1/32 FLY Hurricane: spinning wild

quang

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just because I watched 

and took this screenshot and thought I'd add it just for the hell of it.

I've scoured the internet for a couple of years now, including restoration and warbird spares sites, and not found any better showing Hurricane internal canopy detail.

I added these to another thread, but thought you might appreciate them here too.

39330217440_9f858c8273_b.jpg

... and in real life  (the non standard headrest is on Finnish Mk I rebuild HC-452).

IMG_5105.jpg

IMG_5108.jpg

• 8 months later...

Apologies for dragging this topic back to life, but there's so much useful Hurricane info packed in to it, I thought I'd add a couple more photos that may be of help to Hurricane builders in the years and decades still to come. Or at least until another site crash/photo hosting platform failure.

First I'll just clarify the stamped text on the canopy break out panel for the miniaturization masochists out there. Is that a feasible detail for a 1/32nd scale photo etching?

31237620907_82b408a4a3_o.jpg

and secondly an Imperial War Museum photo of Sqn. Ldr. Peter Townsend chatting to his ground crew at Wick in Scotland in 1940.

The Hurricane is clearly not a Mk. II with the bigmouth early type radiator, and no extended LERX under the middle guy's legs.

The interesting thing though is the cannon bracket fitted to the leading edge, a subject which came up earlier in the thread.

It looks to me that it's been cleanly perforated for a .303 MG to fire through in the absence of a cannon, but I could be completely wrong.

31237623167_18f855dac8_o.jpg

Edited by Chek
wrong information corrected

It’s great to see this thread revived thanks to Chek and you guys for the additional info. Makes me want to take the Hurri out of its retirement and finish it once for all.

The problem is that I’m currently thousands miles away from my workdesk and will only be back next year.

In the meantime let the info pour in. As Chek rightly said, this thread is fast becoming a treasure trove of Hurricane facts and will be useful for any builder of any scale.

Cheers,

Quang

On 12/4/2018 at 3:54 PM, Chek said:

The interesting thing though is the cannon bracket fitted to the leading edge, a subject which came up earlier in the thread.

It looks to me that it's been cleanly perforated for a .303 MG to fire through in the absence of a cannon, but I could be completely wrong.

31237623167_18f855dac8_o.jpg

Indeed, completely and utterly wrong.wrong and wrong. I've edited the original to correct the information.

Thanks to Mike for pointing it out.

32322416688_71699f151a_b.jpg

Although it's a different design of fairing, the photos show the one fabricated for the restoration of Hurricane I R4118.

The example seen in the Townsend photo may have been related to a leading edge cannon fairing, but its position is in the inner wing rib bay beside the armament bay, as in the collage of R4118's restoration photos, with a scrap view of Hurricane IIa Z3055's spar (same wing) thrown in to show wing rib attachment points.

The moral of this post being just because you researched something only a couple of years ago, don't assume you've retained all the finer points, even if you think you probably have.

Still can't believe I mis-remembered the radiators after all the digging into its construction I did. Sheesh!

32322557428_9e15093098_b.jpg

Nice to see your interest guys, and nice to see you checking in Quang.

Edited by Chek
spelling - Hurricaane indeed. What is this- Jumpin' Jack Flash?

• 2 years later...