The Aussies and the AEG

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, all.....more progress to report. Major construction complete, initial pin washes and some weathering done in spots. All struts and rigging in place.

lNgsEi.jpg

One area of concentration has been on replicating the look of paint washed away by spilled aviation gas. I looked through as many pix as I could and found that using Polly Scale Paint and Decal Remover, diluted and in SUBTLE amounts, removed the color of the decals, but left the white backing in place. This worked perfectly as a canvas onto which to apply various glazes and washes. You can also see the beginning of prep. to mount the starboard engine in a very crooked position, the result of a forced and hard landing. I bent the side struts using the heat from a stick of incense.

DEefzO.png

HiItg5.png

dMFQHa.jpg

The original aircraft's wings were removed for transport so, to replicate this look, I created the mounting hardware from scratch. I still need to clean these bits up and do some judicious weathering. A BIG THANK YOU to Richard Alexander at WnW for hearing my cries for help and adding additional wing root images to the WnW website!

OMzycV.jpg

The empennage has also been removed for transport. I hope the purists in the crowd will forgive me for dummying up the mounting hardware. I have images of the original but what I created is a total fabrication. Why? Well, I forgot to fill the slots into which the elevator was supposed to go. Once the decals were in place, they adhered beautifully....sinking into the slots and leaving big troughs along that portion of the fuselage. As this poor model had already been stripped and resurfaced three times, I chose not to do so again. Hence, the phony mounting hardware you see here. I just keep repeating to myself "it's only a model, it's only a model......."

dKgIty.jpg

Thanks for having a look.

Cheers from NYC,

Michael

I want to take this opportunity to offer a sincere Thank You to Karim Bibi for his AEG book and to Kevin Futter for making it available. I find the thought process, research and execution that Karim display to be truly inspirational. 

Michael,

The thank you goes to you!

Sorry to be a bit late to the party, but i have been bogged down with flying lately!

You're doing a magnificent job on the AEG and it's turning into a real stunner!

As Kevin rightly put it, if our book has inspired you in any way, or helped out, then it's mission accomplished, and it's very humbling and rewarding!

model on!

Karim

many thanks, guys!

Karim, trust me, I spent 25 years show business and live in New York City: I'm not going to give compliments if they are not really well deserved! LOL! I am finding the book to be extremely helpful and, as I've said before, inspirational. I hope you'll consider doing more in the same vein! I'll sure buy them!

Cheers from Florida (for the moment)

Michael