Spitfire MkXVI, SL721

Dpgsbody55

• 2 weeks later...

A small update tonight, which will give us all a good clue as to the final appearance of this build.  I've settled on a colour, which is Scheme D PRU Light Blue, which is the paint colour SL721 wore after her first refit for use by Air Marshal Sir James Robb. 

Since my last update, I've finished the wings by adding the normal Spitfire wing tips which this plane had, as well as the stub fairings to all 4 guns.  During the refit, all military equipment was removed including the guns, with the gun compartments converted to luggage compartments.  This Spitfire was a lot lighter than other service machines, and consequently had much improved performance.

First couple of pictures are of the model being masked.

NhMvhX.jpg

Mob5le.jpg

I've used 2 sets of stubs from Master models.  The cannon will be used on other Tamiya Spitfires yet to be built.

Next up is the painted model and all the bits yet to go on.

kmTqkS.jpg

mmYgCp.jpg

I've just finished painting on the wing walk stripes, which will get some further attention to remove all the "bleeders".  I had inquired about adding gloss to the paint before airbrushing, but I've decided to save that idea and experiment with it another time.  It will get it's first coat of gloss varnish, markings then another coat of gloss followed by assembly of all the other bits.  After that, I'll finish off the engine and engine bearers and assemble this to complete the model.  This will take a while, as life has intruded, but in a very good way as I need to write a father of the bride speech first for my daughter's wedding.  :m0152:

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

• 2 weeks later...

Update time again.  As I mentioned above, I went through an entire can of Tamiya gloss spray, and still it looked like crap.  However, I thought it was good enough for me to put the markings on, so this has been done.  After that, I airbrushed a coat of Tamiya clear gloss, and it's come up well.  Once well and truly dried, the radiators and undercarriage were fitted, which is where this build now stands.  I've decided for gloss finished, the airbrush is much better than rattle cans.

For the undercarriage, I used only kit components, but I drilled out the up locks and scissors.

QNLUEn.jpg

Tire alignment marks were painted on.

NyjUJP.jpg

And here it is now sat on it's own wheels.

WheWHn.jpg

The canopy is just placed into position, and will be glued onto the slide mechanism once the engine is in place.  Also, the pitot and IFF antenna need to be fitted and the windscreen mask removed, which again will be done once the engine is fitted.  At that point, it will be finished.

Here's a few more shots.

areRjT.jpg

9QptwH.jpg

rt27bs.jpg

7PA3kg.jpg

Work has started on the engine.  It's very bare bones at the moment, but here's where it's presently at.

KuPkOP.jpg

Thant's it for now.  The next update should show a completed model.  I hope :whistle:

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

Michael, here is a dumb question, as I'm sure I missed it along the way, here, regarding the paint... what 'brand' of paint did you use? I'm a die hard enamel guy, but if it is only available in acrylic, I will step to 'the dark side', I think the color is spot on, at least from all the old photos I have seen over the years...... I would like to try my hand at this color scheme as well.....any info you may care to toss my way  would be great...... looking forward to your next update....

Jeff

Michael, here is a dumb question, as I'm sure I missed it along the way, here, regarding the paint... what 'brand' of paint did you use? I'm a die hard enamel guy, but if it is only available in acrylic, I will step to 'the dark side', I think the color is spot on, at least from all the old photos I have seen over the years...... I would like to try my hand at this color scheme as well.....any info you may care to toss my way  would be great...... looking forward to your next update....

Jeff

Jeff, I'm using Model Master paints for the most part.  I prefer to use enamels, especially on the exterior, as I'm coating it with enamel varnish after it's painted.  Also, It's not too clever to spray a mix of acrylic and enamel in the same airbrush, and I only have 1 of those.  I generally use Model Master paints, as they're good quality and have a huge variety of colours which pretty well match the authentic paints.   The exterior colour is RAF Scheme D Light PRU Blue.  I made this with Model Master blue gray, to which I added about 10% Azure blue.  The colour on this plane, in the period in SL721's history is not 100% known, but most sources state that it was painted in the colour I've indicated.  Are you planning a build yourself of SL721?

Michael, will you be doing an OOB engine build, or are you adding more detail?

Don

Don, at present, I'm working on the firewall and engine cradle, but the basics of the engine have been built.  The reason I've started on the engine cradle first is so that the fit of any detail I build to add to the plane can be checked before final assembly.  Hopefully, this will mean I'm not struggling to fit the cowlings and exhaust parts.  I'd like to add all the ignition wires as well as other hoses etc, but I need to make sure it all fits and also that it can be seen.  There's not much point in building a fully detailed engine if you can't see it all.  Certainly, the top and rear of the engine can clearly bee seen, so these areas will receive some attention.  I know many here have only built enough of the engine so that the propeller has something to swing off, but to me, I like to see as much of the engine as I can build, and as much as my meagre talents allow.

I have to say a big thank you to all who contribute on these "In The Works" forums.  You guys inspire me to try something new all the time, and I like to think that each model I build is better than the last one. 

Cheers,

Michael

Edited by Dpgsbody55

Michael, thanks for the 'recipe', I am off to the USA this wintery morning, and will go to the local Hobby Town USA store, as they have the best selection of paints in Spokane. I am a Die Hard Model Master paint guy my self, last summer I heard a rumor that MM was going to stop making some or most of their paint colors , so I went to a hobby shop in Calgary Alberta and spent almost $400 on MM paints, so I think I'm stocked up for the next after life of model building , BUT I will get a few more so I can try  your recipe, and maybe see if I can get an Azure blue and 'stock up' a little more.... another question, how did you find the LifeLike decals, I have both sets, in 1/32 and 1/48, to me they look great, and they look awesome on your Spit............... thanks Michael for the information and your recipe.............I will give it a go, and I love what you are doing on SL721, and yes, my plan was to try my hand at a copy of SL721,( as she is in Canada, here, and if I could make the journey to Hamilton Ontario I'd go see her)  I should get my daughter in law to get some detail shots of it when she goes home on her annual leave ( she is a Major in the RCAF)

I think I read the same rumour, Jeff, and it was discussed on LSP forums.  My recollection is that the rumour was rubbish.  I certainly hope Model Master continue, even if it's re-branded by the makers.  I have heaps of them.

Regarding the LifeLike decals, In have mixed feelings.  They turn out well, but be careful with them.  I also don't like having to put the red centre in the roundels, as a separate decal.  I tore one on the top wing, but I've managed to fix it by mixing up some paint to match.  I found that the fin flash was rather brittle and refused to wrap around the leading edge of the fin.  Paint came to the rescue here, again.  However, if your doing SL721 as flown by James Robb, then they're a must in my opinion.  LifeLike do 2 versions of this plane so be careful when you select your subject.

If you are going to do a build of this plane in  it's RAF service, do some research.  It appears that it was repainted later when Air Vice Marshal Sir James Robb was promoted to Air Marshal.  It appears to have been painted a darker shade of PRU Blue, and in this period, there were 3 different shades used - light, medium and dark.  The light shade you see here; the medium shade is the one typically available in most model shops and the shade used during the bulk of WW2, and a darker version introduced in 1945.  The problem with looking at period colour photos is that the colour depicted in them may not be true to life, as the quality of the film used would vary, some makes depicted some colours rather strangely, and of course, they've aged.

The plane was modified for personal use, as in the RAF, senior officers were allowed a personal plane.  This one had all armament removed and the gun ports faired over as shown on my model.  The rear fuel tank was also removed as was all armour plating, two details I didn't find out until I'd completed the cockpit.  It also has no gunsight.  If you google "Spitfire SL721" you'll find plenty of information and images.  With this plane, you have plenty of choice.  I think you could easily build this plane 4 or 5 times and they'd all be different.  Here's one link for you.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/Stories/tabid/116/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/131/Supermarine-Superstar.aspx

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by Dpgsbody55

Well, trip made to the USA and Hobby Town USA................... they had ALL the MM paints I wanted, AND YES there are lots that are discontinued, four or five of them had the notation on the racks, and the guy at the counter said it is happening...with more to be discontinued...........get them while you can for sure............ BUT on the up side I got the colors I need and I now have your recipe and at some point, soon, I hope I will try and see IF I can replicate your color and process, many thanks for the recipe and color info Michael..... I am looking forward to you next installment....

Jeff