Photo

Silhouette Cameo: About to Take the Plunge (But Want Advice)!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 mywifehatesmodels

mywifehatesmodels

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:08 PM

Over the past few years, I've used Montex mask sets on a few builds and I've been cutting my own masks (although, just simple stuff) for quite some time, using Kabuki tape, Tamiya sheets, etc. The two planes I'm working on right now are basically pieced together from my spares, especially the decals. No real masks, spare some Tamiya tape for a couple of stripes and the canopies, of course. In the past couple days, I've come to realize just how much I prefer masking/painting as much as possible, as opposed to using decals. So, I think it's time.....

I want to order a Cameo, but would love to get advice from those who have them and have used them a bit. There are some threads that cover some of this, but my main question is; with what's currently available for this setup, what would you recommend I order, right up front? Take into account that I'm surely going to need at least a couple practice runs to learn and get it down. So, what should my shopping list look like? Also, if anyone has opinions on a good U.S. source(s) to purchase from, I would love to hear that, as well.

TIA,

John

• harvey and mpk like this

#2 ericg

ericg

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:44 PM

A roll of Oramask 810 would be a good start.
  • mywifehatesmodels, ScanmanDan, harvey and 2 others like this

Check out and like my Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/manscale/

#3 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,907 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:53 PM

You can also buy sheets of Tamiya kabuki masking material that work great.

• mywifehatesmodels, harvey, Out2gtcha and 1 other like this

"It's all part of the show..."

#4 Bruce_Crosby

Bruce_Crosby

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:15 PM

Hi Guys,

I've had my Silhouette for a few weeks now and the first few tries were a complete PITA. Went thru a few feet of Oramask 810 and a few sheets of Tamiya paper before I got the settings right. But now I can do things easily, like wheel masks. I measure with a digital calliper and draw using AutoCAD 2007 in Windows 10 in compatibility mode. Export as a .DXF file. Open the Silhouette program and import the file, which will get dumped off screen in the top right hand corner. Zoom out and drag it onto the workspace.

Load the paper and send the file to the cutter. Minutes after you draw the file you can be fixing the masks onto the model and spraying. I'm building a fleet of 1/48 Hobby Boss Fw-190D variants and needed to mask the tyres so I could spray the wheel hubs. A quick measurement, onto the computer and within minutes I had the masks.

So when I come to finish the pile of 1/32 Hasegawa Fw-190D kits I've got piled up, there won't be a problem. On this I'll be doing the crosses and other markings too.

Just be prepared to use a few sheets and feet of cutting medium of your choice, but when it clicks you'll have fun. And all those Armour kit wheels will be a breeze too.

Regards,

Bruce Crosby
  • mywifehatesmodels, harvey, Out2gtcha and 1 other like this

#5 wunwinglow

wunwinglow

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:24 PM

Cut your pattern on plain paper first. It is less painful to screw it up and fling it in the bin when you get it wrong..... Ask me how I know!!

Edited by wunwinglow, 20 July 2017 - 10:24 PM.

• Rick Griewski, mywifehatesmodels, harvey and 2 others like this

My Father told me two things would happen as I got older.
I can't remember either of them....

FLYINGSTART_TITLE%20SMALL.JPG

#6 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,402 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:26 PM

Cut your pattern on plain paper first. It is less painful to screw it up and fling it in the bin when you get it wrong..... Ask me how I know!!

Duh! No clue why I have never thought of that before.
  • Rick Griewski, harvey and mpk like this

#7 DesTROYer

DesTROYer

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:41 AM

I have the cameo and I love it. The learning curve on the software isn't very steep and you can find yourself making your first set of masks in no time. Every time I use mine, I find a new technique or idea too.
  • Rick Griewski, mywifehatesmodels and mpk like this

#8 MostlyRacers

MostlyRacers

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,957 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

The key is setting the depth blade right. For most materials we use, like Oramask or kabuki paper, a setting of the blade on "1" will suffice.

You should have a few spare support sheets as well, as you will most likely start cutting through it in the first passes ;). Oh and some spare blades ... I found myself without blade on a saturday night after trying to cut through some thin plasticard ... Now I have a few in stock in a drawer (and will probably change one only because it is worn out ;) ). But cutting with a broken-tip blade can do a lot of damage to the support and the sheet you are trying to cut. Ask me how I know ...

Hubert

Edited by MostlyRacers, 21 July 2017 - 08:48 AM.

• mywifehatesmodels, Out2gtcha and mpk like this

#9 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,402 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:00 PM

The key is setting the depth blade right. For most materials we use, like Oramask or kabuki paper, a setting of the blade on "1" will suffice.

You should have a few spare support sheets as well, as you will most likely start cutting through it in the first passes ;). Oh and some spare blades ... I found myself without blade on a saturday night after trying to cut through some thin plasticard ... Now I have a few in stock in a drawer (and will probably change one only because it is worn out ;) ). But cutting with a broken-tip blade can do a lot of damage to the support and the sheet you are trying to cut. Ask me how I know ...

Hubert

I purchased 4 extra blades more than a year ago for mine, have never moved the cutter settings off 1 ever, and still have not used any of the extra blades. 

• mywifehatesmodels and mpk like this

#10 mywifehatesmodels

mywifehatesmodels

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:09 PM

Thanks, everyone!

This is exactly the information I was looking for and I greatly appreciate it. I'll be compiling a shopping list based on all of your suggestions. I already have some of the Tamiya sheets, but will add to my supplies and be making some purchases in the next week or so. Next up is to get my printer running (or get a new one. What gives with printers not lasting a year nowadays?) so I can do my own decals again, as well. I'm sure there's a limit to what you can do with the Cameo, which leads me to my next question.....How small/detailed can you get with these? I'm sure there's a limit, but wonder what you guys have been able to pull off.

Thanks again,

John

• Out2gtcha and mpk like this

#11 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,402 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:23 PM

Thanks, everyone!

This is exactly the information I was looking for and I greatly appreciate it. I'll be compiling a shopping list based on all of your suggestions. I already have some of the Tamiya sheets, but will add to my supplies and be making some purchases in the next week or so. Next up is to get my printer running (or get a new one. What gives with printers not lasting a year nowadays?) so I can do my own decals again, as well. I'm sure there's a limit to what you can do with the Cameo, which leads me to my next question.....How small/detailed can you get with these? I'm sure there's a limit, but wonder what you guys have been able to pull off.

Thanks again,

John

I just printed off some stars for the wheels on my Fokker D.VII using the "Designers Edition" software and a sheet of Oramask 810 (8x12 for my Portrait) and I  ended up cutting them about 1 - 2mm tall without any issues at all.

20170629_172745-XL.jpg

• Rick Griewski, mywifehatesmodels and mpk like this

#12 mywifehatesmodels

mywifehatesmodels

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:43 PM

Thanks, Brian!

That's smaller than I thought would be possible, so it's great to see! WONDERFUL looking Fokker, by the way! :goodjob:

John

• Out2gtcha and mpk like this

#13 mmaben

mmaben

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:54 PM

John, I highly recommend cutting your teeth (well not literally) on

a few videos. They were helpful to me starting out. Like Bruce

said, after you get past the basics of operating the machine

you'll be fine.

https://www.youtube....ilhouette cameo

https://www.youtube....l for beginners

https://www.youtube....outette connect

I just like airplanes

Mike                        Smirnoffcat    RomanianG-2

#14 Mikester

Mikester

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:57 PM

Anyone have a central repository for files?  That would be great resource.

Mike Offutt
Yokosuka, Japan via Temecula, Ca

http://www.jg32.org

#15 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,402 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:00 AM

Anyone have a central repository for files?  That would be great resource.

Karim and I have been interested in that idea for awhile!!    It would be a great central repository/FTP or what have you, to share peoples files that they have made. I have tons of German crosses and what not Ive made in Silhouette form.    After the PB debacle, we haven't picked it back up yet. 

• Mikester, mpk and mmaben like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users