1/18th Fw-190 from HobbyBoss

Radders

Large Scale Planes (LSP) benefits from an international membership, some of whom do not speak English as a first language. Therefore, I find it of great importance to be accurate and clear in terminology, especially in using abbreviations when posting to LSP. Americans have perfected the art of abbreviation to make life easier and more convenient. However, using abbreviations can lead to confusion to non-native speakers as well as those who are either fatigued, or are suffering from information overload (saturation). What can normally happen is that one will briefly over-fly the text and misconstrue an abbreviation as something else entirely. As in the case of using HK for Hong Kong Models, this should be abbreviated to HKM. Many members may only unintentionally see KH which has been used previously as an abbreviation for Kitty Hawk model (KH). Whatever we choose to write, we should be as accurate as possible. Just imagine the confusion generated on our forum if a certain percentage of the LSP membership began referring to LSP as LS… what?? Are we now talking about Large Scale Modeller (LSM)??? I'm beginning to get confused… I know that we live busy lives and we are reaching information overload and saturation levels on an unprecedented level, but we should strive to be as accurate as possible in our terminology and abbreviations to support clarity and understanding. We must transcend our own ethnocentricity and articulate ourselves as best as we can to include the greater international membership here at LS… whoops, I meant to write LSP.

That's my two-cents…

Cheers

Alan

Well said Alan.   I think a lot of us Yanks get wrapped up in our "own little worlds" so-to-speak, and we could do with expanding how we think. I definitely think part of the large appeal of LSP is in fact how global it is.  I love that aspect; one of many. 

Quite a cool plane built in Brazil, also license built in the UK. The Super Tucano is even better looking but this below is a standard Tucano..

LIN_06_289_B_014_big.jpg

Looks like a fun plane to fly!

Well said Alan.   I think a lot of us Yanks get wrapped up in our "own little worlds" so-to-speak, and we could do with expanding how we think. I definitely think part of the large appeal of LSP is in fact how global it is.  I love that aspect; one of many.

I couldn't agree more!! No matter where we are geographically we are infinitely connected to the entire world!

Cheers

Alan

Been to a restaurant in the US recently?

In a hotel in Connecticut I was served a creme brulee that was about 9ins in diameter. In Europe these are served in 3ins ramekins. I wasn't complaining but my wife ate half of it.

Big cocktails are good!

Just waiting to see the Hobby Boss 1:200 scale Titanic and 1:48 scale Ohio class submarine

Tony

Hanging from the ceiling of my shop, I have the following 1/18 scale, 21st Century Toys planes:

F-86

P-51D (x2)

P-47 Razorback

TBM Avenger

Spitfire Mk.I

A6M2

P-38J

Ju 87B

Bf 109E (x2)

Bf 109G (x2)

Fw 190D-9

Always dreamed of a 190A, but haven't bought anymore of the big planes in years. This would be a great excuse to get one and, being able to paint it how I want from the start, is also appealing. I am anxious to see more details when they come out. I'm trying to stick to 1/32 scale (just finished a 190A-8 this morning, in fact!), but this is probably my all time favorite plane, so having a monster version is going to be difficult to pass up!

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Been to a restaurant in the US recently?

My wife and I were in Washington DC not long ago - two restaurants were visited and we left before ordering... massive portions of processed food (I'm being polite here), and nothing really healthy! A quick Google search for a healthy alternative revealed Founding Farmers so off we went there - normal portions of good wholesome natural food with a pretty hefty bill at the end - but well worth it! What always surprises us the most in the US are how friendly people are compared to the rude people in Europe and how LARGE some people are... I saw a couple sitting at a table once at a steakhouse in DC that were so big the chairs they were sitting on practically disappeared... and the four legs were straining away under all that weight! Holy Smokes! Very rarely do we see people of similar porportions here in Europe... I just wish people here in Europe would be as polite as our American brethern! But what is with the portion size in the US anyways?? It's gotten out of control!!

Cheers

Alan

In a hotel in Connecticut I was served a creme brulee that was about 9ins in diameter. In Europe these are served in 3ins ramekins. I wasn't complaining but my wife ate half of it.

Big cocktails are good!

Just waiting to see the Hobby Boss 1:200 scale Titanic and 1:48 scale Ohio class submarine

Tony

I know I'm causing thread drift... but I just have to comment on this: portion size in the US has gotten out of control... the last cremé brulee I ordered was exactly four small dessert spoons worth - nothing more, nothing less! And that was at a small cafe in Lyon, France!

I just wish people here in Europe would be as polite as our American brethern!

Ever hear the expression, "fat and happy"? That's us, we're friendly because we eat! If Europeans ate more, you might note be so rude.ðŸ˜

Seriously, though, our problem isn't portion size, it's just simple laziness. Too lazy to cook healthy at home.

Seems like a lot of people assume that everything served on the plate MUST be consumed right there, right then. Portions are what the individual makes of them.

All the wacky size comments read just like the same type of comments made about 1/32 by smaller scale snobs.

Looking forward to a BIG '190 kit, just for the fun of it.

D

Seems like a lot of people assume that everything served on the plate MUST be consumed right there, right then. Portions are what the individual makes of them.

All the wacky size comments read just like the same type of comments made about 1/32 by smaller scale snobs.

Looking forward to a BIG '190 kit, just for the fun of it.

D

Clarify that please. Off topic I know, so if I build anything < 1/32 I am a snob. That is the impression you are creating. You tactfully removed your "1/72 scale snobs". Changed your mind? 

Clarify that please. Off topic I know, so if I build anything < 1/32 I am a snob. That is the impression you are creating. 

Your perception is pretty far from what was posted.

As much as I hate explaining the obvious, the snobbish comments in this thread ridiculing 1/18 scale mimic the same type of comments made by smaller scale modelers that ridicule any larger scales, including the preferred scale of this board: 1/32. 

You tactfully removed your "1/72 scale snobs". Changed your mind? 

I changed nothing. Not sure what you think you see, but there's not even a "edited" tag in my post. 

Just read what's there. Don't add your own ideas, thoughts or misinterpretations. I posted exactly what I meant to post. Nothing more, nothing less. 

D

Maybe I came across a bit harsh, but that is how I felt about your post. Bad hair day. I have the most utmost respect for the work I see on this forum, and it is my "go to place", It is the internet, people speak their opinions. I really don't think there was any ridicule. 

Ok, I will admit that I am a 1/32 scale snob, or elitist, or however you want to put it. I will not build an aircraft model smaller than 1/32 scale, no matter what. I'll go bigger on occasion, but never smaller. Not sure why, just no interest at all. Maybe it's my OCD nature, gotta have everything in relative scales or it looks wrong to me. Even the only tank model I have is 1/32, so it doesn't look out of place next to my planes.  Guess that means I'm a "scalist", or a "scale supremist".

It also serves to keep my bucket list short..... :)

Tim

Edited by BiggTim