My New Venture - KLP Publishing

LSP_Kevin

Kev congratulations on yoir new venture. Wishing you all the blazing success you deserve buddy!

Try to sign up but it came back with an error saying "spam" or something. I'll try again tomorrow!

Karim

Thanks, Karim. If you continue to have trouble with it, let me know and I'll check it out. It's still all fairly new to me, too, so at this stage I have no idea what the problem might be.

Kev

Thanks, Radders. Good question! Eventually I plan to have 3 book series in play: a "Build" series, a "Technique" series, and a "Build Special" series. Eric's book on Brick's Sabre will be the first of the Build Special series.

For the Build series, I'd like to focus on less mainstream kits and subjects - so, lots of resin kits, short-run kits, and esoteric subjects. This series will effectively consist of build guides.

The difference with the Build Special series is that the builds take things one step further in some way. For example, Eric's Sabre book includes Brick's bio, and many of the anecdotes that so enthralled us in the forums. It's as much a tribute to Brick as it is about how to build the Italeri Sabre, just as it says on the cover. While I don't have any more of this series planned yet, suitable topics would cover major conversions, kit-bashing, scratch-builds, and anything that goes beyond a straightforward kit build with a sprinkling of aftermarket.

The Technique series seems self-explanatory, but my aim is to take small elements of they hobby that many of us struggle with, and provide detailed guides and solutions that are as comprehensive as possible, and cover every practical angle and approach. I'm currently negotiating with one of our very own for the first title in this series.

In each case, I'm hoping to work with a variety of world-class modellers whose builds either offer something a little different from the norm, or represent the very highest level of it. I do plan to contribute the odd build myself, but I'd prefer to publish the work of my betters. That said, I'm open to suggestions and proposals, so get in touch if you have any ideas.

Kev

Thanks for the reply Kev, there was one other question I was going to ask but forgot at the time and I can't see it mentioned else where... Are these books just going to be LSP based models? Or will it be spread out between other scales, 1/144th, 1/72nd etc...

Thanks for the reply Kev, there was one other question I was going to ask but forgot at the time and I can't see it mentioned else where... Are these books just going to be LSP based models? Or will it be spread out between other scales, 1/144th, 1/72nd etc...

Another good question, mate, and one I've put a bit of thought into. The main focus will indeed be on LSP kits, but not exclusively. If a useful build guide can be assembled for kits in other scales (or genres), then I don't see why not. Often, though, there's just less to talk about with smaller scale subjects, and they end up being better suited to shorter magazine articles. But like I said, I haven't ruled them out, and if you have any ideas or proposals, touch base via PM or email.

Kev

• 2 weeks later...

Some good news with regard to the debut book on Eric's Sabre! While still tentative at this stage, it looks like I'll be able to include a series of walkaround photos of the CAC Sabre, taken by one of Australia's leading aviation photographers. The deal is yet to be finalised, but I don't foresee any issues, and I hope to be able to confirm it soon.

Kev

Some good news with regard to the debut book on Eric's Sabre! While still tentative at this stage, it looks like I'll be able to include a series of walkaround photos of the CAC Sabre, taken by one of Australia's leading aviation photographers. The deal is yet to be finalised, but I don't foresee any issues, and I hope to be able to confirm it soon.

Kev

Cool Kev...

looking forward to an update on how the book is proceeding!

Karim

Kev

I can now confirm that the book will contain over 30 close-up walkaround images of the CAC Sabre based at Temora in NSW:

Sabre-ASO-logo-1-of-33.jpg

This will raise the price of the book slightly, but also add an additional 20 or so pages of exclusive content. Thanks go to Mark Jessop of Aviation Spotters Online.

The book is on track for a release at the end of the month.

Kev

I guess I'm going to have to buy it, so I can learn what that pipe-thing extending down the fuselage is.

Actually, the book doesn't explain that, and I'm none the wiser either! But you'll get a really good look at it, though.

Kev

I guess I'm going to have to buy it, so I can learn what that pipe-thing extending down the fuselage is.

:hmmm: 

It's a pipe! :)

Sign me up as well. A CAC Sabre? Awesome. I heard they became one of the best Sabres, or am I wrong?