Albatros B.II My first WNW

Not only my first WNW but my first post here as well.

This was quite a change from the Luftwaffe stuff I'm used to doing and I don't do much in 1/32.  Although WNW could have me rethinking this.

Excellent kit (guess they all are).  Fun all the way through like a book you can't put down.

One question for those of you who have built this one.  What's the deal with the port upper wing?  I was thinking it was warped but both this and the other unbuilt in my stash are the same.  Furthermore every online build I've seen, that port wing has a hump in it.  Period pics don't show it and I can't imagine it would fly if it was really that different from the starboard.  I got some of it out of mine but not nearly enough I think.

So here we go...

AlbatrosBII-001.jpg

AlbatrosBII-020.jpg

AlbatrosBII-090.jpg

AlbatrosBII-100.jpg

AlbatrosBII-080.jpg

AlbatrosBII-010.jpg

AlbatrosBII-040.jpg

hmmm...there seems to be some difficulty getting the full size images.  Oh well I'll figure that out for next time.

Don't have a fancy signature.

guess I'll work on that next.

Thanks for looking.

b

Superb build, Bruce! Nothing wrong with the photos, either - they appear to be loading fine to me.

May I publish it on the website?

Kev

Thank you Kevin.  Yes, you may publish.  I would be honored.

Gorgeous job for your first wingnut kit! I'm looking at my copy now, where is the bump you're talking about? Can't see anything except at the wingtip on each wing where the end of the spar would be curved under the fabric.

Remove the top wings from the sprue and look at them head on.  The starboard wing is concave spanwise (IMHO as it should be), the port wing is convex spanwise and has a noticeable dip at the root.  It also does not have the same camber as the starboard causing the starboard trailing edge to be lower.  I first thought this was just warping from the tight boxing but further examination suggests they might be molded this way.  Both my copies are the same and every online build shows it to one degree or another.

I can't see this difference in the wings of either Mr. Jackson's replica or the museum piece so it makes no sense to me why they would have done it deliberately.

When the 'Late' model comes out it will be interesting to see if it is the same.

I'd definitely like to know if your example does not appear warped.

I think I see what you're talking about, it looks in my copy as though the right wing bows upwards slightly along the span. It's possible that they were packaged tightly from the factory in China which caused a slight warping in one wing. If it's bugging you, maybe try give both halves a dip in hot water and see if one adjusts to match the other. I'd be interested to hear what you find if you try that.

Remove the top wings from the sprue and look at them head on.  The starboard wing is concave spanwise (IMHO as it should be), the port wing is convex spanwise and has a noticeable dip at the root.  It also does not have the same camber as the starboard causing the starboard trailing edge to be lower.  I first thought this was just warping from the tight boxing but further examination suggests they might be molded this way.  Both my copies are the same and every online build shows it to one degree or another.

I can't see this difference in the wings of either Mr. Jackson's replica or the museum piece so it makes no sense to me why they would have done it deliberately.

When the 'Late' model comes out it will be interesting to see if it is the same.

I'd definitely like to know if your example does not appear warped.

Real good work there Bruce! By the way what is the exact color on the cowl panels? Grey or light  green?

Thank you!

It's Grey-Green.

With no experience in this genre and with my research limited to the web and WNW instructions, I relied on WNW for color reference.  The instructions call out Tamiya XF76 Gray Green (IJN).  So I went with that.  In fact, with the exception of the metalics, all the colors are Tamiya and mixed according to WNW.  Oh, and oils for the wood effects of course.