I taped the tail assy to the Revell kit to check overall fit and alignment. There is no way of attaching the tail to the fuselage, other than superglue. I have been thinking about drilling and inserting plastic rod in it, this would give a stronger bond. The tail is square and the lower panel lines match (upper lines are not supposed to match).
You will have to do a fair amount of filler work since the whole forward end of the tail is beveled. After attaching, filler and scribing will be needed.
The top of the fairing where the horizontal tail connects has quite a few bumps and pinholes. The problem is on both sides, but worse on the right. I checked the other tails I have and they have the same issue in the same spot, so it appears to be a mold problem.
All three tails have these raised lines, again, probably scratches in the mold. Really no big deal, as a swipe or two with a sanding stick will eliminate these completely.
The back edge on both sides have these bubbles, which look to be trapped air in the mold. I’m guessing that these bubbles are common to a most large resin pieces. But still a pain to fill.
Horizontal tail pieces seam ok, a few pinholes in one elevator, and it looks like a piece of blue mold material is trapped in one part, I will treat this as a pin hole, hog it out and fill it. The balance tabs on both elevators are either too short on one or too long on the other. (I checked all three sets, they are all identical). The rudder is well done, but appears wrong, no rib details. This can be fixed with plastic strips and sanding, but I probably will try to use the kit part instead if it fits. The tail gear doors are attached to the rudder sprue.
This is the worst part of the kit. The tail wheel area is rough. There will be a lot of cleanup needed here. Not really sure what to do, this will need studying. Maybe ther is a way to drill out the tail and use the kit parts.
After playing with the kit parts today, I believe I figured out a way to adapt the kit parts by using the sides and tailwheel doors. It will require a bit of drilling and dremeling. I believe I can have the tail wheel installed with about an hour’s work. Or you can easily build a wheels up mustang with this kit and tail. That is the simplest.
It’s easy to pick out all the flaws of the parts, but I am keeping in mind this is an $11 conversion set, so this has to be weighed. A little elbow grease to get rid of pinholes and a few surface flaws is not bad.
I have the following recommendations for improvements that these tails need:
1. Engineer a plug to fit inside the end of the fuselage, there needs to be some way to attach it positively, I could see bumping it and breaking it off the forward part. Get rid of the bevel that needs to be filled. You made a perfectly squared tail, it would be easier to sand it flush with the Revell parts than to fill, sand, then scribe. I would rather it be a little oversize and sand to fit.
2. Fix some of the surface flaws (bumps and pits) around the horizontal tail, this is a hard spot to get in to sand.
3. Give us a fabric rudder please. This one looks wrong, I could not find any references of a metal rudder.
4. Fix the tail wheel area! This is the single most important revision. At least make it the same size as the Revell tail. Make the inside smooth and give us some side panels to glue inside the tailwheel well, or, just leave it smooth.
At $11, all these flaws except the tail wheel well can be overlooked. I would rather pay $20 and have the issues corrected. In the end, I will still use a couple of these, however getting ahold of a Revell kit right now is a bigger issue.
Edited by 1to1scale, 18 February 2018 - 04:51 AM.