Is the Hobby entering and evolutionary stage?

Gerhard

Super gigantic static plastic kits are never going to be runaway best sellers.  Even most Americans with our huge houses don't have room for them.

Exactly. My space is reserved for Ju-88 and other twin engine planes. I updated my bench to fit a Felixstowe. That's my limit.

Rick

What I would like to see is more very large scale kits of parts of an aircraft - cockpits, instrument panels, even engines. I have a very nice kit of a Spitfire control column at 1:1 scale. Nice details, not many parts and doesn't take up much room.

I whole plane seems to me to be overkill with the attendant issues about space and toy like qualities. I also think it is a fallacy to assume that larger scales are easier on the eyes. The larger the scale, the more tendency to need more details which means small parts. 

Interesting comments. I would like to revisit this thread in 5 years time. I agree that 1/24 id for now about the limit, but lets be honest, a 1/18 scale Harrier (or whatever) will look impressive hanging from the ceiling. Gads, imagine a 1/18 scale Mosquito produced by Tamiya!!!

There's that point to consider, as well as what I call the "Barbie Camper Van" dilemma with huge model kits.

To my eye, once things get to a certain huge size, they start to look like a toy.  Something like a Barbie Doll camper van which my sister had in the 1970s.  LOL.

maxresdefault.jpg

Richard

Guest The Southern Bandit

I've thought about one of these 1/18 aircraft kits, but as many point out they almost all are not of the fidelity/detail most of us are used to in 1/32 or even 1/24 ... fair play if you have a passion for a particular Aircraft and it appears as a 1/18 release then I might be tempted and I nearly was with the AV8 version I saw on here recently, but although I love Harriers it would need to be a GR1 or perhaps GR7 before I personally would consider a 1/18 model of one and that aint gonna happen :)

I'm a keen Model Motorcycle builder too and belive it or not you can buy fairly high fidelity 1/4 ... true quarter scale Motorcycle kits, very very expensive though, only looked at one ... the Pocher Ducati 1299 Panigale S and this is north of £600 and I've seen aftermarket for it ... but if i could still Ride and afford the real thing then this would be a must buy for sure ... it looks stunning :)

https://www.pocher.com/uk-en/shop/1-4-model-kits.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=11&v=ks8VYudc9UQ

1/18 is perfect for me as it is big enough to look realistic and have every component, but I guess only really for single seaters - my Spitfire is about as big as a 1/32 Ju88

I only complete a model every few years so space is not so much an issue and I would love to see more IM kits in the scale as they are great canvases to work from if you are in for the long haul..

Peter