Nieuport 11 Duks (or Dux, or Дук�...) made (russian)

Zero77

I have the Begemot decals, too, and the recently released russian Nieuport 21 as well (a huge set ! But i dont think they would sell a lot, as building a Nie-21 asks for at least 2 kits and certainly some scratchbuilding skills).

Yes the profiles in the Begemot set are in natural tan fabric color, but i think it's wrong. It may be ok for french built Nie-11, but russian built ones should be a kind of dull silver/grey. Only the earliest ones were built in France.

According to the only picture i was able to find of the one with the white skull over a black tail, mine will be grey. :)

I have the Begemot decals, too, and the recently released russian Nieuport 21 as well (a huge set ! But i dont think they would sell a lot, as building a Nie-21 asks for at least 2 kits and certainly some scratchbuilding skills).

Yes the profiles in the Begemot set are in natural tan fabric color, but i think it's wrong. It may be ok for french built Nie-11, but russian built ones should be a kind of dull silver/grey. Only the earliest ones were built in France.

According to the only picture i was able to find of the one with the white skull over a black tail, mine will be grey. :)

Hmm.   I wondered about that.  I have Nieu-17 markings (they are the silver-grey color), but I thought the non-Duks 11s were in natural fabric.  I'll have to look at my ginormous book before starting this project.

http://www.amazon.com/Imperial-Russian-Service-Famous-Aircraft/dp/0963711024

Did my PhD work on the IRAF--but I focused on the EVK Il'ya Muromets detachments and not so much on the fighter arm, so my knowledge is a bit lacking re: color schemes.

Keep up the great work--watching this with interest!

Tim W.

but I thought the non-Duks 11s were in natural fabric. 

You're right, i read the same things :

Duks = silver-grey

french built = natural linen / tan

And for me, this one is from DUKS factory (dark dull color, double white outline in the roundel, small hump behind the cockpit, though that last feature may not be a strict evidence) : 

nieuport11.jpg

These ones seem to be french built ?

22-1.jpg

Edited by Zero77

Nice book, by the way ! Thanks !

I have this one : 

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Aviation-Colours-1909-1922-Camouflage/dp/8363678481/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1464371753&sr=1-2&keywords=russian+aviation+colours

But i'm waiting for the volume two, focused on the Great War.

Nice!  I'll have to add that one to my list.  I guess I'll just verify (if I can) where the aircraft in the Begemot set were actually built.

This sort of detail can be really hard to run down, given records are incomplete (at best).

Cheers,

Tim W.

Russian records for this era are pretty sketchy.  They might have been good "at the time," but with the disintegration of the Army in 1917 a lot was lost, never mind what happened later with the Civil War and Soviet re-writing of history.

Tim W.

Then i made a quick dry fit of the upper wing to see if everything was good. It was far from perfect. But i saw what i had to correct. Anyway the small Nieuport looks cool !

20160525_210203_zps5cgyntwd.jpg

20160525_210213_zpsuawijkun.jpg

So i carved holes for the front cabane struts, so it looks more realistic than just gluing them on the cowling, and it makes them a bit shorter. I also filed the surface where the rear struts are glued, so  the fit will be better and stronger.

Here it is with a first coat of paint. I actually repainted it a few other times as i wasn't satisfied with the color. It's a mix of (rather dark) grey with a bit of matt aluminium.

20160530_014339_zpsspq6gar6.jpg

Here is the final mix i used : 

20160604_161142_zpspfabefe2.jpg

Then i had to paint the markings. I have the Begemot decals but first they would ask for 3 decal layers for each roundel (white + red + blue) and secondly the proportions between the blue and red and the white outline did not match my (only) reference picture. So i designed my own masks. It took my a whole day to paint this roundels ! (yes, there are 12 roundels made of five circles each)

20160604_160505_zpsmiczhag7.jpg

The red coat : 

20160604_202554_zps4rk9rsmh.jpg

ANd done : 

20160605_004505_zpscmrlttd7.jpg

20160605_004521_zpspf4nsqds.jpg

20160605_004534_zpseiufkdvz.jpg

THen as a first step of weathering, i had to shade the wing ribs : 

20160605_184501_zpsfnzjt8gd.jpg

20160605_184506_zpss58nxnvn.jpg

And now here is where i am, with the black tail with the skull (so badass !) :

20160605_200224_zpsrscxbnjj.jpg

20160605_200234_zpsvx6efwge.jpg

20160605_200238_zpsgwfzfc29.jpg

I wish the rib shading would have been more subtle, but i was not able to control it enough (i only noticed it when i unmasked). However, after the weathering is done, i think it will be more blended.

Edited by Zero77

Thanks Ray ! 

I hope so. This effect is definitely visible on the period picture, but i found it a bit overdone especially on the roundels. I think a bit of dust, oil, and grime would make it looking more "normal" for an aircraft operating on the outwearing eastern front. :)

nieuport11.jpg

Super!   I may have to do something like that for the fabric colored weathering.  Sometimes I paint a dark coat, followed by a light coat.  Then use extra fine sandpaper to reveal the undercoating bits.

Tim W.