Heinkel He -111.

TimHepplestone

SO, my last attempt at a GB I ended up off topic and finished late. Therefore can only do better this time around. After consuming a 1/1 scale Heineken I've decided on Revells 1/32 Heinel He-111 H-6. The idea is to backdate it to and earlier H versions as flown by KG 53 around 1940. Kit includeds interior bomb bay from the P version but I'm going to face some serious issues with the ventral gondola. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it (he says eyeing a second Heineken). In the meantime I'll start off OOB except for some resin seats with PE belts and eduard interior set.

UggWCvGl.jpgaxJRqF2m.jpg

Tim,

Great subject and good luck on the kit!  Looking forward to following along.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Spent a couple of hours on the cockpit this afternoon. I don't know what Revell we're thinking here but the parts a scattered about the sprues seemingly at random. And the sprues arn't numbered. You end up with part no 23 next to part no 345 and part 25, which you need , is on another random sprue

Tim, that drives me batty too!  One of the first things I do is to highlight the Sprue ID in paint or marker or something.   I HATE chasing sprues to find parts.  Oh well, first world problems, eh?

Looking forward to seeing your work.  I had a 111 in my stash at one point, 1/48 scale.  I'd have to fine someone who makes masks for that canopy.  I do like the idea of using decals cut to fit the framing but that is tedious work. 

Chris

:rofl:  Welcome to the world of Revell of Germany!!  :rofl:

Half the fun is the tension you feel every time you think a part is lost. And then the elation you feel when it isn't!

I'll highly recommend the Eduard and HPH resin cockpit set for this kit if you're as anal as I am. there's a fair bit left out of the kit. Nothing big, just little things that busy it up. Also some good resin wheels help, you'll definitely want to get aftermarket guns, (The kit parts are almost 48 scale), and some aftermarket decals as well. The kit decals are a bit "off".

Assuming any of that matters to you, that is. It's an awesome kit, one that I'm about half done, but have slowed on as I learn the secrets of simulating oil canning in the metal.

Oh, and if you're REALLY a rivet counter or just like these things, some good resin props and spinners from Henri Daehne really help on this one. The kit parts are not quite right, and Henri's parts are darn near 100% correct.  He sells a hit for the 111H that includes the nacelle fronts, spinners, props, and governors.

I'm looking forward to this. It's gonna be epic!!!!

Ernie, you are a hoot!  I'm not telling you what I'm building next as I'll go broke on all of the various parts I'll need to add!  But the guns and props are great points - both are so visible (even with the cockpit under all that glass).  Just seems to me that really good guns make a kit pop.

You going to Phoenix this year?

CN

Tim, that drives me batty too!  One of the first things I do is to highlight the Sprue ID in paint or marker or something.   I HATE chasing sprues to find parts.  Oh well, first world problems, eh?

Looking forward to seeing your work.  I had a 111 in my stash at one point, 1/48 scale.  I'd have to fine someone who makes masks for that canopy.  I do like the idea of using decals cut to fit the framing but that is tedious work. 

Chris

Problem here is Revell haven't bothered to ID the sprues

:rofl:  Welcome to the world of Revell of Germany!!  :rofl:

Half the fun is the tension you feel every time you think a part is lost. And then the elation you feel when it isn't!

I'll highly recommend the Eduard and HPH resin cockpit set for this kit if you're as anal as I am. there's a fair bit left out of the kit. Nothing big, just little things that busy it up. Also some good resin wheels help, you'll definitely want to get aftermarket guns, (The kit parts are almost 48 scale), and some aftermarket decals as well. The kit decals are a bit "off".

Assuming any of that matters to you, that is. It's an awesome kit, one that I'm about half done, but have slowed on as I learn the secrets of simulating oil canning in the metal.

Oh, and if you're REALLY a rivet counter or just like these things, some good resin props and spinners from Henri Daehne really help on this one. The kit parts are not quite right, and Henri's parts are darn near 100% correct.  He sells a hit for the 111H that includes the nacelle fronts, spinners, props, and governors.

I'm looking forward to this. It's gonna be epic!!!!

Thanks for that. Un fortunately I live on the arse end of Africa and access to am parts is difficult. Half the time the post office doesn't work, and the rest of the time stuff just gets “lostâ€. Still it's nice and sunny here Will be scratching some thin wire from stretched sprue for the cockpit tomorrow

Great subject :frantic: 

I just whished I had picked up one of these kits while they were still available. I just got the P-1, but really hope that once Revell will re-release the H.

Cheers

Alex

Got to work on the cockpit. Plastic parts put together with sime stretched sprue for wiring under the pilots controls.

KsmPeuGm.jpguaHlBaOm.jpg?1

Resin seat to replace the fairly dismal kit part.

Then lazy afternoon spent painfing and adding Eduard PE. Followed that with a dark brown enamel wash and flat coat. Wooden door done with base coat of tamiya desert yellow then oils-  burnt umber and ocher streaked over the flay coat, then followed with coat of tamya transparent orange. Think it adds a nice splash of colour. Thinking about adding some Airscale placards to dolly it up a bit. I reckon some of those expanses of RLM 02 could do with breaking up a bit.

wmi5g2nm.jpgt0CIXRLm.jpg

Started work on the interior fuselage. First job was to fill in numerous sing markes on the interior.

HgdMSZ7l.jpg?1

I filled them with white PVA. Far from perfect but should be adequate for the interior, where I'm hoping most of them will be invisible anyway.

Then painted the interior RLM 02.  Faded a little bit with base coat mixed with white and sprayed it on the middle of the panels and highlights.

Qff9A2rl.jpg

I will probably add some washes to the front cockpit area but probably wont bother with the rest as so little will be visible through the fuselage windows anyway.

Tim,

The cockpit looks AWESOME!!!  Super nice job.  I was in Joburg a few years ago, and then down to Cape Town for a conference.  If I ever end up there again I'll let you so you can place an order for the AM stuff you want.   B)  But from the looks of your work, you don't really need it.  Nicely done!

Never know how the year will turn out!

Chris

Life and work means bench time has been a bit haed to come by this week. Still managed to get a few hours in working on the undercarriage. The main wheels consist of lots of rather fragile plastic parts with shallow locating pins. Still it seems sturdy enough when put together. 

PoOpjfHl.jpg

6FoXGp8l.jpg

Just added brake lines as per my reference pics. After a coat of paint and weathered it looks like this

OFzxrWVl.jpg?1Z15PMXhl.jpg?1IY7uREEl.jpg?1

After market undercarriage would definitley be helpful but as the nearest set is about 7000 mies away I'll just have to make do, Hopefully the undercarriage will hold up. :hmmm: