Virginia Marie using Trumpeter P-38 Lightning

dmthamade

Don:

I am new to this wip.  I too built a P-38 and primered it like you did with gray color.  But, I always use dupli-color gray primer from my local auto parts store.  You can buy either the heavy fill which covers small defects or thin coat primer.  It provides excellent adhesion and doesn't lift probably because of its auto application. Plus it provides an excellent surface for whatever your top coat color is. You might have to wetsand it with 1000 grit sandpaper again sourced from your local auto parts store.  Your P-38 looks great and hopefully it won't take you a year like it did for me.

Jerry 

Edited by gerry1

Thanks for the support, guys!! The Aluminum is so easy to apply and looks great!!

Don:

I am new to this wip.  I too built a P-38 and primered it like you did with gray color.  But, I always use dupli-color gray primer from my local auto parts store.  You can buy either the heavy fill which covers small defects or thin coat primer.  It provides excellent adhesion and doesn't lift probably because of its auto application. Plus it provides an excellent surface for whatever your top coat color is. You might have to wetsand it with 1000 grit sandpaper again sourced from your local auto parts store.  Your P-38 looks great and hopefully it won't take you a year like it did for me.

Jerry 

Hello Jerry!! Every time i get car parts i pass by the spray can racks and see all the different primers and colors, always tempted to try them. They also have clear coats that tempt me, too.

I've been spending time masking and painting various panels. I'm using Tamiya, Model Master Acryl, Vallejo Model Air and Metal Color. All of them work well, but i have to say i'm really happy with the Metal color stuff!! Looks good, easy and convenient to use, water clean up, super impressed. I was able to mask them off 10 minutes after applying using Tamiya tape, absolutely no stripping of paint!! So, for me, the primer is a non starter, but the Metal Color IMHO is great stuff.

dket68.jpg

TWKWVa.jpg

8LFBRO.jpg

0yspNs.jpg

Q4Pslt.jpg

UYZEZ6.jpg

Almost time to start on the blue. I've been trying to find a shade of blue to match the decals. Decals give a suggestion of Dope Blue/Light Blue Shade.....great....

Hasegawa released a kit with these markings, all the builds i've seen show a much lighter blue that what the Bombshell decals are. Paint suggestions also found online also look off....nothing easy.....time to try mixing....

Don

Thanks for the support, guys!! The Aluminum is so easy to apply and looks great!!

Hello Jerry!! Every time i get car parts i pass by the spray can racks and see all the different primers and colors, always tempted to try them. They also have clear coats that tempt me, too.

Do it! I always use a rattle can if I can. You don't have to clean the airbrush afterwards

Richard

Thanks for the support, guys!! Happy with the way things are now. I've hit it with 4-5 different shades of aluminum paint, not huge differences between them and my photo skills don't show them that well. After washes and weathering the differences  should show more contrast. Did find a blue, looks close to the decals but darker than online builds are. Time to think again....

Don

Well, been busy painting for the last few hours, did finally settle on a blue. This is MiG Ammo Dark Grey Blue MiG-229. This was a color recommended on another site, looks like a great match. I first sprayed Tamiya flat white XF-2 in the masked areas, then sprayed the blue. The wing tips and wing stripes have white borders that are supplied as decals. I sprayed white for the blue to cover better and be brighter, and to mask a 1.5 outer border then spray the white. Much happier doing it this way rather than rely on decals. Still have to do the prop spinners, oil cooler inlets and tail tips. I'll leave these for tomorrow, just want to take a break. Have to say, the blue and white really make the build come alive.

z4AZRD.jpg

S6XJpv.jpg

MbfbDb.jpg

I must have changed a camera setting or something, you can see more variety in the silver shades, now.

Don

Edited by dmthamade