1/32 Trumpeter F-117 yet another stealth build

Palm-tree

Hehehe - I would love to see an end to the chute bay myself!  :)  Sadly, no word on progress from Mike on the RCS screens.  At least one could still finish the kit and save that detail till last or even as a later retro-fit I would expect, with small difficulty.  Mine's been sitting in the box fr a good while now too - just been too busy with everything else day to day to focus on the details I want.  And I have been bogged down with working out the PE bits I wanted to do as well.

Here's to hoping we can both start up again soon!

Bri~

Iain, sadly, Dave here has gotten further than I in many regards on the kit.  Mine's stalled out for the time being, but hope to be back at it again sometime soon.  I'm still working out trying to have some custom PE details worked out for various bits around the kit including replacing the exhaust vanes with PE which is much more to scale, and of course my dreaded door uplock mechanisms in the gear wells.  We've been trying to sort out better RCS screens for the engine intakes, and to that end have talked at some length with Mike at Sierra Hotel models who feels that better parts are possible.  The big difficulty there is of course, finding enough interest to make the parts viable for his company to design, prototype, and eventually put into some sort of limited production.

I can speak to the quality of the Aires cockpit upgrade (I'd go so far as to call it a must for this kit), and the Brassin wheel set.  The gear wells are a more or less blank canvas, and you can go positively nuts there if you choose.  The Eduard PE sets do offer a lot of help for the exterior and gear wells in particular, but aren't strictly required of course.  I'm still mixed on the appearance of the AFV Club canopy - it's perhaps better than the original, but the colors aren't iridescent as is seen in photographs and video. Anyway, given your quality of builds and skill that positively drips from your fingertips - we can't wait to see what you can do with this kit!  :)

We've also been trying to find good reference material for the braking parachute bay just forward of the vertical tails.  I had seen a build of the Tamiya 1/48 kit years ago that a guy had scratched a bay and generic looking chute pack back there, but it sure looked cool.  We've been trying to find any sort of reference material that would allow for anything close to resembling an accurate representation.  Dave's had more luck than me (which is not to say much at all so far) but a couple of grainy photos are better than nothing perhaps.  :)

When do we get to see your build?

• 1 month later...

About the same. :) Still trying to sort the RCS grills, and of course the gear bay bits. I think I've got the exhaust vanes more or less nailed down, and just need to get everything put into vector format. Which for me is by far the most formidable aspect of the process.

If we can get that darn chute bay figured out, I could see a PE set for that as well to include proper rivet and bulkhead detail. Jus have to find those elusive images to help get it all right!

Mine is still sat in the box - next to the bench - daring me...

AFV canopy looks OK - and will improve look - but suspect I could have saved some pennies and use Tamiya clear mixed with food colouring to get a similar effect to the AFV Club one.

But - hey - it's nice to splurge on a little aftermarket now and then  :)

Mine will carry the name of one of the RAF pilots that have flown her over the years.

Such a difference to the old Testors/Italeri/Revell kit - which I did start about 20 years ago...

Maybe after Telford.

Iain

Iain, the AFV Club canopy has a slight iridescent/metallic look to it that, while still not acurate to the original, is closer than a tint would be (such as tinted Future/Klear.) Did you happen to pick up the Aires cockpit set? That's possibly the single biggest improvement I've seen for the kit in terms of bang for your buck.

As mentioned earlier, I'm still hoping to get the PE set all wrapped up as well if I can get the blasted illustrator vector files to work out properly. Would be happy to grab an extra set or several if any of you lot think they might be useful.

Hi guys, any of you lot know which decals were supplied for the Italeri and Revell kits (1/32 scale)? i am building my trumpeter F117 now and am deciding to have the Toxic Avenger Markings (as tribute to my fav band IRON MAIDEN), but there are no aftermarket decals for the Toxic Avenger. If anyone has the 1/32 scale decals for the Toxic Avenger varient, i would gladly exchange them for my 1/32 scale Caracal Decals.

the other option is to print, but i cant print white, not to mention i have to come up with the artwork.

hope you guys can point me to the right direction

cheers

Shan,

You might consider custom decals such as from Stencilpal.com. Randy is great to work with and he did my custom set for this: http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=49739&hl=%2Bthe+%2Bspook

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom

will give that a try. did you do the artwork yourself of you had help from Randy? and What software was used for the artwork ?

thanks again

cheers

• 2 months later...