1/32nd EE Lightning F6

tomprobert

Morning folks... and thank you for the kind words and feedback on the Lightning...

It looks great! I like your modification of the landing gear.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks - and it really was very simple. I cut the legs just above the oleo, removed 2mm, drilled and pinned it and "hey presto!" It gives a very subtle difference to the sit and I think improves it dramatically... well worth doing for a few more minutes of work.

Very nice work indeed Tom! I don't know how you find the time to churn out all these excellent builds. May I publish it on the website?

Kev

To be honest Kev it's been on the go for the last couple of months on and off - it gave me a break from the Halifax when the going got tough and as I wanted this to be a quick build I didn't start a WIP thread. Construction only took a week or so as it's a quite simple kit - the real time was spent on the cockpit and the painting and decalling process.

And of course you may publish it to the main site - you never need ask  :)

Considering it is mostly OOB, that is beautiful Tom, well done (not only is it in the colours of the squadron I served on, it is also the sister aircraft to one of two LPG EE Lightnings that assist working on at Bruntingthorpe, XS904).

Awesome build.

Regards

Derek

Many thanks Derek - I simply love the Lightning (this is the 3rd Trumpeter one I've built, including a T4) but I must confess, ashamedly, that I've never made it to Brunty to see the Lightnings in action. I really take my hat off to you chaps for keeping these beauties in running order - I can only imagine the temptation to 'go vertical' and give the latest generation of fighters a lesson in fast climbs!

I must get up there when you next have an open day - it's long overdue!

Great stuff buddy. I have the same kit and decals all I need is time to build it. This scheme is awesome and the shark mouth is totally cool ;)

Thank you - and the shark-mouth is what really took my fancy I must confess. It was only applied to three aircraft I believe, and only for a short time whilst they were on a visit to RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus. When they returned to Binbrook they disappeared quite quickly, sad to say!

The paint finish that you've got there Tom is absolutely spot-on, subtle variations in colour and very light weathering which makes the aircraft look SO convincingly real.  Posed against an airfield background I'd challenge anybody to say whether it was a model or not.  Simply supreme!!

Max

Thanks Max - I must say I've never been a great fan of too much weathering; in my opinion it is often overdone and can detract from the overall scale look and finish of the model. I'm more or a 'less is more' type builder - I study the aircraft closely and examine many photos of the real thing (if possible) and try to recreate the wear and tear using pastels and some subtle variations in paint tones. When viewing an aircraft from distance (which when we build models we effectively are doing just that) it's rare (if ever) to see perfectly highlighted panel lines etc - rather you see grime and muck and some oil/hydraulic fluid perhaps, and that's about it. Therefore, that's my approach - an only my opinion of course!  :)

Morning folks... and thank you for the kind words and feedback on the Lightning...

Many thanks Derek - I simply love the Lightning (this is the 3rd Trumpeter one I've built, including a T4) but I must confess, ashamedly, that I've never made it to Brunty to see the Lightnings in action. I really take my hat off to you chaps for keeping these beauties in running order - I can only imagine the temptation to 'go vertical' and give the latest generation of fighters a lesson in fast climbs!

I must get up there when you next have an open day - it's long overdue!

We will be running one of the aircraft at Bruntingthorpe on Sunday 24 August as part of the second Cold War Jets Day (CWJD) dissplay - well worth seeing for all of the aircraft that run on the day apart from the Lightning (which of course, seems to be the main attraction). I do not know which aircraft will be operated, but I suspect that it may be XS904. I have four brake chutes to pack on that day as well as install one into the aircraft that will be carrying out the run, but it would be a pleasure to meet you (I missed you at Telford but saw your WIP B-29 last year).

Regards

Derek

"I must say I've never been a great fan of too much weathering; in my opinion it is often overdone and can detract from the overall scale look and finish of the model. I'm more or a 'less is more' type builder - I study the aircraft closely and examine many photos of the real thing and try to recreate the wear and tear using pastels and some subtle variations in paint tones. When viewing an aircraft from distance (which when we build models we effectively are doing just that) it's rare (if ever) to see perfectly highlighted panel lines etc - rather you see grime and muck and some oil/hydraulic fluid perhaps, and that's about it......"

With you 100% there Tom, the study of photographs of the real thing is key and of course it's a damn sight harder to achieve the less-is-more effect than slapping it on willy-nilly!

Max

Guest Peterpools

Tom

Brilliant build and simply stellar work. Totally knocked out with the finish and it's exactly as I like them ... clean and mean!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Peter