Virginia Marie using Trumpeter P-38 Lightning

dmthamade

I'm pretty happy with the way the repaint turned out, The masking took a lot of patience. I found pics of this plane online, i guess they were taken at different times as the blue painted areas differed from one to another. I guess painting was done as time allowed. I still have to paint the gear doors, and here is where i've opened a mini can of worms. The assumption was they were painted ZCG,  appears they were either NMF or Neutral grey....one pic i did find shows the nose gear clearly. The gear is definitely not "shiny", oleo above shows difference..... well, darn. I guess i could blame it on dirty silver gear....i have to paint anyway, so i'll need to get out the grey.

Don

forgive my ignorence which metal color paint are you referring to?  Mr metal color or one of the acrylics?   I generally use alclad  which is nice stuff but   nasty stuff

aha  after a search you mean the  vallejo line don't you.   The search also revealed  SNJ is OOB  so sad I have a bit of their polishing powder left that is great stuff for NMF

Edited by dashotgun

forgive my ignorence which metal color paint are you referring to?  Mr metal color or one of the acrylics?   I generally use alclad  which is nice stuff but   nasty stuff

aha  after a search you mean the  vallejo line don't you.   The search also revealed  SNJ is OOB  so sad I have a bit of their polishing powder left that is great stuff for NMF

Yup!! The paint is the Vallejo Metal Color line, very pleased with how they turned out for a water based paint. SNJ powders, you just reminded me I have some of these from a long time ago. I dug them out, two bottles of the paint are still liquid and there are two bottles of polishing powders. Even have the polishing cloth. I also have some of the AK True metals paste (think Rub'nBuff), thinking of using these for small hatches.

looks great, for the gear doors I'd do NMF as its a later build series bird

Definitely is a later build going by the serial #, options seem to be grey struts with grey wheelwells, silver lacquer struts with grey wheelwells or silver struts with silver wells. Easy way for me is silver struts and wells.

Don

Man, us modellers have so many options now, hard to decide which way to go....

Don

Finally found some time to spend on the build, have the props built and painted. I airbrushed a couple of coats of X-22 clear and Mr. Color thinner. Did this to see if the solvent would affect the Metal Color or the MiG Acrylic color, which it didn't!!! The mix dried fast, but the fumes are pretty bad ( i have no spraybooth ) Wouldn't mind using it for the build, i'll have to open some windows, maybe a fan to extract fumes.

qCQQYf.jpg

56zOHN.jpg

Don