1/32nd scale vacform Halifax - COMPLETED

I've completed the starboard wing now, with the outboard engine being added and various other details added to the nacelles such as the cowling fasteners etc. I've also made some slightly raised details from very thin plastic card such as the fuel filler caps and various removable panels, as well as the three winching holes on the upper wing situated above the bomb-cells on the inner sections of the wing:

S1030020.jpg

S1030018.jpg

S1030011.jpg

There's still some work to do on the radiator intakes, I need to add the radiator shutters and I need to make the smaller carburetor intakes for each side of the nacelles, but this work will be done later on in the build when the wings are attached to the fuselage and the risk of damaging them is reduced a little.

Both wings are now looking a bit more Halifax-like:

S1030022.jpg

S1030024.jpg

S1030009.jpg

S1030006.jpg

I've also started some preliminary work on the wing bomb-cells, as I want to detail these whilst the wings are off as it's much easier to handle them before they are added to the fuselage.

I'll update you again when the bomb-cells are completed.

Tom

Thank you for the kind words  :)

There's more progress to report on this build, as I've done some preliminary work on the fuselage. Fellow member Cees sent me his fuselage that he didn't get around to finishing, upon which he had made a most impressive start (and in the meantime has saved me a great deal of work!) Thank you Cees!

I pieced the fuselage halves together after joining the sections (Cees had cut them into three separate pieces) and have done little further cleaning up of the parts etc. I've also added interlocking tabs on each side of the fuselage to enhance the joins when it comes to gluing them together:

S1030038.jpg

S1030035.jpg

S1030029.jpg

S1030026.jpg

I've also had a play with the wings - they are just resting alongside the fuselage at the moment but give a taste of things to come - I must say ID Models have got the shape spot on to my eye and it looks every inch a Halifax to me:

S1030032.jpg

S1030033.jpg

I'm now going to continue on Cees' excellent work and crack on withe the interior - plastic card at the ready!

Tom

Hi Tom,

Wow you move fast, looks great. Good to see you get the fuselage in one piece again after my

butchering session.

The basic shape ID Models is correct apart from the taper at the nose and tail. It took me hours to

Hack away plastic to get an acceptable result. The later Halifax with streamlined nose

Was a good looking aeroplane.

If you need any help regarding details let me know. Pity I didn't keep the undercarriage legs as I had

Made a set fom thick plasticcard. But they are easy to make.

Cees

Tom, you make it look so straightforward to turn huge hunks of plastic into masterpieces - I am awestruck every time you post :popcorn: :popcorn:

...it's so inspiring, there is a very real danger I will risk my sanity and try a big vac for my next build  - for that, I am not sure whether to to be thankful or not :coolio:

..loving this..every single bit of it..

Peter

Hi Tom,

Wow you move fast, looks great. Good to see you get the fuselage in one piece again after my

butchering session.

The basic shape ID Models is correct apart from the taper at the nose and tail. It took me hours to

Hack away plastic to get an acceptable result. The later Halifax with streamlined nose

Was a good looking aeroplane.

If you need any help regarding details let me know. Pity I didn't keep the undercarriage legs as I had

Made a set fom thick plasticcard. But they are easy to make.

Cees

Thanks again Cees - be sure to keep a watchful eye on me and tell me if I'm doing anything wrong!

Tom, you make it look so straightforward to turn huge hunks of plastic into masterpieces - I am awestruck every time you post :popcorn: :popcorn:

...it's so inspiring, there is a very real danger I will risk my sanity and try a big vac for my next build  - for that, I am not sure whether to to be thankful or not :coolio:

..loving this..every single bit of it..

Peter

Peter,

I hope this does inspire you to build a big vac - the more of us who build kits like this the better in my opinion to keep the old school modelling skills alive!

I've made some more significant progress with the fuselage interior over the last week.

I've been concentrating on the interior structure of the flightdeck, engineer's compartment and nose, which includes the wireless operator and the navigator/bomb-aimer areas.

The thicker, vertical ribs were added first from Evergreen strip and bent to shape, and then each of the thinner stringers were carefully measured, cut, and added individually over a few sessions banghead.gif

Here is the starboard side with the basics of the heating duct as well as the steps down from the upper flight-deck level:

S1030041.jpg

S1030050.jpg

This is the port side with the compartment for the radio operator (rear) and the navigator's desk made from plastic card. The flightdeck itself will sit above this:

S1030043.jpg

S1030047.jpg

Both sides together:

S1030045.jpg

There are still many more details to be added to these areas, but as the main structure was complete I wanted to get a coat of paint on to see how it looks. The colours are slightly off here due to fluorescent lighting but you get the general idea: 

S1030054.jpg

S1030055.jpg

S1030061.jpg

I've sprayed the rear part of the fuselage matt black as this won't be seen and therefore I just wanted it to look dark inside thought the little windows in the rear sections of the fuselage.

I'll now begin working on the interior bulkheads etc. and the flightdeck itself...

Until next time,

Tom