1/32 Trumpeter A-4E Scooter: 8/4/17 Crossed the finish line

Joel_W

You really don't need to bother with it since the humped CF-6 didn't have a taped up nose. From what I've seen the taped noses were usually seen in 211's earlier period (~1966-67) anyway.

Ziggyfoos,

Thanks for the info. That's one less concept I have to deal with.

Joel

Joel in case you want to read what the squadron did during the time period you are interested in, the official records are here:

the Command Chronology just gives a brief summary of events, including what weapons were expended in case you plan to add ordnance to your build. If you read the Feb 69 one you can see they fired off a few Bullpups. The other reports are more detailed in which a/c flew when, where and what they carried.

Jari

Jari,

Thanks, and I'll give it a good read.

Joel

Joel-

This is going to be awesome! Looking forward to this. I think the p.e. VG's would be the way to go. I would suggest perhaps bending them first, pre-painting them, and applying them towards the end using Gator Glue......Maybe make a template on paper for placement. That is how we do it in the field on our birds....

And as a side note, I think a base with the ground-based catapult at Chu Lai would be epic!

Pulling up a chair for this one.....

THOR    :ph34r:

Joel-

This is going to be awesome! Looking forward to this. I think the p.e. VG's would be the way to go. I would suggest perhaps bending them first, pre-painting them, and applying them towards the end using Gator Glue......Maybe make a template on paper for placement. That is how we do it in the field on our birds....

And as a side note, I think a base with the ground-based catapult at Chu Lai would be epic!

Pulling up a chair for this one.....

THOR    :ph34r:

Thor,

So glad to have you along on the Scooter build.

I looked at the Eduard PE VG, and they come as part of the exterior set. Way more money then I want to spend for just those parts. From what I've seen is that each one needs to be folded over then glued to the wing surface. Eric, who used this method showed the jig that comes with them. What I don't like about them visually, is that you see those individual pads which are much larger then way was originally molded. I haven't been able to find any close up pictures of the VGs with the National Insignia painted over them.  Anthony went a different route and thinned the VGs, then used a round mask for the NZ National Insignia, cut slits for the VGs and painted it that way. It came out perfect.

What I've decided to do was follow in Anthony's footsteps by thinning each VG by hand (that should take several days of tedious work). After looking at a few pictures, the US National Insignia bottom of the bars lays right along the tip of the VGs, so I'll cut the insignia following that line. That now takes care of the top demarcation line. Measuring the width of the VGs, I'll cut that dimension off the bottom half of the insignia. Now I'll lay the top half on to mark out the where the insignia starts and ends. I'll carefully mask and air brush the white and blue, ( matching the blue will be tricky as I usually mix my own colors with Tamiya paints, but just may go with Model Master enamel as they make the color. Just hoping that it matches the decal color). I'm also planning on leaving 1mm of fudge space around the VGs so if the decal moves ever so slightly, there is no unpainted space that needs touch up. Well, that's the plan. In theory it will work. In actual practice is a whole different ballgame.

As for that ground based catapult base, it sounds great. Any chance you can build me one. I'll be happy to cover all costs plus :whistle: 

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Nice choice Joel! Will be following this build!

Spyrosjzmichos,

Glad you're a Scooter fan too. Hope you enjoy my build and find a few of my build decisions of use to you.

I've got almost enough done in the cockpit area to do my 1st update by the latest this weekend.

Joel

WOW, 3 pages and not a single pic ! Come on Joel, I'm itching here......Harv :popcorn:

Harv,

have no fear, I've done enough on the cockpit for the 1st update. Pics will be shot tonight before I go to work, then post tomorrow after I get up. ( I work overnights so I'm 180 degrees opposite of a normal person).

Joel