RB Productions - Yokosuka MXY7 Ohka Type 22 - **FIN!**

Out2gtcha

I used IJN Green that I combined with a few drops of blue.

Florin

039.jpg

Im probably going with the OOB instructions for the more base IJN Green on the interior.   What did your documentation show for the IP, stick and tubes in the cockpit and whatnot?

Guest Peterpools

Hi Brisan

What a choice and out of left field doesn't come close. I'll be following and learning as you go

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Guest Clunkmeister

Very interesting! I will be following along closely....

Edited by Clunkmeister

Guest Clunkmeister

Thinking about an OOB for next year, maybe simple WnW... But must work on Connie, MiG-23 and C-46. WnW will be reworked Felix, methinks.

Thanks gents!!   Wow, must be SUPER nice to live so close to NASM!!    If you are already there, cool Id take any pictures you get, but dont put yourself out. The only question at this what exactly the details on the cockpit were painted.

The place is absolutely incredible! It might be a little difficult to get a good picture of the cockpit due to the angle that they have positioned it.  I'll try to head up there this weekend and snap some pictures for you.

Guest Smitty44

Thinking about an OOB for next year, maybe simple WnW... But must work on Connie, MiG-23 and C-46. WnW will be reworked Felix, methinks.

Wait, next year? I missed that last night.

Thanks gents!!!    I actually did start cutting some resin last night.  Pics eminent.....................

The place is absolutely incredible! It might be a little difficult to get a good picture of the cockpit due to the angle that they have positioned it.  I'll try to head up there this weekend and snap some pictures for you.

Ill BET!  Its on my bucket list for sure. Someday, I will plan a trip there, and spend a few days straight in there.

Ok,

So here we go.............

As with any resin kit, no matter the kit, I proceed with my normal SOP; Take all the resin parts and separate them into individual Tupperware containers. Then I give all the resin parts a good overnight soaking in "Bleache Wite".  This stuff is quite caustic to skin, but takes any and ALL mold release agents, grease, grime and generally anything that is foreign off of the resin. Great tip from a friend who used to be in the movie/prop making business. 

After soaking all the resin parts all night, I took them out, and washed each part by hand in warm soap and water, usually using "Dawn" dish-washing detergent as it seems to do an EXCELLENT job of removing grease, and any left over Bleache Wite.

After washing, rinsing, and drying all the parts, I put them all back in the Tupperware containers, and made a start hacking some of the first needed parts off their respective pour blocks.

This is one part of resin kits that is really nerve wracking. This can be especially true with extremely delicate parts like the two turbo-fans for the rocket engine.

These are exceptionally well molded, but I was kinda freaking out about how to get them off their pour blocks in the same condition they were molded in. It seems my fears were unwarranted, as Radu himself seems to have come up with the best tool for this job in one of his fine cutting razor saws. 

I wanted to get these parts off first, as I stood the greatest chance of breaking them. Turns out, the razor saw went cleanly through under the blocks, and both fans came out almost perfectly, as did cleaning up the rest of the intake and flame tunnel:

20170803_200209-XL.jpg

20170803_200216-XL.jpg

The two impeller fans fit perfectly in the flame tunnel housing, and together they look really great:

20170803_200147-XL.jpg

Once dry fit into the fuse (which also fit perfectly) they really do look terrific, and you will be able to see quite a bit:

20170803_200305-XL.jpg

20170803_200533-XL.jpg

Even with the exhaust nozzle on (also dry fit here) you still should be able to see quite a bit of the motor:

20170803_200610-XL.jpg

The view from where eventually the side intake scoop will be gives a very good look into the rocket motor, and in the end, even with the scoop on, I think you will still be able to see down through everything, and get a good look at all the internal detail:

20170803_200419-XL.jpg

I had to go into work overnight last night to run a change order, so I didn't actually get to glue any parts together, but with how delicate those fans were/are, I feel pretty lucky to have gotten away with what I did.

Now that  the weekend is here, I have some more time, and will hopefully not only get some stuff glued together but slap some paint around as well. 

Cheers for now! 

Nice to know I am not the only one who finds a way to paint his magnifier/light source.

Haha, happens ALL the time!

Actually I HAD two crane style lights, and one has been burned out for months and months. I was attempting to take pics for an upcoming project magazine article, but with only 1 light, the pics were no where NEAR good enough for zine quality.

I DO however now have a 22" crane style  Ottlight on the way!   YAY!  I cant wait to get back to full lighting as extra lighting for building and especially taking pics is most welcome. 

I'm confused now.  I always thought these had a pulsejet like a V1, or a rudimentary rocket. This looks suspiciously like a turbojet...

It was fitted with a thermojet engine. This has a piston engine which drives the compressor fan, hence the small exhaust stubs on the underside. Compressed air is injected with fuel and ignited.