All GB's: Feedback thread.

Erwin

Truth be told...I'm having a hard time coming up with anything that doesn't exist in 1:1 but is available in kit form (in 1/32 at least).

The only "Mainstream" one I can think of is the He 100 and I've already built one of those.

There must be others.

So how about something on a similar theme...Victims? Model an aircraft that was known to be shot down or otherwise lost in combat. Its pretty broad.... See? I told you I don't have 'good' ideas that often.

Got lots of those in the stash.

I still like the idea of doing a GB for aircraft in markings other than the builder's nation.

I do these all the time.

The group builds are fun but don't let it stop you from starting a build in the normal "in the works" forum if there isn't a GB running to your liking. At least that way, you can build at your own pace and not worry about the deadline...

I was thinking as earlier suggested, that a Float plane GB would be something cool and unusual.

Had a list of 32nd / 24th float-planes and there were some in there, not including any vacs or scratchbuilts. :hmmm:

Brian

We're currently looking at reshaping the way that GBs are picked and scheduled somewhat. We're still discussing it, but we'd like to develop a GB calendar, where GBs are scheduled in advance, and are a combination of staff-picked themes and those chosen by member poll. The staff-picked topics could be anniversary or commemorative themes, while the member-chosen topics will obviously be by popular vote.

Kev

Our club did a display a number of years ago called "Adversaries", where two modelers would each build one half of a historical matchup - Zero/Hellcat, 109/Spitfire, 190/P-51, F-4/Mig-21, F-86/Mig-15, Dr.I/Camel, etc...

In the end, we ended up with 23 pairs of aircraft, and each pair was displayed together. Some went so far as to build specific pairs that saw action, others did semi-specific references. Some were pretty common, like those listed above, others weren't so obvious...Spitfire/Fw-190 in Israeli and Egyptian markings, F4U and P-51 in Soccer War markings, etc.

Maybe something could be developed along those lines...

Our club did a display a number of years ago called "Adversaries", where two modelers would each build one half of a historical matchup - Zero/Hellcat, 109/Spitfire, 190/P-51, F-4/Mig-21, F-86/Mig-15, Dr.I/Camel, etc...

In the end, we ended up with 23 pairs of aircraft, and each pair was displayed together. Some went so far as to build specific pairs that saw action, others did semi-specific references. Some were pretty common, like those listed above, others weren't so obvious...Spitfire/Fw-190 in Israeli and Egyptian markings, F4U and P-51 in Soccer War markings, etc.

Maybe something could be developed along those lines...

- 1/35 cobra VS VK "telephone pole" / SA battery?

- Fulcrum VS F-15?

To bad no "what if" adversaries like a Gloster Meteor VS Me262

Thats actually a pretty unique Idea there...... :hmmm:

I like it!

Brian

I think the original premise was that it was a pair of aircraft that saw actual combat against each other. Originally, the criteria was so thin that it was, "LtJg. Smith's F6F-3 versus Warrant Officer Takamoto's A6M5 on July 19, 1944". Trouble was, not everyone had access to that detailed information, so they slackened it and allowed it to be more generic, Hellcat versus Zero 52, Wildcat versus Zero 21, etc.

One of the original catches was that we weren't allowed to duplicate models unless the models were done in alternate markings. I know the Soccer War pair caused some angst early on because everyone felt the P-51 and F4U would be 'wasted'. So again they loosened the grip and allowed for alternate markings and eventually alternate versions, P-51B, F4U-4, etc.

So in theory, we could do just about anything as they options are huge. This doesn't leave anyone out who builds specific subjects "But I only do Korean War USN aircraft", etc.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff Herne