Wingnut Wings - Fokker D.VII F "Ernst Udet" // 1/32

elmarriachi

Back again... one half day holiday and lot of news .... :) 

I have finished the cockpit and the engine, mounted all these parts together and added some last oil  colors to everything.... finished cockpit:

cimg7113_800x6005jcds.jpg

cimg7114_800x600c8fbj.jpg

cimg7115_800x600mccpz.jpg

cimg7117_800x6003offw.jpg

cimg7119_800x600bxd3k.jpg

cimg7121_800x600iic72.jpg

cimg7122_800x6009qe86.jpg

Then I added the Lozenge decals at the inside of the fuselage and installed the cockpit in it.... after that added the 2nd half and fixed both halfes with tape. 

cimg7157_800x600msi1f.jpg

cimg7159_800x600xhcjr.jpg

cimg7165_800x600akdw2.jpg

BR
Michael

Hello,

I need your help .... maybe somebody knows more about this plane from Ernst Udet.... I found in the internet several different pictures of this Fokker.

Fuselage is red on the outsides and on top with the white stripes.... downsides some pictures with Lozenge, some pictures red.

Wheels - sometimes red, sometimes with Lozenge

Upper wing - top red / white stripes, downsides too - and some pictures downside with Lozenge

Lower wing - upperside and downside Lozenge

What do you think? 

Best regards,

Michael

Michael,

Are any of those pictures dated? It would be logical to infer that the photos with lozenge were taken earlier than the ones with more red, so both would be appropriate. Or are you asking which we prefer?

Cheers, Tom

Udet flew several Fokker DVIIs - at least three different ones.

His 1st one was red fuselage, red/white striped top wing (some say black and white stripes), lower wing lozenge, the words "Du Doch Nicht!!" on elevators, Lo! on sides, Chevron on top and bottom of horizontal tail surfaces:

example:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=47909&hl=

He flew a second one that was lozenge overall with just Lo! on the sides and I think the standard Jasta 4 markings

His third one was a Fokker DVIIF with lozenge top and bottom wings, red fuselage and Lo! on the fuse sides.

May have been more but those were the main examples where photos exist.

Hello at all...

let's start the painting :)

At first I have masked the cockpit, engine and all parts which were already finished and painted. 

Then I have preshaded all the seams on the wings and on the bottom of the fuselage with a pencil before airbrushing everything in matt white. After some time for drying I have masked the white stripes on the upper wing and on the top of the fuselage. The upper wing is masked on top and down side exactly... as if the stripes will go around the wing. 

The red painting followed on everything..... 

After a short period for drying I quickly removed the maks already. Luckily everything worked fine! 

Then I added the decals on the fuselage and the crosses on the top wing (these are still wet and full of softener on the pictures).

Now have a look..... I fell in love with the small beauty..... :)

cimg7176_800x600hnsap.jpg

cimg7179_800x600dzsot.jpg

cimg7182_800x600qisqm.jpg

cimg7185_800x600o1so9.jpg

cimg7187_800x600jvst3.jpg

cimg7204_800x600grs6x.jpg

cimg7213_800x600tqsas.jpg

cimg7214_800x6001usv1.jpg

The propeller was painted in beige, before masking the different layers of wood. Then painted everything in dark brown and removed the masks.... after drying adding a layer of clear orange. Then painted the propeller with oil color burned umbra completely and left it dry for about an hour, before wiping the oil color away in the direction of the grain....

cimg7190_800x6007ds3i.jpg

The next steps are the Lozenge decals on the lower wing, then matt clear coat on everything, painting the details on the fuselage and the wheels.... then washings on everything and olderings....  :)

BR
Michael