How do I cut a canopy...

...without breaking it? I have an idea for creating a 1/32 T-38 so I can complete a Thunderbirds aircraft from the Belcher bits resin kit and the Hasegawa kit. I need to cut 3/8" off the end of the canopy in order to make the middle section (for the pilot).

I have two complete cockpits for the plane now. I will use the standard canopy for the rear seat. Sorry for the long explanation, thought it may help to describe what I'm doing so that if someone has a different idea they could toss that out too.

Edited by themongoose

Pack out the underside of the canopy with some form of malleable putty or clay, otherwise you risk crushing or snapping the brittle clear plastic.

Kev

These two are absolutely correct!

I use Radu's razor saw, although I use the larger, fine saw blade. It gives a bit more solidity and cuts straight, just let the blade do the cutting and don't force it.

Maybe use some thick Dymo label tape to mark the cut area, use it as a guide.

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77_112&products_id=316

RB-T016.jpg

Guest Jessie_C

You can also try scribing. Mark your cut line with a piece of Dymo tape, and then repeatedly run your scriber gently over the line, getting a little bit deeper with each pass. Once you have a nice deep mark the saw can't skip out of, then you can complete the cut with the saw.

I usually use this kind of razor saw (JLC razor saw) when i need to cut clear resin or plastic. It works nicely, but you better protect the areas close to the cut (if your hand slips...).

Since a few builds, i even use it to rescribe some panel lines, when the surface is not smooth, or on very curvy surfaces.

DSCN4506.JPG

Edited by Zero77