Airbrushing with CO2

Hawkwrench

For me the idea of dealing with a big compressed tank of air is nuts. Too much complication with that and it wouldn't really fit into my work area.

I have a small Iwata compressor which I have to say is quite loud, but it doesn't bother me at all.

When I am airbrushing I find that I am focusing so much I block everything out, including compressor noise.

I think a lot of people who are airbrushing for a living use the compressed tank approach. Seems to be quite a good approach, if you can make it work for you and don't mind dealing with a huge heavy tank, etc.

Good points all. I watched a number of demos last summer and the newest Iwata and Badger units I found to be very quiet ( a muted putter noise). Amazing actually. My wife however would still be unhappy with even these units. My tank is half size and the hookup and regulator is simple. I do miss the portability some times. I only spray primer for resin parts in the garage.

Rick

Edited by Rick Griewski

Cool. I'm lucky to build 1 model a year, so would a 2.5 lb tank be good enough?

Tim

I'd go with a 20lb bottle.  I use one bottle about every 6-8 months and only cost about $15 to exchange.

Try to get one that is used in "Food and Beverage" grade... they typically look nicer but in reality, they are all the same.  The place where I get my bottles exchanged knows me and tries to save one of the "best looking" ones for me.

I use a simple "flow regulator" (FR) for a valve.  It's not the same as a pressure regulator (PR) but I had one and it works well.  I didn't see a reason to go buy a $125 PR when I had a new FR in the box.  BTW, there is no math equation that I'm aware of that coverts flow to pressure!   :unsure:  My FR is metered (orifice) up to 125psi so the "flow" and the "pressure" is roughly the same at the pressure we airbrush (testing that is a different thread  :o​ ). The 20lb bottle holds about 800 psi based on the temp in my house.  I rarely spray above 25psi. but have use a small sandblaster at 40 psi with no problems.  

Is

CO2 cheap in the US? Damned spendy here in Aus.

How do you negate the cooling at the regulator as it goes from liquid to gas?

Matty

I think that a refill for me, is about $25, which I do every two years or so.

Cool. I'm lucky to build 1 model a year, so would a 2.5 lb tank be good enough?

Tim

I don't know why not, but I'd recommend a 20lb tank, just to avoid more frequent refills. Refills, as such, is a bit misleading; when I get a new bottle, it's one that has already been tested, then refilled. The gas company would never refill an existing bottle without pressure testing it first.

Hi Kev, I wouldn't wait with the chain... I saw a large pressure canister fall over once in a warehouse and the nozzle broke off and that thing turned into a missle and punched a hole right through the concrete wall and slammed into the next wall before stopping.... you should ALWAYS take precautions when using a pressure cylinder anywhere...

Cheers

Alan

I can't really argue with that, and do intend to chain it to the new workbench legs, once those benches are completed.

I actually found a refurbished 4 lb bottle on sale for $39. Not a 5 lb, but 4. It's 20 inches tall by 4 inches round. I'll get it. I plan on buying some 4 inch pvc tubing and secure it to my table and just set the bottle down inside. Just gotta find a dual gauge regulator now.

Tim

Edited by Hawkwrench

So I have another question kinda off topic, but I want to buy a Badger 200 gravity feed airbrush. They come in fine needle and medium needle. What's really the difference?

I don't plan on modeling much camo, I'm a helo guy, so what would be best for me?

Tim

So I have another question kinda off topic, but I want to buy a Badger 200 gravity feed airbrush. They come in fine needle and medium needle. What's really the difference?

I don't plan on modeling much camo, I'm a helo guy, so what would be best for me?

Tim

Hi again Tim,

Sounds like you'll need that second airbrush slot on the holder afterall! I would go for the “fine†needle variant - it is probably around .3mm apperature which will allow you to create finer lines. For larger spray coverage you might want to invest in another airbrush that has around a .5 apperature - you can cover more surface area quicker - like when you lay down a primer or single color camouflage. I have two airbrushes now, one is .3 and the other is .5. Both have their place and I enjoy using them both. I got tired of having to use the .3 to lay down a primer coat.

There are lots of reasonably priced airbrushes out there!

Cheers

Alan

Post edit: have a look here...

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=73278

Edited by alaninaustria

Ok now, this is getting confusing. I just want to buy a badger 200 gravity fed airbrush. But no, I am seeing badger 200's, 200G, 200 GF, 200-20, 200-10.

What's up with all these part #'s???

I've looked on the badger website, and all it says is badger 200. That's all, nothing else. Need some help here! Please

Tim