A29 Super Tucano US Marines LAS

Rick K

It's been a crazy few months with another knee surgery, kids soccer and swim team ramping up.  All good.  However, bench time took a hit.

I binned the Ju88 Mistel 2, MDC Typhoon and FW190C conversions for the time being.  All that resin cleaning, hollowing and fitting was killing my mojo.  So I took a break and worked on 2 Eduard 1:144 Spitfires.  No WIP images as I just wanted to do a build and relax.  I feel much better now.

On the bench is Hobby Boss's EMB-314 Super Tucano which will be built as a fictitious USMC A-29 LAS aircraft based somewhere in Afghanistan.  3 tone Lo Vis gray camo FS(36) 495, 320, 375 will be applied with a load out of 4 GBU12's.

A29_BoxArt.jpg

Hobby Boss EMB-314 Super Tucano will be the base kit.  Test fit yields good fit with light panel lines.  The Hobby Boss trademark "seam" on the canopy is there.  Good news, on actual A29's based in Afghanistan there is some type of center seam on the canopy.  Is it an antenna?  Expansion joint to survive in the hot dessert conditions?  Not sure.

Scooter.jpg

Using Furball's Devil Dog Scooter decal sheet I am going to use the Lo Viz marking from VMA-311.  Obvious the intake warning, aircraft ID decals will not be used.  I will use a few of the kit decals for stencils, etc.  Serial number decals will be generated from my laser printer.

A29_AM03.jpg

AVM A29 Super Tucano LAS resin set will be used.  This set includes a FLIR, armor belts, centerline "wet"mount, chaff & flare dispensers, laser range finder and corrected underwing belly box.

A29_AM04.jpg

Usual Eduard goodies will be used.  I will only use landing gear and a few other PE exterior parts as the access doors and panels give the model clunky out of scale look.  The real A29 the access doors and panels are quite smooth. 

A29_AM01.jpg

Quickboost gun barrels and exhaust sets.

A29_AM02.jpg

Eduard Brassin GBU 12's will serve as the load out.  Great detail.  Started cleaning...add colorful metaphors here.  smile.png

Guest Peterpools

Rick

Terrific choice for your build and will be following intently for sure

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Absolutely with you for great 32nd scale kits some one should kit.

Of course, a Grumman OV-1 & A-D would also be a treat.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Nice project, Rick! Now there's a subject I'd love to see in 1/32 (along with the PC-9).

Kev

Agree on a 1:32 A-29

Rick

Terrific choice for your build and will be following intently for sure

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter

Edited by Rick K

Guest Clunkmeister

Cool plane. Does the US inventory these? I would think the OV-10 does the same thing with extra redundancy of another engine, yeah, they're Garretts, but two will do, and, they're paid for.

Why buy new when you already own what you need?

Cool plane. Does the US inventory these? I would think the OV-10 does the same thing with extra redundancy of another engine, yeah, they're Garretts, but two will do, and, they're paid for.

Why buy new when you already own what you need?

Hey Ernie.

The A29 is NOT in US inventory.  I agree on the OV10 as it already has flown several missions against ISIS.  The A29 and OV10 flight per hour (FPH) is similar.  I might have to do an OV10  is USMC scheme with an impressive load out.