the same size as a Me 109.

263006.jpg

That's all for now - more to come.

Matt

Radu + Texas thanks for your kind words.

Radu, yes I think the 163 tail will do but it has to be made taller - I think more of the tail was covered by the fillet on the 163 - out with the X-acto!

Matt

• 1 year later...