Zoukei Mura Dornier Do-335 A-10 (two-seat trainer) W/Nrs. 240112

Jan_G

Guest Peterpools

Jan

What a fantastic start - your progress is amazing

Keep 'em comin

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Great project and progress Jan! This kit is also on my to-do list. I did quite some research about W.Nr. 240112. The article, a previously unpublished color shot of W.Nr. 240112 and many previously unpublished b/w photos will be published in my next book.

I also tried to find evidence for its correct subtype designation. You are absolutely right, it should be A-10 and not A-12. There are several indirect and one direct proof for this.

Based on research I did, this aircraft was almost certainly unarmed despite the cowling with the gun troughs. 

I am looking forward to see more of your progress on this kit.

Cheers,

Roger

Great project and progress Jan! This kit is also on my to-do list. I did quite some research about W.Nr. 240112. The article, a previously unpublished color shot of W.Nr. 240112 and many previously unpublished b/w photos will be published in my next book.

I also tried to find evidence for its correct subtype designation. You are absolutely right, it should be A-10 and not A-12. There are several indirect and one direct proof for this.

Based on research I did, this aircraft was almost certainly unarmed despite the cowling with the gun troughs. 

Roger

Thanks Roger for the tips  :thumbsup:  I will cancel  gun barrels. 

What's the name of the book you are preparing and when it will hit shelves pls?

Can I ask you for the opinion regarding painting of front part of the engine cowling with flaps? ZM suggest RLM 02 and Airframe album suggest RLM 81, but based on several photos I have it definitelly looks lighter than RLM 81 seen on fuselage. So I intend to go with RLM 02 however I'm not sure if this was possible at all.

Im not sure with the color of the upper part of engine cowling as well. ZM suggest to go with unpainted metal as for the side parts of the cowling.

Airframe suggest RLM 81/82 for upper part and even I do not have quality photo which can prove this, it looks to me based on 1 photo that the upper part is darker then the metal sides.

So I would be thankful for any recommendation Roger

Thanks a lot

jan

I haven't given a name yet to the book, but it will most likely be 'Captured Eagles - Do 335' as my first book is called 'Captured Eagles Vol. I' and deals with a variety of Luftwaffe aircraft. I self publish it (like my first one) and the exact date is not yet fixed. I hope to finish it this year though.

The color of the front part is a tricky question. On the color photo it looks like the flaps are RLM 82 green, then there is a center ring that looks more like RLM 02 and the front ring looks again to be RLM 81. The different shades of these 3 "rings" is also confirmed on b/w photos taken at different angles, so I doubt that the different shades are only due to sunlight at different surface angles. While evidence suggests these 3 "rings", logically I don't understand why there would have been this RLM 02 center ring as I would have rather expected either all in RLM 82 or 02, but not a mix. 

The upper part with the gun troughs was definitely unpainted. The different shade is possibly due to different materials. The upper part may have been steel (just guessing) while the rest was aluminum. 

Hope that helps. 

Cheers,

Roger

Edited by VintageEagle

The color of the front part is a tricky question. On the color photo it looks like the flaps are RLM 82 green, then there is a center ring that looks more like RLM 02 and the front ring looks again to be RLM 81. The different shades of these 3 "rings" is also confirmed on b/w photos taken at different angles, so I doubt that the different shades are only due to sunlight at different surface angles. While evidence suggests these 3 "rings", logically I don't understand why there would have been this RLM 02 center ring as I would have rather expected either all in RLM 82 or 02, but not a mix. 

The upper part with the gun troughs was definitely unpainted. The different shade is possibly due to different materials. The upper part may have been steel (just guessing) while the rest was aluminum. 

Thanks a lot Roger for this valuable info!

So I will try to play a little  with different colors  of the front engine cowling

and good luck with finishing your new book, all new knowledge and findings are more than welcome  :)

regards

jan

Looking great!! I like the detailing!! Just one observation: the smaller rear seat has the to shoulder straps reversed, hey should be on oposite sides as the PE end parts should have the longer flat side in the middle just like the forward seat has! Other than that, oustanding work so far!!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria