HPH Fw-189 A-1

Jan_G

Hi guys,

time to start my summer project #2...

Untitled_zps28im4vnk.jpg

I realized,  that 3 HPH kits I have, represents 33% of my current stash :) so its time to start to build it :frantic:

so it will be my first HPH model and first all resin model, so looking forward to this OOB build, with just some small extras if needed.

I did not see lot of Uhu`s builds on the web so will try to cover it with lot of pictures and hope that I will do justice to it.

971a2444-11a5-4fce-887f-744171095d87_zps

67d55a10-2490-45f3-8b73-aaa8b80c6755_zps

I love this style of model content, you really do not have to buy anything :)

And yes, one of the reasons I have started Uhu is that I need some material for Sandy seatbelts because dont want to use PE ones anymore :)

and will try wet transfers for the first time so Im happy   :hmmm:

Ok, main parts needs some carefull cleaning...

793ae907-603c-46b3-90ac-ccdd53f16216_zps

IMG_5836_zps4bhy9jag.jpg

used lot of water, Tamiya fine knife and Radu`s fine saws 8 for this job...

IMG_5828_zpsfpipcjos.jpg

and it went quickly and well...

IMG_5847_zpsbg1u0boo.jpg

thanks for looking

jan

Thanks Paul, thanks Iain :)

Currently I am so into modelling that yesterday I went for 5 days business trip to Bucharest and I put in my suitcase even some resin parts, sand paper and tamiya knife so I can clean them up in the evenings...hopefully before evening parties :)

it appears that main challenge is to put wings together with cross-beam in perfect alignment

Even if you will clean carefully main parts, there are no exact pin marks and cross beam consist of 3 parts  :hmmm:

so I was just following instructions....

glued beams to wing parts and middle section...

IMG_5879_zpsn3ry17o8.jpg

and prepared some stuff to keep all parts aligned.

I used to play with allignment and dry fitting for 2 hours till I glued it  together (descriptive geometry was my favourite discipline during my studies :) )

493f34c2-c20e-4bce-947d-6995074ad357_zps

IMG_5881_zpsjezwa5df.jpg

and after 1 hour of epoxy drying I just realize that something wrong with left wing angle...

ebcbf2b2-647e-492d-8b8a-5aca041e22cb_zps

this small deviation caused that left wing tip was 5mm above the level of right wing tip.

So I cut the beam from wing and scrub the glue and refix it in better position  :deadhorse:

and the result, wings glued together and alligned, yeees

IMG_5888_zpsxhu6pwu0.jpg

this stage can be show stopper so take your time. 

thanks for looking

jan

I would like to kindly ask you guys for some advice regarding epoxy glue

I bought this tamiya stuff at my LHS (that fellow didnt have anything else in stock currently)

its 5 min epoxy and its quite easy to work with it.

IMG_5882_zps0vs7hfks.jpg

but didnt find any evidence regarding usability with resin, how it will survive sanding and so on

So pls do you have any experience with this?

It looks that original HPH epoxy is out of stock currently, so do you think that even such two components epoxy stuff from brands like Uhu or Pattex will work well with resin?

thanks a lot for recommendations.

jan

So glad to see you start this one, Jan. It's a great project, for sure! I'll be following along avidly.

With regard to the Tamiya epoxy cement, it should be fine for use on resin. Most epoxy glues are good for most jobs, and will give you more strength, with less brittleness, than CA.

Kev

I would like to kindly ask you guys for some advice regarding epoxy glue

I bought this tamiya stuff at my LHS (that fellow didnt have anything else in stock currently)

its 5 min epoxy and its quite easy to work with it.

but didnt find any evidence regarding usability with resin, how it will survive sanding and so on

So pls do you have any experience with this?

It looks that original HPH epoxy is out of stock currently, so do you think that even such two components epoxy stuff from brands like Uhu or Pattex will work well with resin?

thanks a lot for recommendations.

jan

Hi Jan,

can't comment on the Tamiya stuff, but I have tried some 5 min epoxy from Pattex on my Hph Me410 and it failed miserably. From that point on I reverted to superglue and Hph's own epoxy. Lovely stuff, but it takes 24 hours to dry so you have to plan ahead. The good thing is that you have plenty time to adjust the parts if needed. 

Anyway, you can order their epoxy glue directly from their website.

Cheers, Wouter

thanks guys for recommendations, really appreciate it

Will try to send email to HPH, because their website show stock 0 for their epoxy currently, or will try to find it on other eshops

and meantime will use this Tamiya glue

jan

Guest Clunkmeister

Awesome start, Jan. The trimming and initial ling me t are always the most tedious, critical and time consuming parts of these builds.

Most of us tend to rush through this most critical step. Me included...

• 3 weeks later...

quite slow progress with this one

cleaning parts, sanding and dry fitting of major parts...but honestly I really enjoy this kind of builds :)

first layer of surfacer applied and Gunze RLM02 used for wheel wells

and I was playing with Radu's rivet tool a little bit - its great. I was doing rivets for first time and realised that it was not such a challenge than I expected.

lessons learned: If you poured a soap water in the sink - always use strainer  :rolleyes: - waste disposer ate 3 parts in past week  :shrug: but I have written to HPH already If I can get them extra

was waiting for HPH Epoxy, but now  I have it so will glue main parts together as a next step...

IMG_5944_zpsinzkh9rt.jpg

IMG_5954_zpstzvsdz4g.jpg

IMG_5953_zpsiapt6cie.jpg

IMG_5947_zpst9nuzcph.jpg

IMG_5951_zpsmlejnxrk.jpg

IMG_5950_zpszjxwkc2c.jpg

IMG_5948_zps1a3yhw9l.jpg

thanks for looking

jan