Converting a Tamiya 1.32 spitfire to a Seafire MK XV or higher

Navy Elephant

Does any reader have any suggestions as to:

Best Tamiya donor kit, OR if not Tamiya then whose?

Who does a conversion kit - with Griffon engine profile nose, arrestor hook (A frame or Stinger tail), other required external/visually obvious changes (e.g. air intake, radiators etc.)

Foolish plan or possible to achieve without massive heart ache?

Here's a nice scratchbuilt conversion of a Tamiya Spitfire to a Seafire 47 with fantastic drawings.  Actually if you peruse this person's site there are a bunch of fantastic builds and his drawings seem pretty darn good.  Not aware of any specific conversion sets but others may know more.

Hope this helps,

Bob

http://www.geocities.jp/yoyuso/spit47/spit47e-1.html

AA Models - you can find them on ebay - produce a few Seafire conversations, intended for the Revell kit, but should be able to use on the far superior Tamiya offering. If the Seafire you wish to model has a retractable tail wheel, go with the Mk.VIII, if fixed, Mk.IX, the ailerons are different between the two, so that would be something else to check, but I think both kits have either option.

Grey Matter Figures do a Seafire XV conversion for the Hasegawa V kit. It may be a good starting point but I don't know how well the nose would match up.

The VIII has both short and full span ailerons but the IX only has the full span ones.

Hope that helps.

Carl

Edited by BloorwestSiR

You might want to look at the Revell 1/32  Spit Mk 9 as a basis for these conversion , Its a Lot easier to cut up £25 a kit than a £100 one 

I built a Seafire XV using the AA Spitfire Mk12 conversion, along with various Grey Matter bits , but the AA full Seafire set is a much better option these days 

ColinR

• 2 weeks later...

Very frankly, I do not recommend either the Tamiyas kit for another reason: the surface details. The Tamiya ones are so fine that adding resin parts, scribing new lines and sanding will probably not result in an even look in spite of the best efforts. Moreover, if you do not want to expose the engine, you are losing a lot of the benefits of the kit. I have a PRXI and

a Mk XII on my desk and concluded quickly that the Revell kits are a far better option in spite of the fact I have the Japanese kits. I put part of the saved money in Brassin cockpits, wheels and exhausts and Eduard LG well details.

As I've said before I'm working on a detailed Griffon set long and short with cowlings which will be a drop in set for the Tamiya Spitfire. The master parts as usual are CNC machined with engraved lines (also CNC machined) to match the manufacturered quality of the kit parts. I'll be releasing them about march next year.

Graham

Edited by GrahamF

^^^^^^ is why we need either a totally new conversion for late Spitfire/Seafires which is matched to the Tamiya kit, or a totally new kit. Even putting non detailed resin bits onto the not quite so great Revell kit would result in a mismatch.

Indeed but at least it is possible to match the panel lines and rivets with a little bit of patience. It is totally impossible to do that by hand on a Tamiya lit as the rivets are too shallow. Do not ask me how I know! I did experiments for ages...

As I've said before I'm working on a detailed Griffon set long and short with cowlings which will be a drop in set for the Tamiya Spitfire. The master parts as usual are CNC machined with engraved lines (also CNC machined) to match the manufacturered quality of the kit parts. I'll be releasing them about march next year.

Graham

I know some think my request is silly but may we please have a propeller that rotates?

Props that don't turn remind me of my efforts as a seven year old.

Tony, hoping to turn a XVIe into a bubble top five-bladed Griffon mark.