1/32 Trumpeter F-117 yet another stealth build

Palm-tree

Ah - the rotating beacons...got it!  From the look of the images I've been able to find, they appear to be a screw/bolt on type device, that appears to be easily removed if needed.  My understanding is that they were not in any way retractable, and neither were the wingtip nav lights:

NavLiteFuseBottom.jpg

(Also never heard of the white light being visible from the rear...sounds like wild speculation to me.  Though I agree about it otherwise meeting standards.)  It appears in more recent images, that the upper rotating beacon was used with less frequency in later years, with the bottom unit being used alone.  I punched out the upper mounting hole for mine, and then thought better of it, and filled it in again myself.  ;)  So I'm sticking with just the bottom unit when I get that far.  Haven't decided yet about the side radar reflectors yet.  I may go ahead and add them, but I like the otherwise clean lines without them as well. 

IMAGE_715.jpg

Bri- yes the anti-coll light looks as though it could be easily unscrewed looking at the archive picture you posted.

How are you progressing with your own build these days?

I did some work on the weapons trapezes.

For some reason Trumpeter moulded the main attachment beams with a 45 chamfer taken off one corner.

Fortunately the Eduard parts correct this apparent anomally. The colour pictures I have, show this corner plate painted in red, presumably to stop the armourers bumping their heads on the sharp corner? I have yet to mask and paint these in red.

I used some Hasegawa silver mirror film for the actuators, first time I have ever used this stuff.

It is great- just cut it to size with scissors, peel off the backing paper and press the fim onto the part and help it to conform to the contours with a soft paintbrush.

It is shown here with a small oblong of the material, but due to the light here, it does not look too chrome.

Next I have to source the Airscale placards set to add some more detail to the beams.

Edited by Palm-tree

IMAGE_716.jpg

Also got started on the Eduard wheels set.

These are fantastic....such a pity that Trumpeter didnt mould the correct tread pattern onto the tyres as otherwise I think they would have been fine.

Anyway....sprayed the hubs in white.

Painted the tiny air pressure valve in MrColor brass.

Centres of the brake units were MrColor Burnt Iron and the outside rusty coloured bits were in Lifecolor UA 703 Rust Light Shadow 1, to add a bit of interest.

Now plucking up the courage to attempt the red placards on the hub....or will I cut a piece of red decal and use this instead?

I am going to use the cast metal undercarriage legs for robustness on quite a heavy kit.

This might mean I have to make some compromises to the strut detail but let's see what can be seen.

Edited by Palm-tree

I hand painted mine...under 3x magnification mind you. And I still went cross eyed. ;) I haven't looked at my own airscale placards yet, but I have to think there's something useful there for the wheels.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dave - any progress of late?  Life has kept me away from my own goblin build more than I'd like the past few weeks...so I gotta check and see if I can get my black jet fix vicariously through others.  :)

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments.

Currently on two weeks vacation so no model updates for a while till I get back to the desert.

I have picked up the Eduard canopy mask set and the Caracal decal set to carry on the work once I get back.

Also as an aside, could my F-117 be the only model that has actually flown over Baghdad?

I purchased it in a model shop near Schipol Amsterdam, and flew it back to the Middle East where my work is, to begin building the model.

Will be cool to finally fly it back the opposite direction once it is finished, safely boxed up in my case!

• 2 weeks later...

IMAGE_801.jpg

IMAGE_802.jpg

Back from vacation, and I brought back the Eduard self adhesive mask set JX141 for the canopy.

The set is absolutely accurate ,I don't know how they cut it with such accuracy?

The mask films themselves are slightly tricky to apply, so as to make sure they align exactly with the recessed areas. I had a few goes with each one, peeling then unpeeling, then re-applying to get them into the correct position. I used a couple of pairs of long Tamiya tweezers to aid this, and this also prevented my fingers coming into contact with the self adhesive side of the masking material.

Next step is to spray the canopy....wish me luck!

Edited by Palm-tree

I'd wish you luck but judging from your build it's unnecessary! I really like the Eduard masks. They can be tricky to remove after painting but I usually gently use a toothpick at a corner; any scuff marks at this spot can then be easily polished out.

Cheers, Tom

My initial hopes of coming up with a cool means to use my optical day job to work out a cool multi-hued iridescent sheen for the canopy glass have come up empty so far.  I'm not giving up all hope, but it's still going to take some time to see if there is any hope of working it out.  I'm excited to see your canopy all painted up here though Dave!  Are you planning on keeping it opened up when you're all finished?  I have contemplated purchasing a second set of these masks and using one on the interior as well, but haven't decided just yet if that's the ultimate route I want to take.

I'm guessing you've seen ericg's canopy treatment from his build?  I had also given thought to trying to mask off the small refueling light on the rear of the canopy apex, and shooting a little silver or white on the backside top (then covering that with black of course) to get it to stand out.  At one point, I almost had the crazy thought of trying to actually light the bloody thing!  Glad that insanity passed without incident!  ;)

Waiting patiently for paint-on pics!  :frantic: :thumbsup:

Bri~

So stealthy...even the pilot can't see.....out of the......wait a tick!  :doh: :whistle: ;)

She's looking the part my friend!  Really liking the look of the blow in doors opened up like that too.  Excited to try that with mine as well.  You said you just used tape to keep them in proper position yes?  Love it!

Brian~

Yes the blow in doors I attached using that really high tack aluminium tape that plumbers use.

It is also applied to aircraft and is known as Speed Tape.

I put some Tamiya tape over the aluminium tape too as back up, although I am not sure why as the doors are not really functioning.

I toyed with the idea of making some spring hinges to keep them closed, and then you could push them open with a pencil or whatever, but this seemed a bit too complicated, and defeats the look of the open blow in doors.

I also considered lighting the rear canopy light to illuminate the refuelling door, but it seemed that the end result would be barely seen unless refuelling at night!

Edited by Palm-tree

IMAGE_821.jpg

"Time"- the one thing it is impossible to buy any more of.

Unfortunately no updates of late due to work commitments.

As a bonus- here is a bit of nostalgia and a view of Baghdad from 34000' last night, taken looking westwards.

Hopefully I will get some precious modelling time again soon....

Edited by Palm-tree