Tamiya A6M5 Zero

LSP_Kevin

Looks great Kevin! Nice work. I think the upper panel lines look just fine. Sometimes I tend to overemphasize them and they start to get "comic-bookish". The shading on the green is really good and gives a nice worn but not decrepit look. Thanks for sharing.

Matt

Attaboy, Kevin! That's the style! :lol: Thanks for sharing so many of your nice in-progress pics. Very cool and informative. Always a treat to see how others use different techniques and materials to build their models. I'll always remember this build as the one that inspired me to 'go all the way' with acrylics and see what they're about. Whoohoo! :)

LOOKS GREAT, Kevin! Good on ya for getting it done in your own time and style. Sure looks like a big ole burly, gnarly Zero to me. I like it! B) Later, dude! Russ

Kev,

can I please ask what paint or paint mix you used for the oatake blue as it looks very nice.

Cheers,

Loic

Hi Loic, it's a very old bottle of Xtracolour that I've had lying around for nearly 20 years! X355 Japanese WWII Interior Blue. No idea if they still make it. Personally I think it's too green, and should have a stronger blue cast, but it's certainly near enough given the way this stuff was applied in real life. It gives off a very authentic looking metallic blue-green effect though.

I'm too lazy to mix paints!

Kev

Kev, this looks really nice. Is it your best yet - looks like it to me (from the ones I've seen).

Matt

Thanks Matt. Possibly it is my best yet, at least technically, but the old Revell Dora from 2007 is still my favourite. I still think I can do better!

Kev

Thanks for the kind words guys. I've just taken (what I hope are) some better shots. My photography is passable but my available lighting really suxor. Anyway, on to the pics!

And that, as they say, is the end!

Kev

Kev, that is a very nice looking Zero indeed. :blink:

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the nice feedback guys. I've hardly done any modelling since finishing this kit, but I've finally managed to get the pilot figure done, so I thought I'd update this thread with the results.

post-3071-1235898337.jpg

post-3071-1235898351.jpg

This is pretty much my first real attempt at painting a figure, and I'm happy enough with it. I used a combination of artists' oils and modelling acrylics (Gunze & Tamiya). Next time I'd definitely prime before painting; I can barely look at this one without the paint coming off! I also need to work on my flesh tones, as he looks a little sunburnt...

Kev

• 11 years later...
31 minutes ago, Sakai said:

I really enjoyed this build article. Inspiration is immense and I love the shared learning experience. What a great community of artists. 

Thanks, Sakai! This is so long ago now - never thought I'd see it dredged up again. I still have this model though, and another one in the stash to build some day.

Kev