Tanmodel of Turkey, 1/32 programme

Tony T

Hey, before KittyHawk released any kits, they hadn't released any kits either. Any more than WNW, Revell or Airfix had.....

I'd prefer to reserve judgement until we see some actual output. And remember, if the first kit wasn't so hot, they will have all the more reason to make improvements to the next releases. All these producers use essentially the same software, the same tooling CNC systems and so on. The only thing that truly differentiates them nowadays is the quality of their research. And that is down, ultimately, to how passionate they are about the subject matter.

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow

Hey, before KittyHawk released any kits, they hadn't released any kits either. Any more than WNW, Revell or Airfix had.....

I'd prefer to reserve judgement until we see some actual output. And remember, if the first kit wasn't so hot, they will have all the more reason to make improvements to the next releases. All these producers use essentially the same software, the same tooling CNC systems and so on. The only thing that truly differentiates them nowadays is the quality of their research. And that is down, ultimately, to how passionate they are about the subject matter.

Tim

Fair point.

I understand that these ambitions have been going on for quite some time now, at least the others delivered within a reasonable time span.

HK got off to a relative slow start but at least they're now delivering, Tan Model has yet to develop any matured projects under their own label so are still only aspirational.

I'll reserve judgement, but at the moment they're all vapourware so no excitement from me as yet!

I'm in exactly the same position with my glider kit. It is all vapourware and without the money, that's the way it will stay. But whether it ever gets launched or not, judging at the moment on my plastic kit design output alone,  you would have no idea of how much experience and passion I have....

Tim

Edited by wunwinglow

I'm in exactly the same position with my glider kit. It is all vapourware and without the money, that's the way it will stay. But whether it ever gets launched or not, judging at the moment on my plastic kit design output alone,  you would have no idea of how much experience and passion I have....

Tim

Tim

All agreed, but for me, you're a known source and have credibility of history and therefore in a far different category to the others.

I think at times I prefer companies to keep quiet and then surprise the market with their offerings, otherwise it just seems to drag on and on and destroys confidence in them.

Trumpeter were a good example with some of their promises, who on here really believes that they'll turn out a 1/32 Devastator anymore?

It's only my personal take on the issue, I don't intend to upset anyone about this.

In the meantime, I wish you the very best of luck with your intended projects if and when they come to fruition. 

Have fun! ;)

Roy, we waited about seven years for the Trumpy Intruder. It came out, and exceeded expectations. There are a couple of Tempests which are calmly emerging at a slow but sure pace. The HKM Lanc's been some time in the making. There's a bunch of stuff like that, including Kitty Hawk's Jaguar pencilled in for the future and just vapourware in the present.

Trumpeter / Hobby Boss are pretty much done with 1/32 aircraft, so the Devastator may indeed be as unlikely as them picking up the thread on their Su-22 and Buccaneer concepts. However, there are new jet kit players in town who mean business, including Kitty Hawk, Italeri, Kinetic and Tanmodel.

I might rate the chances of a 1/32 Tanmodel Freedom Fighter / Talon and Phantom 2 family as significantly greater than the Aardvark, but their intentions are honourable and we have no reason to doubt their sincerity.

Tony

Fair point.

I understand that these ambitions have been going on for quite some time now, at least the others delivered within a reasonable time span.

HK got off to a relative slow start but at least they're now delivering, Tan Model has yet to develop any matured projects under their own label so are still only aspirational.

I'll reserve judgement, but at the moment they're all vapourware so no excitement from me as yet!

Roy ...

I definitely understand your Skepticism ... How long have we been waiting to see that Tempest from Special Hobby/MPM?? ... I'll get one if it ever gets released - but excitement is zero! ... Now, we're starting to see regular updates re: the masters, but it's all a little too late IMO.

To be fair on HK - It started pumping out kits in a very reasonable timeframe - after actually becoming HK. Before that, there was that big drama over someone waiting for venture capital etc ... all water under the bridge now - they make good stuff and it's getting better!

Which will Tan model be like ... Promising the world and delivering an atlas? ... or exceeding all expectations? ...

Judgement reserved, good call!

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

Roy ... 

Which will Tan model be like ... Promising the world and delivering an atlas? ... or exceeding all expectations? ...

Judgement reserved, good call!

Rog :)

Rog, I'd take their Vark regardless. The option is a very unpalatable vacform of a very complex machine.

In any event, I'm rather cheered by this venture - even if we just get a 1/32 T-38.

Tony :)

Well, even when a kit actually exists, this does not mean it will be widely "available" ;-)

Two resin kits of the Alpha jets were released but finding one is as easy as discovering the holy grail as only a single (and small) batch of each one was ever released.

The ridiculously cheap 21st century kits were available in a lot of US stores but they were already becoming collector items when the first ones arrived in Europe.

And what about the Hobbycraft Mustangs which stay true rarities in the old world?

and I may go on with some Hasegawa references that are disappearing as soon as they have been released. The list is endless...

:crying:

Persevere Lee ! Then we'll get an IM version !

Seriously, if you need F-111 reference material for anything specific, let me know. I have structural break-down drawings on disc somewhere, along with all the key measurements for pylons, drop tanks etc.

(Off-thread on a tangent, have been comparing the Tigger Su-15TM with scaled-up drawings and it comes out pretty well. The tailplane need extending in chord by about 5mm but the basics are there for wings and fuselage. The radome needs extending by ~10mm in length and 2mm in diameter where it meets the fuselage, but the rest matches drawings and shape better than my 1/72 Trumpies.

I've also realised that the sometimes-used twin twin-23mm cannon pods can come straight out of a Trumpeter MiG-23MF box.

The Flagon is something I dream of in 1/32 IM format, the way others dream of an all-new EE Lightning or Foxbat PD or RB - and, of course, a good F-111.

Tony