F4U-5N, Guy Bordellon, Korea 1953 FINISHED

blackbetty

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

parts from harold are in, yay!

he cast the parts from the masters of Olivier that were modified by me (he did the radome himself). there will be a limited production run of these, but no time is set. keep in mind these parts are modified by a non-expert (me), there will be some fitting work required, plus some part you will have to scratchbuild yourself. just follow this build and you will have an idea what is involved. i think i will be able to finish it before parts are availible anyway...

27012041507_71574c3595_h.jpg36 by karl holubar, auf Flickr

Edited by blackbetty

Guest Maxim

Great progress and I would be interested in picking up a set of the resin conversion when it's done. Thanks for your hard work and making it available to others.

Sweet, another Corsair build, and this one a -5!

I think it was in Bent Wings, F4U Action and Accidents by Fred "Crash" Blechman, that mentioned a lot of pilots did not like the -5, especially in comparison to the -4.  Ironically, because one of the major complaints about WWII fighter, and the Corsair, in particular, was the cockpits were too busy, and there were too many controls the pilot could forget about in the heat of combat. Things like having to shift the blower as you climbed, and the cowl and oil cooler flaps being manually controlled. Some of the complaints and the lack of cockpit floor were fixed on the -4 models, though I think they still had to control the blower themselves and the oil coolers and cowl flaps, the cockpit layout was much better and shorter pilots were happier too. Then they automated the blower controls and the cowl and oil cooler flaps, and you think cool, lower pilot workload, but the new complaint was the automatic systems were automated, so at times the oil cooler and cowl flaps, or blower might shift, when the other planes in formation didn't making station keeping harder when flying in formation. 

The bigger complaint though, was the trim tabs went from being manual with cables and pulleys to being electric, and I don't have any statistics on the causes of -5 non-combat related crashes and their causes, but not all fears are rational, they feared the button on the elevator trim might stick on, as they were trimming nose down, and they would be forced into an unrecoverable dive.  It would be interesting to see what drove the change, is the electric system lighter than cables and pulleys? Was it just the new wizbang way to go, hell is it even possible, I should really go look at the -5 manual lol?  

The -5 was still a beast of a plane, and the R-2800 in it, hubba hubba!  Also, wasn't it the first Corsair with all-metal control surfaces?

Well, if you see the Bent Wings book out there, it's a fun read.  I'll be back after I look through the -5 manual. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

picked up this build again. will bee too late for the GB, but i now have all the parts to finish it

pit and upper fuselage plug:

42589927302_f5f679f52e_b.jpg38 by karl holubar, auf Flickr

some putty required:

42589927192_124697e01a_b.jpg39 by karl holubar, auf Flickr

fit of the parts is nice:

28767971258_06fb117417_b.jpg40 by karl holubar, auf Flickr

stay tuned...

Edited by blackbetty