Spitfire MkXIV

Moving on to the wings. This was my first big "uh oh, sphagettios(?)" moment. After cutting out the oil cooler/radiator, and taking a spare radiator off another kit, well..uh...it didn't work. :) Radiators on a set of Mk9 set of plans. These will go on the Mk.6 bubble top version I'll be making with all the pieces that are left over from this kit bash. I hate to waste good parts. ;)

post-4413-1207650795.jpg

Blaaasttttt!!!! :(

A picture is worth a thousand curse words. Scratch build radiator time. :) Radiators on a Mk14 set of plans. Hmmm.

post-4413-1207651161.jpg

Radiators need to be shaped slightly different, and about 3/16th" deeper. Tonights project.

As an aside, when doing research last night...I found this. A model by Steve Siviter which is on the LSP site(somewhere). Notice the resin engine,E wing, shaved fuse and tail on a Hasegawa fuselage. Dooohhh! Didn't know such things existed. This project is all about pushing my envelope, and using what I have available, so mine will be a low budget plastic facsimile. I typed in spitfire mkXIV in yahoo search and this came up for this site....but I can't find it.(he had to build his own radiators also, so I don't feel so bad. hehe)

Had to show pics of the "destruction before construction" phase so everybody can follow what I'm doing. This is going to get a LOT more interesting (now that I know what the heck I'm doing!) Later, Russ

post-4413-1207651972.jpg

Hopefully, the radiator elves will build(and scribe?) some new parts for me, and they'll be on my bench in the morning?

Hi Russ,

nice job you are doing here.

This is a project lots of us would like to takle I guess and I certainly do.

I had a dream... to build a MK XIV and a Mk XVIe bubble top from a couple of hasegawa Mk V and a revell Mk 22 but everytime I get in front of the boxes and get prepared to start the work, I wake up!

I just really never had the courage, time and willingness at the same time to start this project but you are tempting me :)

As far as doc is concerned, you are welcome anytime.

Cheer,

Loic

Me too! Loic! Me too!, the exact 2 marks of spits! I am mixing/matching pieces to make those exact two versions. I will be taking those radiators that don't work on the MkXIV,and put them on my spare wing with the fuselage of the Mk22(with the pointy rudder that I won't be using now also), and make a Mk.VI. I'm using the Merlin, lengthened, cut off this spit(with exhaust stacks from a P-51) cut off with the 4 bladed prop from this kit also! So, even though I'm crying the blues...it's all working out by not working out!? :) Glad you like the build so far, and if you have any questions, please feel free to correspond! Russ

Mucho thanks Kevin! Ironic that you should mention that. What impressed me most about reading your builds was the "human side" of them. You also never gave up. Just when I'd read about a problem you were having with a new technique or something, it was comforting to see 3 more pages of posts...so I knew you hadn't thrown in the towel. Heck, after reading about your 1st build with the D-9(and building a NEW tail for it!!!), I know I can do it on this bird too. Thanks for the inspiration buddy. :) Can't wait to post more pics with some new construction here. Bwhahahah! It's all about having fun,...right! Russ

Welcome to LSP Russ - your Spitfire XIV conversion looks to be great fun - I'm glad that you are enjoying it. Spitfire marks (and their relationships to each other) can be very confusing at first, it took me quite a while to sort it all out (you could spend a whole life time trying to learn all you can about Spitfires - only to realise that you really never quite know as much as you thought - just ask Edgar Brooks! :)). I hope that you complete this build, as I'm sure that it shall inspire other modellers to have a go at some serious 'cross-kitting' in order to produce a new mark of aircraft.

Best regards

Derek

Well, it's Day 5 of my build! Tried out my new "scratching"(maybe it was scribeing?) technique last night, and did the wing underside. Note to self; get a scribeing template. Wanted to do that BEFORE I put my new radiators on. Ahhh, foresight..it's your friend! :D Now that the "angry bad man" in my head has gone away(doing panel lines was everything I'd hoped it would be-and MORE!), I was able to finally build something, yeah! Radiators came out OK, but ...still...need...to...be...scribed. :blink: I have the panels marked in pencil to see where they go. Here's a poor pic of the profile.

post-4413-1207831330.jpg

I need to get better lights. Tail is a piece of paper slid between fuse 1/2s to see how it will look.

Here are some smaller pics to show how I've taken down the bottom cannon bulge, rescribed panels,(note to self; next model must not have raised panel lines) and filled vents(don't know what they were?) in the outer wing undersides. post-4413-1207831675.jpg

Here's another view. Next step is wingtips, modifying armament, and scribeing the wing top. I can't wait for that! :angry:

I do have a question for anybody that knows. Did the later Spitfires have a greater forward rake on the landing gear? Looking at my references, it seems it might be possible.

post-4413-1207832005.jpg

I am still working on putting some kind of mesh or grill in the radiator fronts. These radiators are huge compared to a MK.IX!!!