I see you're in Dallas....."GO COWBOYS"

• tomv87 likes this

#18 tjtx

tjtx

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:01 PM

I live here, but I'm not from here. I'm not a fan but boy is it entertaining listening to all the sports radio shows. Between Jerry, Romo, Dak, Dez, and all the others there's never a shortage of comedy gold. Not much into the NFL, my team is The University of South Carolina.
  • Out2gtcha and tomv87 like this

#19 aircommando130

aircommando130

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:06 PM

I bet...The Romo/Dak story is still big news.

• tomv87 likes this

#20 tjtx

tjtx

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:34 PM

Just got home yesterday, so not too much to report, but she's on her own legs now. They're only dry fit and still need some weathering but it's something.
9FhfNSd.jpg

I'm stalled in the paint booth till my painting masks arrive. I changed my paint scheme again after coming across what I think is a great scheme. Hopefully next week I'll get her painted.
  • Peterpools likes this

#21 Joel_W

Joel_W

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:10 AM

Falcon20,

Impressive to say the least for your 1st prop aircraft. The Jug is one of my all time favorites. I've got the very same Trumpy kit in my stash.  You did an excellent job on those horrendous wing panels. Looking forward to seeing your jug fully painted and wearing those Kit Maker decals.

I wouldn't worry about how they go on, as I used them on my P-38 build. Not to thick, and not to thin. They conformed very well to surface contours using the Micro system. For the last few years or so I've used Paul Budzik's system of adding Solvaset as a final solution, and it made a tremendous difference.

The only issue I see is that Trumpeter once again didn't mold the valve pushrod tubes correctly, as they're all a tad short. I ended up replacing them on my F4F-3. If the cowling covers them, then don't even bother. I tried with some success using punched out spacers to fill the gaps. Either way your build really looks quite good.

I know you're planning one of your special bases. Care to share you ideas?

Joel

• Out2gtcha and Peterpools like this

​ 57JzwY.jpg

Just Completed: Trumpeter 1/32 Scale A-4E Scooter

On my Bench: Kitty Hawk 1/32 Scale AV-10A Bronco

#22 tjtx

tjtx

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:26 AM

Thanks Joel. Since this is a build to practice with, I don't mind a few kit flaws. I haven't finalized the base idea, but I do have the wood piece and a few ideas floating around. That will be revealed once it's completed.
  • Peterpools likes this

#23 Joel_W

Joel_W

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:25 AM

Thanks Joel. Since this is a build to practice with, I don't mind a few kit flaws. I haven't finalized the base idea, but I do have the wood piece and a few ideas floating around. That will be revealed once it's completed.

Falcon20,

Looking forward to another award winning base. I wouldn't worry about the push rod tube issue. I don't think you can see it from the outside looking in. Seems to be a standard issue with Trumpeter kits. Wonder if it's the same mold.

Joel

​ 57JzwY.jpg

#24 mmaben

mmaben

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:22 AM

That's looking really nice tj    :goodjob:

• Peterpools likes this

I just like airplanes

Mike                        Smirnoffcat    RomanianG-2

#25 tjtx

tjtx

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:55 PM

Landing gear is done. Nothing special, everything is from the kit, rubber tires and all but I'm quite pleased.
ucLJreJ.jpg

pEXd8MU.jpg
  • Peterpools and Shaka HI like this

#26 Joel_W

Joel_W

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:32 AM

Falcon20,

Looking good. I've also am dealing with my 1st set of rubber tires. Honestly, they don't look that bad, but there is a lack of detail on the sidewalls that the AM Resin one have that really stands out. Still, they look fine and will do the job.

Just one suggestion, I would apply a black wash to both struts, which would really make the cast details standout.

Joel

​ 57JzwY.jpg

#27 tjtx

tjtx

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 03:42 AM

Thanks Joel. I've already run a black and brown wash over everything. That's why the wheel spokes don't look solid anymore which I'm glad worked. The "dirtiness" doesn't show in the photo but it's noticeable in person. Hopefully my paint masks arrive tomorrow so I can get some color down.
  • Peterpools likes this

#28 tjtx

tjtx

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:59 PM

"You'll never get better if you don't push yourself." My dad is a wise man, and told me this last night when I questioned my ability to pull off the scheme I was eyeing. So, go big or go home!
Here's what I'm trying:
PmZrDGd.jpg

I laid down the white this morning, so it's full steam ahead.
Yx7bMuk.jpg

I've never used masks, and the shark mouth will be very tricky since it goes over cowl flaps and onto the fuselage. I really don't know if I can pull this off, but it'll be a learning experience either way.
  • Out2gtcha likes this

#29 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,428 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:38 PM

"You'll never get better if you don't push yourself." My dad is a wise man, and told me this last night when I questioned my ability to pull off the scheme I was eyeing. So, go big or go home!
Here's what I'm trying:
PmZrDGd.jpg

I laid down the white this morning, so it's full steam ahead.
Yx7bMuk.jpg

I've never used masks, and the shark mouth will be very tricky since it goes over cowl flaps and onto the fuselage. I really don't know if I can pull this off, but it'll be a learning experience either way.

Looking great!  Great advice from dad................Just take your time, and depending on what the masks are make of, they can be very stretchy, and even be pulled up and re-situated if needed.

Also, if they didnt give you masks for the tail strips, just get the size of tape that best matches the stripes, and lay on multiple rows of that tape stacked horizontally, then remove every other one (after shooting it white of course) and shoot the red. 

Who are the masks made by anyway?

Cant wait to see some color! 

Edited by Out2gtcha, 10 January 2017 - 03:39 PM.

• Peterpools, tomv87 and Shaka HI like this

#30 tjtx

tjtx

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

Thanks. It's the set from Montex. I'll have to cut them to separate the cowling section from the fuselage section. They included the tail striping too, but I'll wait to paint that last. It will be easier to mask it that way. If it all goes to crap, there's a nice looking RAF scheme included that I'll use as a backup.
  • Out2gtcha, Peterpools and tomv87 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Trumpeter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users